Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-20, 01:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

just in time for New Year resolutions - The Four Tendencies book by Gretchen Rubin

The Four Tendencies: The Indispensable Personality Profiles That Reveal How to Make Your Life Better (and Other People's Lives Better, Too) by Gretchen Rubin (2017)
https://www.amazon.com/Four-Tendenci...s=books&sr=1-1

i attended a virtual work-related seminar this past October and one of the instructors recommended the above book. i was able to listen to the audio version free from our library using their Overdrive app on my phone. it's available in pdf and regular hardback too.

i thought it was interesting because the author uses New Year resolutions to illustrate what the "4 tendencies" are with respect to a person's personality, work style, expectations, etc. she starts out with a caveat that this was based on her own observations and a survey she conducted on her blog. she graduated from Yale Law school and clerked for Sandra Day O'Conner. she's written a number of other non-fiction books that were also successful.

it was good food for thought. i took the quiz from the PBS.org website and found out i am a Questioner. all 4 tendencies are: Upholder, Questioner, Obliger and Rebel. by the way, i read the book first, then i took the quiz a few days afterward. i found that in doing the book first, i had some traits of each tendency, and when i took the 13-question quiz, i took my time in answering the questions. you can tell which choice belongs to each tendency, so that's why i took my time and answered honestly. i didn't always choose "the questioner" answer, by the way.

https://www.pbs.org/weta/gretchen-ru...ndencies-quiz/

i thought i'd mention this interesting book now that people are preparing for 2021. and she uses people's attitude toward exercising in many of the examples, including her own!

from her blog, here are the strategies and tips for each of the 4 tendencies on changing a habit:
https://gretchenrubin.com/2017/07/wa...portant-habit/

the book also explains strategies at work, relationships with your spouse, kids, etc. it's a fun read and a good insight to yourself. she reads the audiobook, by the way and is easy to listen to.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-20, 02:41 PM  
BunnyHop

I read this book a while ago. I'm apparently a Rebel, which I find kind of tiresome.

Editing to add this quote: "many of the 21 strategies that work well for other Tendencies typically don’t work for Rebels: for instance, Strategies of Scheduling, Accountability, Monitoring, or Rewards."

I find this to be true for me, and quite often very frustrating.
Old 12-26-20, 03:38 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I receive her email(s) & have tried to read her books. As much as I want to, I just don't seem to connect with her.
But thank you for posting this !!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-20, 04:00 PM  
Vantreesta

Hmm. Question one stumps me right off the bat. I don't manage to keep my resolutions but I still always make them.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-20, 04:29 PM  
geojill

I love Gretchen, this book, and her Happier podcast. The Four Tendencies is a deeper personality dive that stems from her book Better than Before, which I highly recommend. It’s all about habits, and how different tendencies can establish habits in a more effective way because of how they respond to inner and outer expectations. I am a Questioner, and my husband and 21yo daughter are both rebels. It actually helped me understand my daughter a lot as we were always butting heads.
Old 12-29-20, 09:51 AM  
Sollamyn

Thanks for the recommendation. I've never heard of this author and will check her out.

Donna
Old 12-29-20, 11:52 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I've never heard of this author and will check her out.

Donna
Awesome podcast too!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 12:02 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I read it when it came out and used to listen to the podcast religiously. I should check it out again -- thanks for this reminder. I find that I am an upholder in a lot of areas of my life but in other areas I'm a rebel. Anyone else like that?
Old 12-29-20, 12:28 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I read it when it came out and used to listen to the podcast religiously. I should check it out again -- thanks for this reminder. I find that I am an upholder in a lot of areas of my life but in other areas I'm a rebel. Anyone else like that?
Most of the questions were too hard for me to answer accurately bc I am not the same in all areas or like the first question had an option of I'm not good at it so I don't do it. I'm not good at following through on resolutions but I always set them anyway. There's no option for that. The quiz came back with me as an Obliger and I really don't feel like I am.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 12:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
i think we have characteristics of all 4, but it's good to take the test to find the general tendency, and answer honestly. you can tell which tendency each choice comes from (since you read the book), but despite that, give it a good thought before answering. you can be a certain tendency and lean towards one of the others, but your main tendency should be the same.

i don't think it would make a huge difference since this is for planning purposes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gretchen rubin, habits, new year goals, new year resolutions, resolutions