Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-21, 05:42 PM  
sugar rose

Stretching: To hold or not to hold?

Some instructors say you should hold a stretch for at least a minute to get any benefit, but Miranda Esmonde-White says you have to keep moving and you shouldn't hold a stretch because it tightens the muscles.

What do you think? What has helped you become more flexible?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 09:19 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

Stretching has changed for me since Lastics and Donna Flagg. She says "stretch in motion: holding a stretch misses the point." "Don't hold a static position or bounce." "Do continue to pull one end of the working area away from the other."
Old 06-12-21, 09:21 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

As someone who loves & does both Essentrics & yin yoga, I get benefits from both.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 09:35 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
As someone who loves & does both Essentrics & yin yoga, I get benefits from both.
I agree with Pam 100%!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 07:30 AM  
Sollamyn

Through the years, I've had physical therapy for various body parts and they always tell me to hold the stretch for 30 seconds and to do it three times. So hold 30 seconds, release, repeat, repeat. But then they also have me do exercises that stretch the area in question in a dynamic, repetitive way. So--maybe both are good?

Donna
Old 06-13-21, 07:38 AM  
fanofladyvols

Definitely a combination for me too.

What works best for me is to do dynamic, flowing
mobility stretches before I workout.

During the workout, I do mobility stretching in between sets of strength and during rest intervals of intense cardio, too.

After I workout, I hold my stretches longer and tense the muscle before stretching. I feel a nice release after holding around 15 seconds so I stop there.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 01:39 PM  
warriorprincess

I'm with Pam!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 09:41 AM  
sugar rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
What works best for me is to do dynamic, flowing mobility stretches before I workout.

During the workout, I do mobility stretching in between sets of strength and during rest intervals of intense cardio, too.
When you say dynamic mobility stretches, do you mean Essentric-style movements? Are there other instructors/workouts you use for this type of stretch?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 11:25 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar rose View Post
When you say dynamic mobility stretches, do you mean Essentric-style movements? Are there other instructors/workouts you use for this type of stretch?
Yes, describing them as essentric style would be fair. But there are many more instructors who advocate caring for your body in this way (David Jack, BJ Gaddour, Tracie Long, Dave Schmidt, Lauren Brooks, Jessica Valant etc) .. I also hunt down exercises from PTs and there are an overwhelming amount of posts on insta.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 08:00 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I try to hold a stretch for between 15 and 30 seconds. Sometimes I will move the muscle as I'm doing it, sometimes I don't, so I guess I'm in the camp with those who do both. I probably need to do more of the "mobility" type stretches than I currently do.

I have heard that the muscle needs at least 15 seconds to relax enough to get a benefit, so I'm puzzled when instructors do short 5 second stretches after a workout. I guess it's due to time constraints, but I don't feel like I get a benefit in that little bit of time so I'll frequently do my own stretches at my own pace.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic stretch, flexibility, stretching