I don't like receiving gift cards. 1 3.13%
I don't like sending gift cards. 4 12.50%
I don't care one way or the other about gift cards. 3 9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-19, 07:03 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I would love to receive an Amazon gift card. It should be a no brainer because anyone who knows me knows I am a huge bookworm.
Update:my son's girlfriend gave me an Amazon gift card for Christmas! I am thrilled

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-19, 07:05 PM  
sherry7899

[QUOTE=LAC;2853442]Agree with those that have mentioned that if you are giving a gift card, make sure it is for someplace the recipient actually shops.

Right now I'm sitting on two Barnes & Noble gift cards. I suspect the givers thought I would use them to buy ebooks, but I have a Kindle Paperwhite, not a BN Nook, and the digital content isn't interchangeable. Amazon cards would have been more useful to me.

I totally understand that! They do have a large selection online, but their prices are high.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-19, 11:04 PM  
bubbles76

I like receiving and I like sending gift cards . Nearly all my family is in GA, and we are in NJ. Shipping at Christmas is a nightmare. Everyone, including Tiny Bubble's teachers and the mailman, got Amazon gift cards. My mother says that gift cards are impersonal, but she sure didn't mind the gift card I sent her lol! Gift giving shouldn't be stressful, so I don't mind when people send me gift cards. Even if it isn't somewhere I would normally eat or shop, I'm sure to find something. Of course, I'd love if it was Amazon or Starbucks. Can't go wrong with those for me.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 03:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
As long as the gift card is from somewhere I regularly shop (Target or Amazon or a gift card to my hair salon for example), I'm okay with gift cards.
same here.

another type of card that is problematic are those pre-paid VISA cards. I received one of them recently, and you have to keep track of the balance (you can look online to find out the balance).

the vendor has no idea how much is left on the card and if your purchase exceeds the balance, the transaction will error out. however, if you know the balance, the clerk can key in that exact amount, and then you can pay the difference with another form of payment.

at one point, these prepaid VISAs used to deduct a certain amount from the face value of the card for processing fees! therefore, if you bought a $10 card, the user would only be able to spend like $7! totally misleading. I think they might have changed that over the years - the buyer now pays for the processing fee upfront which was $5.95.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 04:04 PM  
Carol K

I recently received a prepaid Visa gift card and used it for a purchase that was more than the value of the card. There were no errors. The cashier just told me how much more I owed. I did register the card on the Visa gift card web site before using.
Old 02-22-20, 10:42 AM  
violingal3

Yeah, as long as it's somewhere useful I shop. MIL gave me $100 to Kohl's for my birthday and I can probably spend it there over the next ten years, so DH is giving it right back to her in her card for her bday.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gift cards, off topic, scams