Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-15, 01:48 PM  
Diana3271

Question about high rep/low weight & low rep/high weight workouts

I know the best workout and rotation is the one that you will like and do. Also, diet is a factor in making any progress. With all of that said, what is the best way to use these types of workouts? Should you combine them weekly? Do high rep/low weight one week and then low rep/high weight the next? Or every two weeks or do one type for a month and then alternate out the next month? TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 02:17 PM  
at120

I usually alternate high rep/low weight, cardio, low rep/high weight, cardio, high rep/low weight, yoga, rest. I still attempt to increase the weights on my high rep days by a certain percentage every week. Low rep/high weight was great when I was younger; as I've gotten older, it has resulted in more aches and strains, probably due to age-related degenerative ligament issues.
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 02:42 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
I know the best workout and rotation is the one that you will like and do. Also, diet is a factor in making any progress. With all of that said, what is the best way to use these types of workouts? Should you combine them weekly? Do high rep/low weight one week and then low rep/high weight the next? Or every two weeks or do one type for a month and then alternate out the next month? TIA
I think traditional strength training calls for doing 3-4 weeks of one style of strength training to achieve adaptation of the muscles, then switching to another style (By style I mean strength-heavy, hypertrophy-moderate, endurance-light) for another 3-4 weeks. That is supposed to be most efficient way of strength training, in general.

However, I have done periods of years of just doing whatever strength DVD I feel like 3 times a week consistently, and certainly made muscle gains.

The question is do you want to be as efficient as possible, or enjoy yourself while still making progress?
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 03:22 PM  
Diana3271

Thank you for the replies. I am really wanting to do everything, efficient workouts, make strength gains, enjoy myself, while avoiding injury.

I find that I prefer circuits workouts on my strength days since I'm not a fan of weights.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 07-21-15, 08:09 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. I am really wanting to do everything, efficient workouts, make strength gains, enjoy myself, while avoiding injury.

I find that I prefer circuits workouts on my strength days since I'm not a fan of weights.
What kind of circuits workouts you do? Your question is confusing and hard to answer with not enough details to provide an opinion. Chomper stated great points. I believe you need to repeat a workout a couple of times and increase weights in order to evaluate strength progress.

The workouts I enjoy are the ones that will help me achieve my goal. Is not about what I am feeling at the moment, is about short/long term gains.
Old 07-21-15, 08:33 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
What kind of circuits workouts you do? Your question is confusing and hard to answer with not enough details to provide an opinion. Chomper stated great points. I believe you need to repeat a workout a couple of times and increase weights in order to evaluate strength progress.

The workouts I enjoy are the ones that will help me achieve my goal. Is not about what I am feeling at the moment, is about short/long term gains.
Right now I am enjoying KCM's Lean Body Circuits. For me, this one uses my heaviest weights, 15's. I have been doing this one for about a month. I have done a few other circuits but mostly this one. Some of her other workouts I use 12's, so I can eventually move up to the 15's with them.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 07-21-15, 08:47 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Right now I am enjoying KCM's Lean Body Circuits. For me, this one uses my heaviest weights, 15's. I have been doing this one for about a month. I have done a few other circuits but mostly this one. Some of her other workouts I use 12's, so I can eventually move up to the 15's with them.
Sound good It doesn't matter the weight that you use as long is challenging for you. The problem is when it becomes easy and there is no progressive overload. Maybe changing the workouts every 4 weeks is a good idea too.
Old 07-21-15, 09:08 PM  
Diana3271

I like doing the same thing for a period of time, since I don't get bored easily. I think changing things every 4 weeks is a good idea. I appreciate all the replies.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 07-21-15, 09:11 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been using my KCM workouts in an almost-random rotation, basically using the next one on the shelf each time I want to work out. If I really like a particular workout, I'll do a few from the same disc in sequence. For example, yesterday and today I did Weights 1 & 2. Tomorrow I'll move on to whatever's next on the shelf.

For what it's worth, I have made noticeable strength gains, and have been lifting heavier every time I feel as though I need to move up in weight for a particular move.

As the OP says, the workouts I'll do are the best, so I guess this is working for me.
Old 07-22-15, 02:54 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I remember an old article in Shape magazine (which I unfortunately didn't keep) that said you should do three total body weight workouts a week: one high rep, one medium rep and one low rep. It also suggested varying the exercises. IOW, don't do the same exercises, only changing the rep & weight amounts.

However, since you're not a fan of weights, this may make you feel miserable.

I really can't do heavy lower body stuff at home, so when I add in more reps, it affects my cardio the following day (when I want to do cardio as well).

Tags
high rep, high rep/low weight, low reps