Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-18, 10:34 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

heart rate training

So, in an effort to get into a more consistent fitness regime, I'm playing around with heart rate training for a while, trying to keep my heart within a specific zone and adjusting the workout accordingly as a result. This is for raising my fitness level and mental health reasons, though some weight loss would be a bonus. What HR zone should I aim for?

FYI, I'm 49 and the maximum heart rate I can get to is 184 (which shows how ridiculous the old 220-age is). Any advice on what to set my zone as on my heart rate monitor? Very quick online research shows about 115-130 range but that seems so low.

I'd love your thoughts.
Old 10-14-18, 11:54 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

you are astute in noticing that the age-based methods have a limitation - but the ones that are based on your own body make more logical sense.

sally edwards has several white papers available and she's written several books on heart zone training. in one of her books, Heart Zone Training, she describes how to set up your ranges using either a high school track or an aerobic step.

since you have an HRM, try to see how high you can get it, in other words, warm up and then go running on a track and run as hard as you can for 1 or 2 laps, identifying the highest rate seen. that will give you a "max" guideline from which to identify your training zones for aerobic base building (ABB).

several VFers have done ABB for a 90 day rotation and shared their insights.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 11:59 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Aerobic base building does FEEL pretty low intensity. . . but a season of it (4-6 months) will definitely ratchet up your game. I think most of us work out above that base-building pace and so it feels quite counter-intuitive to think that limiting ourselves like that will improve performance eventually, but it definitely works, at least in my experience.

I am 55 and my max HR is 188 (and that is actually per my cardiologist after about half a dozen stress tests, so it's legit!). By the 226 (for women) - age formula, my max should be 171. Welcome to the very large club of people for whom the formula isn't a perfect fit.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 12:01 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Sheila,
I found the following link to find your heart rate zones. One is based on age and the other on age and resting heart rate. I think the second may be more useful for you. HTH.

https://support.polar.com/us-en/supp...art_rate_zone_

I don’t go by age myself as my heart rate runs high. I wear a heart rate monitor for all fitness activities and have a general idea of what it should be for each of my zones for metabolic, weight training, running, walking, & cardio workouts. I think the more you track your heart rate the easier it will be to figure out your zones.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 01:51 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

A lower range can have great benefits. Check this out:

https://philmaffetone.com/method-step-5/

Well, and probably best to follow the link there for more background info:

https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 03:05 PM  
rhbrand

I really think I might do a few months of ABB.

I think I need to get my aerobic capacity up and I did ABB a LONG time ago, and it really worked pretty well. I think its time for me to do it again for a few months.
Old 10-14-18, 03:08 PM  
warriorprincess

I go by Mark Sisson's Primal Endurance, which is easy peasy heart rate of 180 - your age to build the aerobic base. The idea is you can do more and more work in that range if you're consistent, even up to running marathons. When you do extended workouts that keep your HR elevated way beyond that, you're in the 'black hole' zone which has questionable benefits. Mark maintains you're wasting your time.

Besides, cardio never has a dread factor if you keep your HR low. I do still have to just kind of walk in place through half of a Cathe video, but I do enjoy and do them much more often now. Consistency is the key to anything.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 03:52 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
The idea is you can do more and more work in that range if you're consistent, even up to running marathons.
This is what I like about it...the ability to do more and more within that same range.

I should have remembered it was called ABB. I even have ABB spinervals dvds of the same name. I'll read some of the links.

This is such helpful information you all are providing. The consensus seems to be that yes, it will feel easy starting out. It certainly does take away any dread factor when you are returning to consistency.

Tags
abb, aerobic base building, maffetone method, sally edwards