Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-17, 10:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
On a fun side note... I've met someone recently. I always thought I'd never date again because my DH of almost 40 years was my soul mate and the best man I've ever known. I couldn't fathom meeting and dating anyone else. This new guy came into my life about 3 months ago and I'm very happy! It's a new journey for me, and one I'm excited to take on.
Happy news, Jeanne Marie!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-17, 12:28 PM  
lithium

Congratulations Jeanne Marie! So happy for you...
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-17, 02:14 PM  
donnamp

I have to say, this thread got me thinking, I'm going to be 50 in November, so I'm not sure if that qualifies as being "almost" 60 - but I have noticed that I'm not as strong as I used to be - in terms of how much weight I can lift comfortably. I did change my workout focus over the past few years to do gentler methods - partially do to preference and partially to address some aches and pains I was having - but I do notice now that when I do traditional weight workouts, I have to reduce the amount of weight I lift. I am thinking this may not necessarily be a good thing...and maybe I should focus more on traditional strenght work, or at least mix it up more so as to not lose muscle or strength as I age.

The Charolotte Ord DVD looks like a painless way to do this.

I also have a membership at Chris Freytag's Get Healthy U site (I forgot to cancel and got automatically renewed). I see she has a program called "Definitions' that is all weight training. I may give that a go for the month of October to see if I can get back to using my 10's and 12's more comfortably again.

I never lifted "heavy" - I have weights up to 20's but I rarely used those even in my youth/lifting days. I have always been more of an endurance person....cardio and high rep/lighter weights and body weight. Which I'm sure have their place, but maybe focusing on just strength a few times a year would serve me well.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-17, 04:00 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

From the back cover of Charlotte Ord's DVD:
"If you are a beginner, start with light weights such as 4 or 5 kg (8.8-11 lbs) but to make the exercises more challenging use weights of 6 to 8 kg (13.2-17.6 lbs) ..."

So it's not yet another *3 to 5 lbs* type of beginner workout, thankfully. It's simply shot, not exciting but also very non-intimidating. Each separate routine starts with an intro track where she introduces each move slowly and precisely but you can skip to the next chapter for the actual follow-along workout.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-17, 04:16 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
From the back cover of Charlotte Ord's DVD:
"If you are a beginner, start with light weights such as 4 or 5 kg (8.8-11 lbs) but to make the exercises more challenging use weights of 6 to 8 kg (13.2-17.6 lbs) ..."

So it's not yet another *3 to 5 lbs* type of beginner workout, thankfully. It's simply shot, not exciting but also very non-intimidating. Each separate routine starts with an intro track where she introduces each move slowly and precisely but you can skip to the next chapter for the actual follow-along workout.
And looks good to me after looking at the clips. I think is a good starting point because each body part workout is short. I assume there are not many sets per body part.

I have a co-worker who emailed me recently after seeing me at the office gym. She asked me to allow her to workout with me. She wants muscle. 30 yrs old. I started with Cathe FB. I brought my boxing 1s and 2s for her because I recommended to start slowly. She was just using the elliptical as far as I know, but have basic knowledge of exercise terms. Well, for some reason she was bumping the dumbells weights to fast. I told her to slow down. She missed a workout and complained about neck pain. I think is a physichological issue trying to match the instructors weight. I'm going back to that office next Monday. I'm going to recommend to her this DVD. I'm a believer in patience and safety when strarting back on track.
Old 09-28-17, 05:11 PM  
Sara1000

I got that DVD and have done a couple of the workouts - they are very nicely done, although the instructor uses voice over which is not my favorite.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, dumbbell size, heavy weight training, over 50, senior strength training