Angela
MommyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 05:17 PM  
Chris T.
VF Supporter

I've done Metaboost and new Steamin Cardio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnee
I did Metaboost this morning and really enjoyed it as well. I think the intensity is similar to FIRM Maximum Body Shaping (the tri-trainer one with Tracie Long);

Heidi is wonderful in this workout -- poised, smiling but not overly perky; gives excellent pointers and looks lovely. I was happy to work out with someone who actually looks like a woman about my age, is fit, but is clearly not a fitness pro 24/7. Not that I mind that (I love Cathe workouts), but it was a nice change of pace.

One more thing; the colors on these new workouts are really vibrant! This one is a bit more calm because the colors are deep (reds), but Steamin' Cardio looks like it was filmed in Technicolor -- I get the feeling it will be like working out to a Doris Day movie. But oddly, I enjoy it.

Ronnee
I did Metaboost yesterday and can I say this workout FLEW for me!! Even though I love working out, I usually always watch the clock and with Metaboost, it was over so quickly that I actually checked the workout to make sure I didn't skip sections. I *LOVED* it. I have to say that I think the old Firm magic is DEFINITELY back with these workouts. To me, these new WHFN workouts bring back the Tortoise/Hare & Strongheart/Strongbody magic for me.

I would say that Metaboost was about the same level as old FTGU or Tracie Maximum Body Shaping. I thought the music was excellent (and I could hear it perfectly - it wasn't too soft), the production was incredible and Heidi was fabulous. Heidi definitely needs to be in more workouts. Which leads me to my thoughts on the new Steamin Cardio.

I think the new Steamin Cardio is 100% better than the old one. I also think it is tougher cardio-wise. While I thought Kelsie was good, after doing the new Steamin Cardio with no mistakes, I now realize why I never pulled original SC out very much because the mistakes really hampered my mental ability to "give it my all" - I was always trying to be prepared for the mistakes coming up. Heidi seemed very polished and put together in this one. I could also get the choreo easier with Heidi vs the old SC. The music is the same, but there are a few new moves in the new SC - there is a new hopscotch cardio move and some different stretches from original SC. My heartrate was in its target zone for almost 40 straight minutes with the new SC.

I really think Anna and co. did a great job on these workouts. The Firm (and its offshoots) has been a staple in my exercise diet for almost 14 years now. Even though I also enjoy other workouts - Cathe, Mindy, Christi, etc., I always come back to Anna's work.

I can't wait for the rest of the workouts in this series and I also hope we now can have years of workouts to come from WHFN!

Chris
Chris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 06:57 PM  
Randi
VF Supporter

a second try

Well, I did FlexPosture again today and I liked it better this time. I had my stuff organized differently so the equipment changes weren't as bothersome, and I substituted some full yoga poses for the abbreviated ones, and didn't use props where I didn't need them. I also used a dowel instead of a 9-lb body bar (which was too heavy for some of the shoulder work).

So, I'm leaning over to the positive side of the fence. I decided I really don't like this workout as shown, but with modifications it's OK. There are a few things about it that still bug me, but they're relatively minor -- like why does she say she's starting with sun salutations and then do something that's doesn't even resemble a modified sun salutation???? If those of you that do yoga and Pilates can overlook things like that, it's a nice workout that offers some of the benefits of each, but it really isn't yoga and really isn't Pilates.
Old 03-18-05, 07:18 PM  
Baballou

Randi, just to clarify, are you familiar with the Vinyasa yoga featured in these workouts?

Quote:
DISCLOSURE: I DO NOT have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. However, I would be more than happy to have such a relationship, especially if it involves free videos!.
Baballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 08:01 PM  
Randi
VF Supporter

Yes, I've been doing yoga for about 5 years and all kinds, including vinyasa. Just to clarify, the sequence she calls a sun salutation is (by memory, could be slightly off here)
1. Standing with your toes up to a stool, reaching out and up with your arms
2. Taking your arms down to the stool.
3. Taking one leg back to a lunge, going down to the knee.
4. Reach up with one arm and do a side bend from the lunge position.
5. Repeat once on the other side.

