Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-07, 01:17 AM  
EriCha

This is interesting information. I would NEVER have thought about inversions being dangerous. I have 20/10 vision but only due to Lasik. Naturally I was a -11 in one eye and a -10 in the other (glasses presc.) I have never been told anything like that, although in recent years I have been warned against retinal detachment.

I agree with Jane, I think I will approach with caution on inverted poses. Better safe than sorry

Judith, did you get all of your vision back in your left eye?

EriCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 02:53 AM  
Vee

I considered lasik and dropped the idea when my opthamologist said it does not "cure" myopia". The mis-shapen eyeball stays mis-shapen. The vision is improved because the surface of the eye is changed by slicing off fine layers to compensate for the elongation, jut like lens would.

The ophthamologist told me specifically that contraindications (headstands / very-heavy lifting) would remain unchanged.

So I urge you to consult your doctor, Erin.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 03:46 AM  
EriCha

Yes, this is true Vee. I know that my eyes are still at risk and that Lasik did not "cure" them. I don't need to consult my doctor because I will just avoid those positions in the future. I see him regularly for post op appointments so maybe I'll mention it just to get his opinion anyway.

That being said, I have nothing but praise for Lasik. Not to hijack this thread, but it is the best thing I have ever done. I have better vision than most people now and my eyes are not irritated, dry or scratchy anymore. It's only been 2 months and I have had no problems whatsoever.

EriCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 05:06 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriCha
That being said, I have nothing but praise for Lasik. Not to hijack this thread, but it is the best thing I have ever done. I have better vision than most people now and my eyes are not irritated, dry or scratchy anymore. It's only been 2 months and I have had no problems whatsoever.
I am glad for you Erin.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-07, 12:09 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Pathological/degenerative myopia vs "normal" myopia

Not all myopia is created equal.

Pathological/degenerative myopia is associated with retinal detachment.

OTOH, refractive myopia is "normal" myopia and it's not associated with a higher incidence of retinal detachment.

Not everyone who is extremely nearsighted (myopic) has pathological or degenerative myopia.

The diagnosis is NOT made based strictly on refractive error alone - many patients with myopia greater than 10 diopters never develop myopic progression or pathological changes. It's usually diagnosed in childhood/adolescence because it progresses quite rapidly in most people. It's also characterized by a host of accompanying eye problems and is thought to have genetic causes. It's unlikely to suddenly emerge as a new problem if you're in your 30s/40s, for example.

So if you're reading this thread and it's got you worried, don't just quit lifting heavy things. Talk to your opthalmologist and get the question answered. If you don't have it, good to know and you can maintain normal activity. If you DO have it, good to know so that you can pursue appropriate treatment.

HTH,

Lucysql
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retina