Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-21, 05:03 PM  
Demeris

Question Typewriters

Does anyone still use a typewriter? Manual or electric?

I had an IBM selectric with auto-correct in the mid-80s to mid-90s. I got rid of it when I got a desktop computer at work, but now I'm wondering if maybe I need an electric typewriter.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 05:10 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

You'd need to buy a used one. Typewriters are not being made any longer, though I think you can still get ribbons for most of the major brands. The last typewriter factory in the world closed down a few years ago. They made Arabic alphabet machines and Arabic alphabet keyboards finally became easily available.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 05:16 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I miss typewriters. I used to be able to type 150 WPM on a Selectric. Miss the sound and feel.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 05:30 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I miss typewriters. I used to be able to type 150 WPM on a Selectric. Miss the sound and feel.
I aced typing in school. Loved those IBM ones. Just think, we know children who have never seen one and will probably never learn to type like we did with the memorization of the keys and which fingers to use.

Ps. It was a Smith Corona. Not IBM

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life

Last edited by tytbody; 07-28-21 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Adding comment
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 05:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
now I'm wondering if maybe I need an electric typewriter.
we still have our Brother correctable electric typewriter at home - it was Brother's answer to the IBM selectric. i refuse to get rid of it even though we haven't used it in over 10 years.

if you've gotten by without one this long, chances are you're ok without one.

i bought a cute manual typewriter for the kids to play with, and it was tough finding ribbon replacements! the lone vendor of supplies was located in town and i made a special trip to pick it up. i suppose you could buy them online, but it's humbug if they're the wrong size. we had to throw it away because it got rusty. i should have taken care of it better. it was $8 at goodwill.

there's a website somewhere dedicated to die-hard typewriter fans who enjoy collecting them and discussing vintage typewriters!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 06:00 PM  
wendug

I think of Tom Hanks when the topic of typewriters comes up. There are many typewriter enthusiasts out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3NpK6INIok

I learned to type on my mom's manual typewriter back in the day. I asked for a computer when I went off to college in 1990 and was given a Brother electric typewriter instead. I got rid of it when I got a computer after college. I don't know if you would "need" a typewriter, but some of the vintage typewriters are very cool and I could see how someone would want one. I like the pink smith-corona typewriter in the clip.
Old 07-28-21, 06:20 PM  
anetta

I think my Brother typewriter is in my storage unit

I love a good typewriter with a good touch-Weirdo that I am, showing my age.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 06:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I think of Tom Hanks when the topic of typewriters comes up. There are many typewriter enthusiasts out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3NpK6INIok
cool. i think of Jerry Lewis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5zjxsCcOs

the school band did this song, and brought a typewriter on stage for a student to type on it! was so cool!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 06:59 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I have a portable non electric typewriter that I am hanging on to for who knows why. I also have an ancient Royal non electric typewriter that my father used to do his income taxes for many years. It is also the one I learned to type on. These warhorses were really tough to use--if the pressure wasn't equal some letters would be really dark and others could barely be seen--so I had to learn to equalize the pressure when I hit every key to make it look right. I couldn't bear to give it away and so it sits next to my DH's grandmother's manual treadle sewing machine. I have many memories of my father using that typewriter. It was unusual in those days for a man to even know how to type and I was proud of him that he knew how as none of my friends' dads had a clue.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 04:04 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I got rid of mine and I wish I still had it. It's quicker when I want to type on small pieces of paper or cards than a computer would be.

Tags
off topic, off-topic