Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-12, 02:16 PM  
BrusselsSprouts

Ooops, my computer blipped and erased my reply to people posting here--I'll reply back later--but thanks everyone !!!!!!!! Food for thought.
Old 10-07-12, 04:30 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

For me, heavy lifting gave me lots of muscle tone, but didn't do much to lose extra fat. It also tired me out so that I couldn't do as much vigorous cardio.
It's too bad because I like to lift heavy.
Old 10-07-12, 04:53 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
I know what you eat is a a major factor.

I think it's simple math - calories in - calories out. Burn more than you take in.

I'm in the process of figuring out my own personal formula. Everyone is different based on age, metabolism and genetics.
That's why we need personal trainers. They take the guessing out of what's going on and can at least send you in a direction you're not guessing at.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 05:18 PM  
GERIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Me too! I have always been very active, but started to put on belly fat in my 50s. A few dietary changes have worked wonders for me.
You have hit on the thing that drives me nuts! Since turning 50, I have NEVER totally gotten rid of the belly fat. A couple of years ago, i got down to 117 lbs (I'm 5'5"), and there was still fat there. So frustrating! I would be interested in anything that you have found that works for this.
GERIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 06:35 PM  
princess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
You can lose weight by lifting heavy, to failure.. but you have to eat right. Muscle burns fat.. but you have to feed the muscle right. If you do not eat enough of the right food and right calorie level... your body will hold onto fat and it will eat your muscle for food.

I find i really trim down by heavy lifting and HIIT/Tabata cardio. But.. you also have to mix it up and do what you enjoy.
Exactly this. I first started lifting weights at home about 8 years ago. Back then, I used The Firm, with 3, 5 & 8 pound weights. For me, that was lifting to failure. I didn't go any heavier until I did Chalean Extreme (aka CLX on VF). I did that 3 month rotation (subbing other cardio like Turbo Fire, or whatever I felt like) using my husband's Life Core weights. My light weights for CLX were 5 pounds (shoulders) and my heavy weights were 30 pounds (squats). I lost about 3 pounds on the scale, but an entire clothing size. I had to buy smaller pants! For me, lifting to failure along with cardio and maybe 1-2 HIIT workouts a week, as well as getting plenty of protein were key.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio vs weights, weights only, weights vs cardio