Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-23, 12:01 PM  
kat999

Happy 2023! Put your new year's fitness goals here!

I had already decided 2023 was going to be a "reset" year for me, and I'm starting tomorrow. I want to lose about 40 lbs., to be honest, which all kind of crept up on me the last year or so. My problem is I carry all excess weight in places that aren't obvious, but to me I look terrible in photographs, I'm achy, and I get a little winded when climbing stairs, even though my overall cardio fitness is pretty great. So here's my plan:

- At least 30 minutes of exercise every day, alternating between cardio, Pilates, yoga, aerobic weight training (FIRM, Jari, stuff like that), HIIT, and continuing with the Lift Like a Girl program that I round out to a full workout with cardio and rowing.

- When the weather gets warmer, I will do a four-mile jog outdoors as many days of the week as the weather and my time permits.

- Completely clean up my eating in a variety of ways.

I'm going to keep myself accountable and keep much, much better track of all this, too, instead of just doing it haphazardly. What are your goals in these regards this year?
Old 01-01-23, 03:37 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Thanks for starting this thread. I already started on my goals. I plan to get healthier and back to my pre-pandemic self (which means fitter, stronger, more productive and happier).

I will lose the weight I gained since 2020. I can’t believe it's 2023! The time flew and dragged.

Consistency is my goal. I will continue to work out every day, slowly adding weight, reps and sets, and adding minutes of cardio.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 03:55 PM  
bubbles76

My new year's fitness goals:
  • Eat more vegetarian meals. I think it may help to lower my cholesterol quicker.
  • Experiment with cooking more outside my comfort zone. I tend to stick to ingredients and recipes that are familiar to me, and I want to branch out.
  • Mental stimulation. Counts as fitness . I want to learn a new language this year and pick up a new skill. Either dance, knitting, sewing, pilates, or an instrument. All of these eventually, but I'm going to start with one new skill and one language this year so as not to overwhelm myself.
  • Yoga. I'm going to incorporate yoga back into my routine. It's taken a backseat since Covid. When we worked in the office, we did one hour yoga sessions. That one session guaranteed that I did at least two a week. Now, I don't do any because I work from home. Gotta fit yoga into my day again.
  • Read more. I love to read, but have gotten away from it due to work.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 05:53 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Thanks for giving me a place to write some goals down!!

I want to continue to prioritize strength training, hiking and mobility work.

In 2023 I want to work on these specifics:

Be able to do 10 Dead hang pull-ups (currently at 4)
Hold an L-sit in good form for at least 30 seconds
Train pistol squats - haven’t done any in years

Hoping that doing short sessions consistently will help me develop these skills.
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 06:11 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Stretch more after workouts and eat more vegetables, fruit, and protein.

Finish STS 2.0 when it gets released.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 07:14 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I get in plenty of workouts, so my only fitness goals are to move differently more often. I honestly think it would be more healthy for me to have less of a focus on fitness. I am liking Bubble's goals.

I need to read more and not just about fitness or healthy eating. DH and I have talked about taking a foreign language at the community college. This year may not be the year for it, but I'll keep that goal in my back pocket. I like to cook and need to make healthy meal planning more of a priority. I go in spurts.

My family continues to grow and change, and I need to embrace the change. Appreciate when we are together, and make the effort to spend time with them.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 07:23 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I have signed up for swim lessons starting later this month. I would like to get back into swimming and definitely need a technique refresher.

I also have a time goal in mind for a 10k this year. I am signed up for a race in the spring.

Not a fitness goal, but would like to improve my drawing technique, and finish up a few sewing projects I started a while ago.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 07:45 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

My goals for 2023 include:

Lose weight - I've lost 21 pounds so far and want to keep it going.

Maintain exercise / increase general movement - In 2022, I got to where i was pretty consistent going to the YMCA three times a week. I need to get back to that post-holidays and COVID. And I want to add more movement on the days I don't go to the gym.

Follow up on physical issues - I got a good start in 2022 and want to continue figuring out and solving physical issues I have.

Travel - Travel feeds my soul and the only place we went in 2022 was to Huntington, WV to visit the in-laws and take care of my MIL through some of her physical issues. In 2023, I want to go on 1-2 trips, even if they are close-by road trips.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-23, 08:02 PM  
rhbrand

Workout at least 3 times a week.

Get my deadlift up to 300lbs.

Get my squat to 200lbs

Bench press 135lbs

Walk a mile outside when weather permits
Old 01-01-23, 09:07 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I am doing Pahla B's 5-0 program for the next couple of months. The workouts are relatively short and easy but they incorporate a lof of range of motion and balance.

I had never been able to tolerate Pahla B before this; not that I had tried very hard. I heard about her here, watched one of her videos and thought "oh my goodness, all the gab!" But since she doesn't use music, she kind of needs the filler, for one, and for two, she's really quite a lovely human being and I very much appreciate the positivity.

Honestly, I'm getting as fond of Pahla as I used to be of Leslie, and for exactly the same reasons.

I'm working on asian squats, too. I have to hold onto someothing because my ankles don't allow me to tip forward enough not to fall over. There is a bar in the hallways at work that is the perfect height for me to just hold onto to sink into an asian squat. I can just wiggle around a bit in that position to stretch my calves/ankles/hips, then stand up. I don't really have a goal, just a couple of times a day I try to spend 30s in that position.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness goals, goals, new year goals, new year resolutions, resolutions