Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-08, 02:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

long-ish steady state trains your body to reach for the fat stores. this is the theory behind ABB (aerobic base building). there are many threads about ABB here on VF. especially read the posts by horsemom2, the woman i stalk on VF. there's threads that discuss the "chemistry" of it, namely the posts written by soapmaker.

you can burn more calories doing high intensity, no question about that method. but steady state definitely trains your body to burn fat at lower intensities so that you don't have to resort to high intensity to reach your goal.

and steady state is easier on the joints.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 04:10 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Not to get into too much diet talk here, but one thing I learned from NROL4W is that you should eat a bit more after a vigorous workout, be it weights or cardio. Of course you're trying to lose weight, but you also need a bit more fuel if you've worked out hard. The point is to eat a bit right after the workout so you don't become ravenous later.
Old 07-18-08, 04:41 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol_is_fit
It all helps. But what helps me more is strength training, and seriously cleaning up my eating. We're all different.

Carol
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
long-ish steady state trains your body to reach for the fat stores. this is the theory behind ABB (aerobic base building). there are many threads about ABB here on VF. especially read the posts by horsemom2, the woman i stalk on VF. there's threads that discuss the "chemistry" of it, namely the posts written by soapmaker.

you can burn more calories doing high intensity, no question about that method. but steady state definitely trains your body to burn fat at lower intensities so that you don't have to resort to high intensity to reach your goal.

This time of year, with the ever-present heat + humidity, that approach is so appealing...but it's all good!
Old 07-18-08, 07:35 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar

LOL I didn't know I had a stalker and that stalker was you.
So maybe one person did read my lonely checkin when I was doing ABB afterall!

Yes, I saw results the two autumns I did long duration and low intensity even though only losing a pound or two a month, it was nice to lose something after being plateaued for years and nicer yet not to have any aches and pains which was my main goal. I always seemed to suffer more joint and muscular pain as the temperature dropped with winter approaching, plus I had a tendency to overtrain when workingout everyday. However, as different and mentally challenging as it was to keep my workouts long and low, I was missing all of my other stuff, especially weights. Didn't lose any strength because of muscle memory but just missed doing any strength workouts for variety. The reason why it worked and continued to work for me for several months was because I would slowly increase the duration and/or intensity every week so even though my metabolism was adapting, it was still being challenged. After remembering all that, maybe I'll give it another go myself in a couple of months!

Barb S
who has been plateaued again for way too long

ETA: there is another technique that helped me too
taking a 15-20 minute pause midway through a workout session which tricked my metabolism into thinking I was workingout longer
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 09:15 AM  
F1mom

Yes, they did. I had incredible results from PY Long Lean alternated with Full Circuit.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 09:52 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Thumbs up

Susan P,

Thanks for the rotations. For the first time ever, I "understood" a rotation.
Maybe all this vidiocy is finally clicking With a tip I read earlier this week about writing generic rotations on a dry erase board, I think your rotations will fit my not wanting to be pinned down and I can finally commit.

I may actually start this on Monday.

Renda
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 10:38 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I like to do both. I will often do an interval aerobics day, followed by a longer steady state day, followed by a total body weight workout. Then I take a rest and start all over.
Old 07-19-08, 12:22 PM  
cheekster

SS cardio is important for me when I'm trying to lose weight (as I am now). I agree with what others have already said: too much intensity can spike hunger, you can't ignore strength training, got to clean up the eating, etc.

One particular benefit I've noticed from all cardio, but especially from SS cardio is mental. Losing weight is tough and can be really stressful, and those cardio sessions can help to boost my mood so that I'm able to make the other changes, especially eating. I've noticed it with higher-intensity interval sessions too, and I think they're important, but I think the extra hunger they inspire can be problematic. Weight lifting sessions don't have as big an effect on my mood.
Old 07-19-08, 02:05 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra
The "issue" with steady state cardio is that your body eventually adapts to it - becomes more efficient at doing it - so your calorie burn for that hour walk you do today will not be the same six months from now (especially if you also lose weight in that time period, because you'll be moving less weight around, hence less effort is required). How quickly you adapt depends on your exercise history. The longer you've been doing SS, the more quickly you'll adapt.
What the ginger cat said.

I've found that interval training (Cardio Coach) and HIIT works for me. I've never understood the "exercise increases hunger" thing. I always eat a post-workout meal after lifting and factor that into my daily calorie allowance, so it's never made me more hungry. Cardio really decreases my appetite. I do most of my cardio after work and before dinner. By the time I get home from work, I'm usually pretty hungry, but I have some coffee and put it out of my mind. By the time I've done my workout, my appetite has decreased to the point that I'm satisfied by a very light dinner. My dinners these days would easily be half the size, or less, than what I used to eat.
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 02:27 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda
What the ginger cat said.

I've found that interval training (Cardio Coach) and HIIT works for me. I've never understood the "exercise increases hunger" thing. I always eat a post-workout meal after lifting and factor that into my daily calorie allowance, so it's never made me more hungry. Cardio really decreases my appetite. I do most of my cardio after work and before dinner. By the time I get home from work, I'm usually pretty hungry, but I have some coffee and put it out of my mind. By the time I've done my workout, my appetite has decreased to the point that I'm satisfied by a very light dinner. My dinners these days would easily be half the size, or less, than what I used to eat.
I'm glad that works for you. For me, heavy lifting and lots of HIIT really does increase my appetite. It's funny how we're all different, isn't it?

Tags
abb, aerobic base building