Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-15, 05:24 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Yes best arm definition I ever had was from yoga.
Old 07-29-15, 11:40 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I haven't done heavy weights in nearly two years now, and with the switch to low weights and functional fitness, in addition to CS/Essentrics, my muscles have never looked better. I bulk very quickly, so for me, anything over 10 pound dumbbells is just too stressful for my body (all my weight is in my core ) -- finding Tracie Long has been a perfect fit for me. I rotate between her and Ellen/other fusion workouts, along with a CS/Essentrics nearly every day, and for me, this makes my body happy, and I think leans out my muscles instead of contracting them and bulking. Tracie's Defined Lines is an awesome light weight/lower impact total body workout, in addition to all of her Longevity series.

I also just don't eat as much as I used to when I lifted heavy weights and feel better in general.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-15, 01:37 PM  
marya

Lora, there are also yoga workouts that incorporate light weights. The one I'm most familiar with is Iron Yoga, an oldie but goodie, designed by Ironman triathlete Anthony Carillo. He recommends 1 to 3 lb. weights. The workout includes two modifiers. I'm an ectomorph who never bulks or shows any muscle whatsoever (think Ana Brett), no matter what, so I can't speak to the issue of definition--but I do think Iron Yoga is an excellent bone density workout.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-15, 09:24 PM  
Tugger31

For me, I only get definition when my diet is on point. If I'm not watching what I eat....I'm stronger and my arms are bigger b/c my muscles are bigger with heavier weights, and.... when I do TA or Jari type lighter weight higher rep workouts my arms are smaller circumference but less shapely, and I'm much weaker.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 08:11 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have been focusing on the more toning based Essentrics lately...doing one of the hour long workouts every other day or so. I am surprised at the muscle definition I'm getting in my legs. Now I wish I could do the same for my arms and midsection.

I have cleaned up my diet considerably and do think that is key.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 08:19 AM  
poohpeggy

I would check out fast and slow twitch muscle fibers information. Then you can mix it up as best you can and not lose your solid base.
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 08:51 AM  
jenn38

I think Jessica Smith has a YouTube video that covers this question. You might want to check that out.
Old 07-31-15, 10:12 PM  
videofit

Margaret Richard works great for me. Using her workouts almost exclusively for many years now after seeing few results from The Firm.
Old 08-01-15, 09:43 AM  
ncl

I think you can as well...at least I can. I also tend to build muscle fairly easily. I found that with heavier lifting, I was just hurting a lot, looked bulky, felt it inhibited me from moving well in dancing and made me less sensitive physically (for example, I would never do strength training with weights the day of a massage...just couldn't feel the massage as well) and so I cut out the heavy lifting some time ago.

Currently I am doing whatever cardio suits me, Ballet Body and some Dream Body and yoga once/week. I still have shoulder definition, triceps definition, even biceps definition. I definitely have definition in my legs, hams, quads, calves. I tend to carry weight in my hips so that's a place I see less definition as there is a fat layer there. Gotta love peardom.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 03:36 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

As long as you are being challenged by your poundage and you are finding the last couple of reps hard, it really doesn't matter how heavy your weights are. This really is the key to seeing results. Granted, your rep range will be greater, but again, as long as you are challenged, you will see results.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high rep, high rep/low weight, muscle definition