Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-14, 02:32 PM  
videofit

I've never done much cardio other than fast walking outside for half an hour to an hour every few days. I've always been a weights gal. Weight loss is down to diet. Exercise helps you maintain that loss. Besides, when you are exercising you can't be eating at the same time!
Old 02-05-14, 02:41 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I'm so rotationally challenged, but that's what works best for me, so I'm starting to be better at it.
Me too! I have okay results just mixing workouts if I get a good balance of strength, cardio and flexibility throughout the week. But I admit I've had better fitness results from rotations. I think the important thing for me is for the strength/muscle aspect to progress for a number of weeks than ease up for week then repeat. I originally got this idea from P90X, but found applied really any type of program having the workouts somehow get harder throughout the four weeks then to take a week doing more light intensity and flexibility work seems to work well. I think I also get this effect if I start a workout I find a little too hard at first and keep the weight and reps low then work little by little to build up to all the reps, a higher weight (if appropriate), and the advanced modifications. I can sometimes get myself to stick to a rotation if I do hybrid rotations (combining strength, flexibility or cardio aspects from different programs) rather than just doing all from the same instructor. I tend to be loosest with my cardio and that is where I usually mix it up the most. Though I imagine I would see nice aerobic fitness gains sticking to a cardio rotation i.e. Couch to 5k or something like that. But usually I figure if I am having fun and my heart is pumping faster it's all good.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-14, 08:16 PM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
.....But I have a question for Vee: please define steady state cardio for me. I'm drawing a blank. And to everyone who posted, I am re reading, and making notes from your posts because this is great information!!!! Aw, thanks. PLEASE TAG THIS!!!!
Steady state cardio is also called aerobic training. The goal is to elevate heart rate through movement, but the movement is not allowed to get so intense to the point of shortness of breath. Walking is a good example of steady state cardio.

The alternative form of cardio is interval cardio. You repeatedly alternate high and low intensity for a few minutes each. A good example could be walk-run-walk-run-walk.... Or on a treadmill, alternating walking at no incline with walking on an incline.

There are many forms of interval training. The patterns can vary - moderate intensity - higher intensity - brief burst of super intense - recovery (totally slow or even pause) then keep repeating the cycle.

Typically interval training is done for a shorter total duration compared to steady state.

Here is an article: http://experiencelife.com/article/st...rval-training/

Experts are divided over which is better. Some say try to combine both.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-14, 09:52 PM  
primrosecat

Thanks Vee~Your answer covered all the bases for me, it's so good I'm in awe. That's an amazing article and I tend to think combining both is the way to go.
TO EVERYBODY WHO'S POSTED: You've been a big help and I love this thread. Some of the best stuff I've read anywhere. Everyone's input has validity for me, some reassures me (cardio IS good), some motivates or challenges me (weights and rotations, etc). Well, not just me, but you all inspire anybody whose thread you post in!! Thanks
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, calisthenics, cardio, cardio for weight loss, cardio results, cardio vs weights, weight loss, weights vs cardio