Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-02-21, 11:07 AM  
Garrie A.

Here's my week so far. I ended up binging on Caroline Girvan.

Sunday:
  • 5 minute upper body warm-up from Peloton
  • Caroline Girvan: Epic II, Day 23: It's Row Time! 45 min Back Workout wihth Dumbbells
  • 5 minute upper body stretch from Peloton

Monday:
  • 5 minute legs and glutes warm-up from Peloton
  • Caroline Girvan: Epic, Day 13: Hamstrings & Glute Workout / Dumbbells + Band (used my BootySprout with the 70 lb. band for the hip thrusts instead of a dumbbell)
  • 10 minute legs and glutes stretch from Peloton (with Denis )

Tuesday:
AM:
  • 5 minute upper body warm-up from Peloton
  • Caroline Girvan: Epic II, Day 39: Dead Arms & Shoulder Workout / Upper Body
  • 10 minute arm and shoulder stretch from Peloton

PM: TAUGHT HiiT and Pump classes (I did more coaching since I was fried from Caroline)

Wednesday:
TAUGHT half of a Bounce Blast class (30 minute rebounding)

Yesterday:
AM: Peloton 45 min 80s Pop Ride ( Denis )

PM: TAUGHT Barre and Upper Express classes

I'll be back with today's workout. Waves all around!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 08:20 PM  
Garrie A.

Quick check in:
The Firm: Lower Body Sculpt 1
The Firm: Sculpted Buns, Hips and Thighs (lower body floor work only, no abs)

This was actually my first time doing Lower Body Sculpt 1. It was good, but for a 30 minute lower body workout I'd rather do The Firm's Jiggle Free Buns, Cathe's Perfect Pump Lower, or KCM's Split Sessions. LBS1, although solid, was vanilla-ish and a bit bland although I do like the other BSS1 workouts.
CLX 6/19-9/19

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Old 07-02-21, 10:09 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today was a functional fitness day. I had over 5,000 steps. This morning I went to 3 markets then the rest of the day was spent cleaning the house, doing laundry and food prep for a family dinner party we'll be having tomorrow. All 3 of our kids, their spouses or significant others, our grandsons, my sister and nephew will be coming. DS2 has to work on July 4th so we will have our get-together tomorrow on Saturday.

Beth, thanks for the link to your YouTube video on yoga to build bones.
I think you should post new content when it is most convenient for you. I often check for new YouTubes in the morning from the people I follow to see if they have done anything new but I've also checked in the late afternoon. It all depends on when I have a free moment to watch YouTube.

Pat, I've done that restorative yoga for stress (Yoga With Bird). I really like Yoga With Bird! Sherry told us about Yoga With Bird. I miss Sherry!
Ewww about the durian smell, LOL! I have never tried jackfruit either. I also haven't tried pitaya/dragon fruit.

Garrie, that's exciting about moving in with your SO at the end of the month! I think it's fantastic that your SO wants your guidance on getting healthier. You will be a fantastic resource for him!

I'm waving to Sandra, Cyana, Pam, Carolyn and all who follow!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 10:42 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning everyone! Post and fly, I'm having a Reiki session in a few. Just posting my accomplishments for yesterday:

~ LWR Beach Cardio plus a glute workout
~ One mile walk around the neighborhood
~ 7,500 steps

I really enjoyed the walk, it was misty and cool-ish. I walked to our local Revolutionary War fort and contemplated what this holiday is all about. I live across the river from the spot where the British burned New London due to Benedict Arnold's treachery. And, I was treated by a sighting of the bunny family.

Talk to you soon!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 11:52 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Jari Ripped & Chiseled Upper Body selections
Fitness Becomes You Volume 2 Program C (all lower body work)
10 minute stretch on my own

It had been a long time since I had done Jari so I was glad to get some upper body work today. I really enjoyed the lower body work in Margaret's Fitness Becomes You.

Happy Saturday!
Old 07-03-21, 01:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi all! Any thoughts about what is better, an immersion blender or a personal smoothie maker like a Magic Bullet? My old immersion blender just broke (although the whisk attachment still works). I used my mom's Magic Bullet while I was visiting her and really liked it, but I'm wondering if I would miss having an immersion blender (although I don't use mine all that often).

I mean to note yesterday that I started the book that Linda recommended about Joseph Pilates, Caged Lion. In the intro, the author is at a Pilates convention, and he said that only 50% of those there knew that Pilates was an actual person--and only half of that group knew that he was dead!

Paine, thanks for your response. Afternoons generally work better for me, so I'll probably just try to be more consistent with that.

cyana, dinnertime (depending on when you have your dinner!) is about when I would post if I wound up filming in the mid-afternoon.

Pat, your coolish walk sounds nice. Hope you enjoyed Reiki today.

Garrie, nice to see you. I did a lot of Caroline Girvan before my family visit. Congrats on moving in with your SO soon!!! DH & I were just talking about when we first moved in together.

