Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-05, 04:34 PM  
Thenu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT
You are correct in say this. I just finished FC and Kimberly is wonderful at instruction and those little reminders we tend to forget while working out. All the ones I've done so far are filled with instruction. So much more than the original Firms. I'm not sure what Liz is comparing them to. Maybe that's the key right there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz N
Tamela Hastie - as others have already previously written, she annoyed me. I did not see one shred of evidence to support her pilates background in her leads - no teaching, no corrections, no form pointers and poor technique herself.
I guess Liz is only speaking about this particular workout of Tamela and not the other workouts (atleast in the above quote)...
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 04:45 PM  
TinaT

Thenu ~

Thank you for clarifying. I read it wrong. I just went back and read it again. I took it as a general statement about all the workouts she has previewed so far. I can't remember her queing, etc. but I know the other ladies really have their "mojo" going when it comes to instruction, queing, and giving tips.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 08:41 PM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
I don't even know who Tamela is. But, I remember Jen Peluso in Tough Tape 2 (I think). Her mugging, acting, pouting and posing in that workout made it so I couldn't do it. She would lift a medium weight for a bicep curl and get this look on her face like, "Look at widdle, pretty me, lifting this big, awful heavy weight. I'm working soooooo hard!" :rolleyes:

It was revolting!
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-05, 08:45 PM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
There is a really annoying background exerciser in the Urban Rebounding videos. Known as "Ms. HappyPants." I cover the TV with a towel on the side she is on and I don't have to see her.

I don't know if that would work for "Lean".

OMG I know exactly who you mean! Her name is Tracy and she actually leads a few of them! If you think it's annoying to see her in the background you should try doing one she's leading!! It took me a few times but I'm used to her now, and my daughter totally gets a kick out of her. Her over-the-top faces and exaggerated body language make me laugh so hard I forget I'm working out!

Carol
Old 05-06-05, 08:48 PM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT
Baballou ~

You are correct in say this. I just finished FC and Kimberly is wonderful at instruction and those little reminders we tend to forget while working out. All the ones I've done so far are filled with instruction. So much more than the original Firms. I'm not sure what Liz is comparing them to. Maybe that's the key right there.
I enjoy Liz's reviews as well but I have to agree with you and Baballou - I find each WHFN workout to have plenty of form pointers and instruction - Tamela's included (ETA I realize she was only saying there was lack of such things in Tamela's workout). But it makes me wonder what I heard doing that workout ... now I'm curious and will have to go back and at least watch it again because I could swear I remember teaching and form pointers. Oh well.

Carol
Old 05-06-05, 10:23 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Liz, I treasure your impressions, both because you're a pro and also I find I tend to agree with many of your impressions.

Izzyp, your insights are great as well, thanks for chiming in!

I've been interested in these WHFN workouts all along, mostly because I love my classic Firms (had them back in the 80's when they really were new and revolutionary!), warts and all. So when folks started raving about the set and production values and how the music is so perfectly synced with the movements, I was really tempted. But I managed to do Fast Cheetah only one time and I just knew it wasn't going to be one I'd do much (traded it away today). Too much busyness, which I'm finally realizing isn't for me. Then I wondered, okay they're lovely to look at and listen to, but are they really effective or just fun (which is good, but fun AND effective is not only better, but best!!!)? I was concerned because they have a few minutes of this and a few minutes of that and esp. where the cardio is concerned, I wondered if there was enough of any one thing in any one workout to be of real benefit. For example, we all know you need, what...about 20 minutes of cardio to be of some good to the cardio system...20 minutes non-stop, steady state. Now the other elements can be pieced together, time-wise, but for cardio, one of the critical factors is time! So if they don't really have a long enough cardio, whether it's purely aerobics or some AWT, what's the purpose? It's exercise, burns calories, warms everything up...but it's not what I would call real cardio .

Okay, I admit, I haven't done these. No first hand knowledge...but I can't see spending what little $$$ I have for these and then find I don't really care for them (remember I don't like busyness or equipment-crazy workouts...that's what turned me off the BSS series!) or they just don't do me much good.

I appreciate the raving reviews (if you like them, then tell us and tell us why) AND the negative reviews (why don't you like them?). So, Liz, Izzyp, bring on the reviews...anyone else, too...PLEASE!!! And thank you
Old 05-06-05, 10:42 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Form pointers

My disappointment with teaching mainly centres around Floor Burn but in each review, I'll let you know what I think on an individual basis. For example, in Floor Burn, Tamela gives some cues that Susan doesn't, but then often doesn't follow through with the cue in her technique.

Given my background, I'm extremely fussy about functional/pilates types of workouts (my preferred background pilates is clinical style where classical pilates has been given a few subtle tweaks to make it safer and more effective - equivalent on tape would be closer to Moira Stott.)

I am more than happy to give credit where it is due, because I am still in search of the perfect ab workout

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tamela hastie, whfn