This is my favorite forum. By far.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 03:40 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
ikwym.

i met up with a VFer this past sunday, who is vacationing here. prior to doing that, i told my DH where i was going. he was totally fine with it, but having to describe it to a non-VFer feels weird sometimes.

i remember telling my father who Jennifer R (from the Big Island) was, because she was being interviewed on the local news. my dad, who has never used a computer, just looked at me kinda weird.

i have never met Jenn in person, although we've spoken on the phone several times and made a couple of trades.
That's a funny story about telling your father you "knew" me, hey, in Hawaii, we're practically cousins or something by now, right?

My husband used to call my VF buddies "Imaginary friends" but after he's met at least 8 of them (and visited some of their homes) they're not imaginary any more. He doesn't have online friends like I do, but we have an understanding about their reality.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 09:23 AM  
SuzieC

I was just thinking the same thing lately. Since I've joined VF, gosh over 10 years ago, my life has changed so so much. Many times, reading the forum posts was my only respite on the gloomiest days of my life. I don't post that much, but VF really has been that glowing light that's always been there for me.

One thing that really stands out is the generosity and kindness of the people I've met through this forum. I've had people reach out to me through PM just to provide me with support and "thinking of you" messages when I was going through a rough time. It may seem like a little thing but those gestures meant the world to me.

With so much negativity and darkness in this world at times, it's nice to know that there is still so much good and kindness too. This place reminds me of that daily. I'm so thankful.

I am so glad I found at-home workouts. It's the only way I can fit fitness into my life, especially with a little one at home now. It the one hour of "me time" I really look forward to. There were times when I felt that Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, Karen Voight, Michelle Dozios, and later JNL, Jillian, and now Tracy were my best friends. I know, it borders on creepy, but I love my virtual and screen "friends".

Another thing is, at my heaviest, I almost felt embarrassed to go out. There was no way I would go to a gym. Here, no one judges you based on your body and everyone tries to provide you with the most sensible workout suggestions and ideas for where you actually are in your fitness journey.

This is a great place!
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 10:02 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I also really appreciate the support and guidance that I receive from members of this forum. Right now I am dealing with an injury and a thread was started yesterday about elbow injuries that I am finding so useful. I don't know too many people IRL that exercise regularly and "get" my obsession and the frustration that goes along with an injury. I was tempted to push myself a little but because of the advice in that thread I am going to lay off for even longer. I think I need to start a walking wounded check in!

I have also been gifted with several DVDs which is an indication of the generosity of VF members. I love this place and look forward to reading it every day.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
imaginary friends, vf love