No down dogs, no cobras or up dogs.

Then toward the end there's something she calls a triangle but you keep one butt cheek sitting on the stool. I can see how you might modify a warrior that way, but triangle????
Old 03-18-05, 08:49 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T.
I have to say that I think the old Firm magic is DEFINITELY back with these workouts. To me, these new WHFN workouts bring back the Tortoise/Hare & Strongheart/Strongbody magic for me.

Chris
Chris, thanks for being the one to say this. I've been biting my tongue but thinking the exact same thing (down to the phrase: "the old Firm magic..."), since I only have the two 2-pack DVDs, not the entire set. I am trying to hold off on making any grand proclamations (but I am glad you did ) Let's just say I am reeeaally looking forward to the rest of them.

ETA: I did Fast cheetah tonight partly b/c these new workouts renew my enthusiasm for other Anna workouts, and partly to see what they took from FP version 1's, and what was left behind. I could never totally wrap my head around FP version 1 workouts...there was too much kitchen sink going on for me (and not in a good way) BUT I persevered, tried to give them a shot, and consequently I still have a handful. Anyway, I do think , judging by Metaboost and Steamin', that the new WHFN workouts , in general - exercise sequence, pace, prop needs, up+down factor, etc, are superior for me. It's as if they strained out all the stuff that was either too-choreographed-in-a-nonsensical-way, or just too 'alternative' for lack of a better word, for the average bear. what's left is like the old Firm, yet with new, innovative moves added, but none of the wackiness that was FP v. 1's bent - such as stretches as a PIECE of a cardio sequence, or yoga in the middle of the workout. The only thing that actually annoyed me at all in MEtaboost was doing one side - and then 15 minutes later doing the other side. But that IS the Firm and it is something I expect (the first couple times out it bugs me and then I relaaaaxxxxx about it and I realize that in a few minutes we are going to the other side. LOL.)

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 09:30 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T.
I did Metaboost yesterday and can I say this workout FLEW for me!! Even though I love working out, I usually always watch the clock and with Metaboost, it was over so quickly that I actually checked the workout to make sure I didn't skip sections. I *LOVED* it. I have to say that I think the old Firm magic is DEFINITELY back with these workouts. To me, these new WHFN workouts bring back the Tortoise/Hare & Strongheart/Strongbody magic for me.

I would say that Metaboost was about the same level as old FTGU or Tracie Maximum Body Shaping. I thought the music was excellent (and I could hear it perfectly - it wasn't too soft), the production was incredible and Heidi was fabulous. Heidi definitely needs to be in more workouts. Which leads me to my thoughts on the new Steamin Cardio.

I think the new Steamin Cardio is 100% better than the old one. I also think it is tougher cardio-wise. While I thought Kelsie was good, after doing the new Steamin Cardio with no mistakes, I now realize why I never pulled original SC out very much because the mistakes really hampered my mental ability to "give it my all" - I was always trying to be prepared for the mistakes coming up. Heidi seemed very polished and put together in this one. I could also get the choreo easier with Heidi vs the old SC. The music is the same, but there are a few new moves in the new SC - there is a new hopscotch cardio move and some different stretches from original SC. My heartrate was in its target zone for almost 40 straight minutes with the new SC.

I really think Anna and co. did a great job on these workouts. The Firm (and its offshoots) has been a staple in my exercise diet for almost 14 years now. Even though I also enjoy other workouts - Cathe, Mindy, Christi, etc., I always come back to Anna's work.

I can't wait for the rest of the workouts in this series and I also hope we now can have years of workouts to come from WHFN!

Chris
Chris, I agree with you! The old Firm magic is back. I ordered the Push Pull/Steamin' Cardio DVD from Overstock and received it today. The production has just blown me away. They are so beautiful and the audio is crystal clear. I can't wait to get my 12 workouts from WHFN.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tamela hastie, whfn