Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-21, 09:24 PM  
TinaT

Does anyone here give Plasma on a regular basis?

I ask, because I am going in Monday to start giving. I'm not worried about the process, but would like to know what I should expect after I'm done.

Will I feel tired, or nothing at all? Input would be appreciated.

TIA ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-21, 04:28 PM  
pgun3

I have never done it but I am concerned about the size of the needle LOL. I don't know if I would do it all the time because couldn't make your veins unusable after so many times?
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-21, 05:03 PM  
Diana3271

I give blood on a regular basis and never had a problem. There was a big need for platelets or plasma, I don't remember which. But I tried to give and had a problem with the vein. The next time I tried it again. Again there was a problem with the vein. They moved to the other arm, again a problem. So, I only do whole blood now. Everyone has different experiences.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-21, 06:32 PM  
difit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I ask, because I am going in Monday to start giving. I'm not worried about the process, but would like to know what I should expect after I'm done.

Will I feel tired, or nothing at all? Input would be appreciated.

TIA ~
I think everybody have different experiences. I never had any problems when I donated plasma in the past. I normally donate whole blood. I know they tell you not to lift anything heavy after donating.

Drink lots of water before and after. Make sure you eat something.

Good luck tomorrow!
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-21, 12:02 AM  
videofit

I didn't know there were two different procedures for donating. I just read something that post menopausal women should donate blood to lower the amount of iron in their bodies. Menstruation used to handle that task naturally.
Old 06-21-21, 01:50 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

my friend is a platelet apheresis donor and she is also an avid runner. she's in her 50s and fit as a fiddle. you can donate platelets up to 24x/year.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-21, 09:32 AM  
jcmclean

I gave plasma for the first time two months ago. It took longer than whole blood but there was no after effect. With whole blood it takes a few days to get back to normal.
jcmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 08:35 AM  
TinaT

So after donating, I felt fine. A couple hours later I felt slightly sick. I think I need to drink a gatorade type drink vs water afterwards. Otherwise, I was fine. It took about 35 mins to donate. (Everyone is different). Though, I was there quite a bit longer to do paper work and do a simple physical prior to donating.. for my first visit. I was there for 2.5 hrs total. I go back on Thurs. and it should be only about and hr from start to finish.

Not a bad way to help others that I will never meet or know and make a little pocket change at the same time. "Win-Win".

Just a side note: I think the finger prick hurts more than the actual needle they use in your arm. LOL
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 09:18 AM  
bubbles76

I didn't know the procedures were different. I would gladly donate blood, but I'm very anemic.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 09:25 AM  
Erica H.

[QUOTE=bubbles76;2930389 I would gladly donate blood, but I'm very anemic.[/QUOTE]

Same with me...I'm slightly anemic. One of my sons is a frequent donor.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
donating blood, donating plasma