Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-07, 09:20 AM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Does anyone here use ankle weights when doing Pilates???

I'm just curious....the last few times I've done the 10 minute sections of Rapid Results Pilates, I used ankle weights and it actually felt pretty good. I still made sure I used really good form, and I'm only using like 2 lbs per ankle.

I don't think I would ever attempt to use ankle weights for one of my longer Pilates workouts, but I was just wondering if any of you have attempted this - or is it possibly a big no-no???

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 06:22 PM  
lissalaurel76

I don't think it's a good idea to use ankle weights during pilates. It can have an effect on your balance, range of motion, stress on the ankle & knees, etc... Even if you think you're using perfect form you could have a small difference in your movement that can make all the difference in the effectiveness of the exercise. In dance class we do some pilates & yoga exercises & the smallest error can affect things, such as whether your foot is flexed or pointed, rotation of the ankle, etc... The idea of pilates is truly mind into muscle. Mindful movement. To each her own, but I really don't think it's a good idea to use ankle weights for pilates.
Old 10-30-07, 12:23 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

In her book the Pilates Promise, Alycea Ungaro actually recommends doing Pilates leg work with ankle weights. I wouldn't go too heavy tho with all those rotational moves.
Old 10-30-07, 07:53 AM  
Cowgirl32

it's fine but it's hard to concentrate on keeping the toe slightly higher than the knee so NO stress is put in the knee joint. On wrong rep with wrong form can tweak that knee somthing awful! Listen to your body, if you're up to a set try it..if you feel any resistance going into the joint..drop the ankle weights!
Old 10-30-07, 07:56 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I used to do this occasionally with Ellen's Hit the Spot Pilates (I no longer have that workout); I think it's fine if you keep the weights very light (mine are only 1 lb. each).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 10:12 AM  
DBW

I've used 1 lb weights for Winsor Bun & Thighs.
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 10:47 AM  
HelloKitty88

Wink Weights and Pilates

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissalaurel76
I don't think it's a good idea to use ankle weights during pilates. It can have an effect on your balance, range of motion, stress on the ankle & knees, etc... Even if you think you're using perfect form you could have a small difference in your movement that can make all the difference in the effectiveness of the exercise. In dance class we do some pilates & yoga exercises & the smallest error can affect things, such as whether your foot is flexed or pointed, rotation of the ankle, etc... The idea of pilates is truly mind into muscle. Mindful movement. To each her own, but I really don't think it's a good idea to use ankle weights for pilates.
I fully agree! Pilates is not meant to be done with ankle weights. Doing pilates abdominal exercises with ankle weights can put a lot of stress on the low back, knees, hips and tons of stress on the hip flexors. I also 100% agree with the above post...it's taking away from the idea of mindful movemen and the focus on using mind and body together to make the exercises more difficult. If certain pilates w/o's does concervative or more modified leg and butt work....such as the kind of floorwork used in the older FIRM w/o's than I'd say it would be acceptible to use light ankle weights with that kind of butt and thigh work {traditional floorwork} but, using ankle weights with more traditional abs/back pilates exercises....that's just extreme and not necessary IMHO.

Ankle weights may be suggested for certain pilates exercises...Stott Pilates has weighted pilates w/o's BUT, the weights {Toning Balls} are used in intelligent ways and there is never any weight put on the end of the leg as this can cause a lot of issues with alignment and future injury.
HelloKitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 05:39 PM  
Cowgirl32

OHH, one thing I do use is my Supreme pilates for floor work. I used it for windsor bun and thigh! Yee-ouch! My thighs haven't hurt soo good and results come faster too...
Old 10-30-07, 05:49 PM  
lorajc

I have done it with 1 pound ankle weights and either 1 or 2 pound hand weights before. I actually have the Jonathan Urla one done with weights....but have yet to do it. I also have The Steel Physique which has a Pilates workout with weights and I think I saw a new Prevention workout used weights for the Pilates. I've also spoken with a friend that goes to a studio for PIlates and she says they use stuff like foam rollers, hand weights, etc in their class and thought it was fine. I also really like ones with the band and circle.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 06:24 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I prefer to use Flexbands, or a weighted "toning" ball squeezed between the ankles, or a Magic Circle to add resistance. I think 1# ankle weights is the highest I'd recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl32
OHH, one thing I do use is my Supreme pilates for floor work. I used it for windsor bun and thigh! Yee-ouch! My thighs haven't hurt soo good and results come faster too...
That sounds interesting! Will have to try that!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lara hudson, weighted ball workouts