Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-07, 11:15 PM  
Janga

I really want a rebounder but have poor balance, it's not a question of being "elderly" ... although I'm by no means young. I intend to get one with the bar and always use the bar.

As has been said in the thread, steps and Bosu balls (when used for rebounding) seem a lot more dangerous to me, for young or old. I have fallen in a gym when the step simply slid out from under me on an aerobic floor.
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 08:44 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

How much balance training one gets from a piece of equipment really depends on their CURRENT status. For me, for instance, a rebounder doesn't do much, but the BOSU can still be challenging. For someone who is REALLY balance challenged, just standing still on a rebounder CAN be training! Those little stabilizer muscles are working if it is any effort to stand still. For somebody who has been doing yoga or more balance moves, there may be absolutely no challenge to it. Rebounding STILL gives a great cardio workout with low impact though.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 09:05 AM  
DRD0

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2
I have been rebounding for years without an incidence and find the BOSU a much more unstable piece of equipment.

Stairs are much more dangerous! Guess we should stop using them if possible?
The only real workout injury I have had was walking down the stairs to my basement workout area and missing the bottom step. Yet IMHO there is no better piece of equipment than stairs and I have witnessed my own parents lower body and balance weakness once they moved away from their home and used stairs less often.

Barb S
who thinks the only way to avoid falling is to never get out of bed
I am ALWAYS falling down my stairs, especially with a laundrey basket in my hand. I have yet to fall off my rebounder.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 09:09 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD0
I am ALWAYS falling down my stairs, especially with a laundrey basket in my hand. I have yet to fall off my rebounder.
I can't really blame bad balance for my problem, my K9 kids are always trying to OFF me on the stairs!!

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 09:29 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT
I can't even begin to count how many times I've mis-placed my footing while using the tall step/fanny lift and knocking the darn thing over along with myself. (yes, I'm admitting I'm clumsy). My ankles have seen the fall out!

A full size trampoline is very dangerous vs a rebounder. Though the risk is there, I'm still happy I have one and my cardio is improving greatly, without compromising my joints.
When doing Firm Calorie Killer there are two segments (I think!), where Nancy does step using the 8in. portion of the FL. It never fails, I must not lift my foot high enough, and I trip and fall! I think I have done this just about every time I have used this workout! You would think I would learn. Anyway, about the rebounder, most definitely a big difference between that and a full size trampoline. I have know numerous people (mostly kids), who have had broken bones, and injuries on those things over the years.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retina