Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-11, 06:14 PM  
Donna D

Great workout for those with foot problems - and helps your lymphatic system

I've read with envy about those of you who enjoy rebounding. I've considered purchasing a rebounder, but didn't want to invest the money in a better quality one, don't really have the room to store it, and most importantly, I frequently have feet/balance problems, and didn't think it would be a good idea.

A recent thread on Chair Dancing - http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...=chair+dancing
caught my attention, as I occasionally do these workouts when I'm having a flare-up of the plantars fasciitis (which has been quite frequently lately). I too do the workouts on a stability ball.

Knowing that bouncing is good for the lymphatic system I did some research on the internet and found this article - http://www.livestrong.com/article/30...phatic-system/

I had some of the older FitBall USA workouts, which didn't click with me. I recently found a new one - Bounce Your Way to Better Health - http://www.harmonyforlife.me/

I received the DVD last week and have done the Beginner's Workout - 9 1/2 minutes every morning before getting ready for work. What a great way to start the day! She has a nice warm up and surprisingly I break a mild sweat with it. If I'm having an OK foot day, after work I will do a 15 minute Leslie workout, followed by a different 10 minute segment from the DVD.

I should add that I had been bouncing on the ball for two minutes at a time, several times a day for about 10 days prior to receiving the DVD, just to get used to the bouncing.

I'm not great at reviews, so I will list some of the key points of this DVD:

• Instructor is very likeable and cues well. The two background dancers are probably in their 20's, one is a pilates/dance instructor and the other is a new mother. You can tell how much they are enjoying the workout.

• The workout was filmed outside.

• The music is fun and varied - there's a Viennese Waltz as a warm up. Other songs include a swing song, a "Dixie"song (I forget the rest).

• The arms are used quite a bit. (I had thought about using the weighted gloves from Leslie's kit, but the movements would be too fast.)

• While I haven't done the floor segment yet, it looks good.

Most important for me, I can reap the bouncing benefits on the lymphatic system without a rebounder.

I had the opportunity to talk to Joyce Goodman, the instructor last week. A very nice woman who is quite helpful. Joyce did tell me that the proper stability ball makes a big difference. She told me that she has tried over 30 different balls. I've noticed that the bouncing on the Weight Watcher's ball is much more enjoyable than the ball that Gaiam offers. I plan on purchasing the FitBall brand, even though a little more expensive.

While I can't say anything negative about this workout, it is a DVD-R. I know that some of you will only purchase a pressed DVD. I have tried the DVD on three DVD players with no problems.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 06:27 PM  
horsemom2

I used to sit on a ball and do alot of different kinds of workouts including TaeBo, long before I started rebounding. Sometimes I still pull out a chair workout and do it on the ball too.

Barb S
who has been sitting on a stability ball more and more when at the puter and has a bunch of nice short workouts on my hard drive from youtube that would be perfect for a bouncing on the ball break
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 06:29 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
I used to sit on a ball and do alot of different kinds of workouts including TaeBo, long before I started rebounding. Sometimes I still pull out a chair workout and do it on the ball too.

Barb S
who has been sitting on a stability ball more and more when at the puter and has a bunch of nice short workouts on my hard drive from youtube that would be perfect for a bouncing on the ball break
Hi Barb - I thought I had read in one of the recent threads that you make it a habit of bouncing on the rebounder every hour.
Old 05-11-11, 06:51 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
Hi Barb - I thought I had read in one of the recent threads that you make it a habit of bouncing on the rebounder every hour.
Yes when I spent my day on the main floor of our home with the bungee in the living room and puter in the den BUT since getting a new laptop last week, I am spending much more time in the second floor bedroom LOL

Barb S
Have Bounce Will Travel
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 07:33 PM  
Non-Dancer

A couple of months ago, I clumsily tripped and banged my knee and I did one of Jodi Stolove's chair dancing DVDs instead of standing aerobics for a while. I was looking for a ball workout similar to this ball dancing one but could not find anything. So I just ordered this because it looks like fun and I like the music in the promo--I hope it's similar to what's on the DVD. Thanks for posting about this.

Linda

PS--I occasionally have plantar fasciitis flare-ups and this would be perfect.
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 07:38 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Dancer View Post
A couple of months ago, I clumsily tripped and banged my knee and I did one of Jodi Stolove's chair dancing DVDs instead of standing aerobics for a while. I was looking for a ball workout similar to this ball dancing one but could not find anything. So I just ordered this because it looks like fun and I like the music in the promo--I hope it's similar to what's on the DVD. Thanks for posting about this.

Linda

PS--I occasionally have plantar fasciitis flare-ups and this would be perfect.
It really is a fun workout! I love the mix of the songs.

Tags
bouncing, fitball, lymphatic system, stability ball