Happy Saturday!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 03:42 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, I have both an immersion blender and I also have a Vitamix and I'm glad I have both because I use them both. A smoothie maker can be more powerful if you need to grind nuts in your smoothie or in a sauce or dressing. I do love my immersion blender when I want to blend a big pot of soup on the stove. My DH uses the immersion blender to blend pinto beans into refried beans for burritos. What would you be using the appliance for most often? That might help you decide.
Old 07-03-21, 04:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I actually can't remember when I last used my immersion blender other than the recent smoothies I have made! I don't often cook soups and other things like you do, so it's hard to remember, although I have used it occasionally in those types of situations. I might start with the mini/smoothie blender and then if I really miss the immersion I can get that later.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 07:13 PM  
cyana

Happy Saturday. You know it's going to be an interesting day when you have to go to Plan B at 7 AM. I think I mentioned last week-end that my farmer's market was closed today (parade and festivities), so DH and I made plans to go to a farmer's market in a town that's 30-45 minutes from here since one of our vendors also sells at that market. Wellllll.......I'd checked out their web site and was impressed by the variety of vendors, but DH checked their FB page this AM to be 100% certain that we had the correct directions, and discovered their town was having a 4th of July parade this AM (info that wasn't on their market web site). Since the market was inside the parade route and they would've likely started closing off the streets by the time we got there, we decided it would be prudent to go another time. So, we made coffee and worked on Plan B. Later we tried ordering groceries from the Whole Wallet and couldn't get to the cart and finalize our order. After trying everything known to mankind, DH did a chat with Amazon and discovered they were having trouble with that function on the web site (uh....a banner message would've been super helpful). Finally we were able to get our order to go through and picked up groceries this afternoon. We got the laundry done, including our sheets, so it wasn't a total loss - just massively disjointed. We'll be walking out in our driveway after dark to watch our town's fireworks and I'm hoping to get in some yoga, qi gong or Essentrics before then.

I've been binge-watching Bob and Brad videos today. On their web site (not their YT channel, but some of the info is probably there, too), you can go to Programs, and they have multiple videos and PDF's on various topics, so I spent a good bit of time on the hip pain section. I watched the one on whether your hip pain is arthritis and I tick a lot of those boxes. I still have more to watch.

Beth - I primarily use our immersion blender in soups and DH will occasionally make mayo from scratch. I'd definitely go the small blender/Magic Bullet, etc. route if you're primarily looking to do smoothies. I love my VitaMix dearly, but it doesn't sound like you need to pull out the heavy artillery (translated: big bucks) for smoothies. If you have the blender, you should be able to toss some ice cubes and frozen fruit into your smoothies and come out with a nice finished product. Remember me asking about mascara recently? I've used the Maybelline Sky High twice and I'm not impressed so far. I'm glad I also ordered the L'Oreal Million Lash as a back-up (had a Wal-Mart gift card).

Pat - I hope you had a nice Reiki session today.

Paine - I need to dust off my Jari DVD's, too. Hope you have a wonderful dinner party today.

Garrie - Congratulations on moving forward with your plans to move in with SO. I'm with you on encouraging the weights over cardio! I see you've been doing some Caroline Girvan. I did her wall sit challenge several weeks ago while wearing BFR bands - holy crap that torched my legs! I was thinking of trying some of her weight videos - are her longer videos overkill versus some of the shorter options? Are you going to get Cathe's Boss Bands and/or Boss Loops and DVD's? I like the idea of fabric bands, but haven't ordered a Cathe video in years.

People are already shooting off fireworks and it isn't dark. So much for the supposed fireworks shortage this year!

Waves to ALL.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 07:57 PM  
Garrie A.

Today I'm taking a rest day. My glutes were burning after yesterday's Firm combo, but only a little bit of DOMS today.

Cyana: There was a downtown 4th parade this afternoon. I've been impressed with the Caroline workouts I've done so far, although I prefer having verbal instruction during the workout (it's the instructor in me ). IMHO they haven't felt like overkill. Some might consider the back one I did on Sunday overkill, but to me the back needs that kind of focused work. Her wall squat challenge sound nightmarish and not fun at all to me; I'll gladly pass! Yes, I preordered the new Cathes. The Boss Bands clip looks great, but Boss Loops (the one I was looking forward to) looks disappointing. Cathe and crew are wearing the loops way too high. For better glute activation, the bands need to be lower (above the knees).

Beth: I have a Magic Bullet and love it for smoothies (and blending up pancake batter). However, I found that it blends better with frozen fruit rather than fresh fruit and a few ice cubes. Mine also has a blender size attachment that uses the cross blade from the main kit.

Pat: Enjoy your Reiki session!

Paine: I've only done Ripped & Chiseled once but really enjoyed it.
CLX 6/19-9/19

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Tags
twisting