Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-07, 10:06 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~
I did all of the really high impact in P90X on my rebounder and it made it completely doable. My knees would have been toast without it. I also can't run or jog outside due to impact issues. But I can do 60 minutes with Cardio Coach on my rebounder with a smile! Well, I smile AFTER, hahaha.

I just reaquired Cathe's Kick Max recently, and I do all the jumpy, high-impact moves on the rebounder. It saved the workout for me.

One tip: to make jumps, etc. more intense, try not to rely on the rebounder's bounce to get you going. Come to a complete stop on the mat (which requires control and works the core), then do the jumps from a dead stop.

I'm another one who cannot normally run or jog without doing a number on my knees, but I can on my rebounder (and sprint as well!).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 03:13 PM  
lselbach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L
I'd like to get a rebounder but have always hesitated because of retinal tears and holes in my eyes (which I've had for decades) and I'm afraid using a rebounder might make the condition worse. Any risk here is too much of a risk. Unfortunately. I'm not able to get in touch with my eye doctor and haven't been able to find any information on the internet about this. Anyone know if this would be contraindicated? Diving and inverted positions are. (I'm interested in a rebounder particularly to help with a recurrent sinusitis.)

Grief, maybe even the jogging* I do is a no-no...???

*ETA: on a track or puzzle-mat.
I've broken blood vessels in my eye after a rebounding session, but have never experienced an eye problem after jogging or high impact step. It was J.B. Berns original workout, for whatever it's worth. I have a nice ReboundAir model, but I'm kind of afraid to use it.
Old 03-29-07, 03:34 PM  
TinaT

My rebounder has a tilt option on it, www.bodyburner.com , so I used it today with one of Gin's Ramp workouts and it was great! I don't own the actual Ramp, but got these from Amazon so I could use my rebounder for more than just traditional rebounding. I'm really glad I did. I really feel it in the butt and hammies this afternoon. I only did the Basic workout to learn the main moves and I was able to do all of them with no problem. The only thing I didn't do with it was the stretching of the calves. Which I have a problem with anyway, so I do what works best for me in this area. Otherwise I did not have to modify any of the moves. I was afraid it would tip on me when I get close to the sides, but it didn't.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 04:28 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
One tip: to make jumps, etc. more intense, try not to rely on the rebounder's bounce to get you going. Come to a complete stop on the mat (which requires control and works the core), then do the jumps from a dead stop.
Excellent point Kathryn, it is important, if you want to get the most out of it, to not let momentum rule the workout. I find that pressing into the heels, as Tracie Long always cues is a good way to keep the 'bouncing' out. Oddly, Burns always says to bounce on the balls of your feet. That does work the calves though. Tracie trains it very well in G-Force.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 04:29 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lselbach
I've broken blood vessels in my eye after a rebounding session, but have never experienced an eye problem after jogging or high impact step. It was J.B. Berns original workout, for whatever it's worth. I have a nice ReboundAir model, but I'm kind of afraid to use it.
Wow, I find it WAY strange that jogging wouldn't bother them and rebounding did. So much more impact in jogging. Did your doc say why?

Old 03-29-07, 05:25 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lselbach
From what I've read here JB Berns' workouts would seem tough on the eyes ---and something I (with my eye issues) should keep away from.

I would use the rebounder for Leslie Sansone and low key jogging by which I mean without much 'bouncing' - just as in jogging on firm ground one should avoid 'bouncing' or much vertical movement.

And now I admit: ...Today I went over to Target and got the Body Burner.
And I cannot get over the difference of doing the above on my puzzlemat and on the Body Burner!!!
I so regret not having gotten it sooner!
I can now see that what I didn't think was jarring, was jarring. But not anymore... And what felt like exercise before seems effortless now.

--It was rereading what Barb said two months ago about the Yogflex which clinched my decision: "The mat on the YogFlex is stiffer and larger than the Walmart minitramp and therefore, feels more stable and easier to balance on besides enabling more directional movement options. The Body Burner according to Barb is even a bit stiffer and that is a plus for me both as regards my eyes and my knee issues also. I think the ReboundAir and Needak would be too bouncey for me.

Thank you all for your recommendations of the BB!
Old 03-29-07, 05:31 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L
From what I've read here JB Berns' workouts would seem tough on the eyes ---and something I (with my eye issues) should keep away from.

I would use the rebounder for Leslie Sansone and low key jogging by which I mean without much 'bouncing' - just as in jogging on firm ground one should avoid 'bouncing' or much vertical movement.

And now I admit: ...Today I went over to Target and got the Body Burner.
And I cannot get over the difference of doing the above on my puzzlemat and on the Body Burner!!!
I so regret not having gotten it sooner!
--It was rereading what Barb said two months ago about the Yogflex which clinched my decision: "The mat on the YogFlex is stiffer and larger than the Walmart minitramp and therefore, feels more stable and easier to balance on besides enabling more directional movement options. The Body Burner according to Barb is even a bit stiffer and that is a plus for me both as regards my eyes and my knee issues also. I think the ReboundAir and Needak would be too bouncey for me.

Thank you all for your recommendations of the BB!
The larger mat and the firm surface should make it excellent for being used as an impact absorber, versus an actual 'bouncing' workout. Good choice!

Old 03-29-07, 05:37 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I edited my previous message to add:
"I can now see that what I didn't think was jarring (using the puzzle mat), was jarring. But not anymore -- using the BB. And what felt like exercise before seems effortless now."

I feel like the Energizer Bunny on this thing...
Old 03-29-07, 06:01 PM  
Mary09

Yeah, I never understood how a rebounder could present a balance challenge, but I have a YogFlex and it feels very stable to me. There's no balancing involved, to me. Well, not much more than on a floor, anyway. It doesn't seem jarring to me, either, so I can't imagine it hurting my eyes. I guess I'm not exactly going nuts on it, though. Just bouncing, jogging, jumping jacks, knee ups, etc.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 08:54 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09
I think she's talking about a backyard (full size) trampoline being different than a mini aka rebounder.

A bathtub is dangerous for the elderly, too. Which doesn't mean much to the rest of us.
Oh, I see. Next question: So, how is a bathtub different from a shower, and are they both dangerous?
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retina