Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-11, 11:30 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I'm with the others who recommend "rowing" using resistance bands/tubing.

I'd also suggest that instead of leaning forward (at the "catch") at the beginning of the movement, that you remain more upright so that you don't protract your shoulders forward, and then concentrate on retracting your shoulders before leaning back. You won't need too great a resistance to get the benefit of this and I would begin with a lighter resistance so that you can concentrate on the target muscles and strengthen them before increasing the resistance. Also, keep your elbows close to the body - don't row bringing your elbows out (bad form), but rather down and back, even if you think you'd get better retraction taking your elbows out.

I have a demolished rotator cuff but am still able to row everyday so long as I do as I described above and then ice my shoulder afterwards with a shoulder wrap.

In the future, if you were still interested in getting a rowing machine, I'd recommend a Concept 2.

ETA: You might be more comfortable "rowing" with your palms facing towards each other rather than using a pronated grip which is easy to do if you're using bands/tubing. (I've attached a couple of (tubing) handles to my C2 handle so that I have the option of rowing either way.)
Old 05-23-11, 04:43 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Judith's post reminds me of an exercise that would be good: rather than just retracting the shoulders before each set, then rowing, you could do sets of retractions: getting into the rowing position, then just retracting your shoulder blades and squeezing in the back. There won't be a large ROM, but you should feel it in the upper and middle back. Just be sure to keep your shoulders down and think of pulling them not just back but slightly down.

IIRC, I've read somewhere a suggestion to do a set of these before doing a set of actual rows. It's a good way to train yourself to retract the shoulder blades.

You can even do these just as isometric exercises, with no added resistance, and if you're doing them correctly, you'll feel it.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 05:02 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Kathryn - I'm another who omits all anterior delt work for the same reasons. And have you heard the story that Arnold kept dumbbells under his bed and did rear delt flyes every morning sitting on the edge of his bed?
Old 05-23-11, 05:08 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Do people not read previous posts? LOL!
(I admit, I often don't either).
Wow, I apologize.
Actually the posts I read said to attach tubing to an upright post type of thing. I didn't read other options were offered by others. Mea culpa.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 05:11 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Well, this is funny because I thought Kathryn herself was pretty much repeating some of what I said in my first post... it seemed to me, maybe not (her main point being you don't even need bands/tubing), but close.
Love you all.
Old 05-23-11, 05:16 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Well, certainly plenty of people must not have read my posts over the years and repeated my content as well, lots of times. Never bothered me, to tell the truth.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 07:08 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L View Post
Well, this is funny because I thought Kathryn herself was pretty much repeating some of what I said in my first post... it seemed to me, maybe not (her main point being you don't even need bands/tubing), but close.
Love you all.
I did repeat some of it, but my main point was using the retraction (that you mentioned) as an exercise in itself (I read your post as making sure to retract the shoulders before doing the rows, not doing retractions for reps).I've edited a bit to clarify, since on rereading, it wasn't as clear as it (hopefully) is now.

Old 05-23-11, 07:11 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L View Post
Kathryn - I'm another who omits all anterior delt work for the same reasons. And have you heard the story that Arnold kept dumbbells under his bed and did rear delt flyes every morning sitting on the edge of his bed?
Never heard that one.
There's got to be some joke to make here about recent Arnold news and beds, but I can't think of it.

Old 05-24-11, 05:43 PM  
donnadc

Have you thought about a suspension trainer?
You can do a squat/rowing combo with one of those.
donnadc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back, back strength, posture, rowing, rowing machine