Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-05, 05:39 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

WHFN/Fitprime Floor Burn Review (for Kathryn)

Hi everyone,

I have finally got around to submitting my thoughts on Floor Burn with Tamela Hastie and Susan Harris. My apologies that I haven't posted it sooner = I have been unexpectedly busy and also waiting on the arrival of a new computer. My sincerest apologies to Kathryn who kindly sent me the workout to review.

I know the WHFNs have been around for awhile now and unfortunately I haven't had much time to do them all. I received them as complimentary.

As many of you know, I am not a fusion workout fan. However, if you really focus on exemplary technique a few of the WHFNs may be useful to you. Out of the ones I've tried, I can give Metaboost with Heidi Tanner the thumbs up as a good solid workout for those starting with weights or for the more advanced exerciser who is focused on good technique and improving core stability. I can also recommend Lean by Keli Roberts - again a well cued and executed circuit AWT style workout. My only complaint is that we see an awful lot of Tamela as a background exerciser in this workout - to me, a bit of leather and a riding crop would not have gone astray as she seemed to gravitate toward the camera a little too much for my comfort zone.

I haven't been thrilled by Flexposture or Crunch Time and the others I've yet to look at.

Anyway for those interested, here it is

I actually wanted to compare and contrast both versions of Floor Burn - a tape primarily focusing on exercises done on the floor. On viewing both versions they appear very similar and there are only minor differences between the two versions.

I will concentrate on Susan's workout as I have done it 3 times vs Tamela's once.

Warm Up - fairly unremarkable - Susan does the workout barefoot and doesn't look completely comfortable.

Stretches on Tall Box - includes lunges and the pilates "Thread a Needle" move but lets the hips collapse rather than getting a good rotational stretch of the torso. Also includes stretch for the hip flexors.

Adductions on the floor: Susan encourages hip stacking which is positive - however the movement would be 100% more effectie if she lay down and the movements weren't so jerky.

Tricep/leg lift combination: performed too quickly to be properly effective

Tall Step Inner Thigh: hips not aligned properly - the movement too fast and sloppy.

Bicep Curl with Inner Thigh action: again Susan moved too fast to be effective.

Donkey Kick on Tall Step/ External Hip Rotation - although the target appears to be glute maximus/medius the only muscle group really punished is piriformis which fatigues at the expense of the other muscles. The angle of hip to thigh actually diminishes the activity of glute medius somewhat.

Jumping Move: we are encouraged to lift the glutes - this does work the core, but there are safer ways to achieve the same effect.

Bridging with Glute Pump: To be most effective, the hips must be aligned and very controlled (ie no slop) - Susan's control of her hips in this exercise was poor and the addition of weights detracts from, rather than enhances the exercise.

Roll and Hold to Front: - an advanced move which she does well.

Ab workout: Susan advises to "imprint the spine" which is not very clear. A better way would be to emphasise and demonstrate neutral spine. She does a bicycle maneouvre, but more contol is needed.

Yoga sequence - Susan starts off with a Cat Stretch with a strong hyperextension of her spine - I prefer cat stretch starting in neutral spine or a more controlled hyperextension. She moves into cobra/ up dog and then downward dog - her alignment could be much better.

This is a workout that had so much potential but is ruined by poor teaching and lack of purpose for the movements described above. Unless you have time to burn, I'd give this one a miss

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 08:01 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Regarding the WHFN workouts like Floor Burn which have the same names as older FitPrime workouts--are these virtually the same as the older workouts, just updated?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 08:44 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Hi Beth

Yes they seem to be very similar to the old Fitprimes from what I have seen. Incidentally, the newer material is better thought out and worth a look

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitprime floor burn, keli roberts, tamela hastie