Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-16, 01:51 PM  
angie_nrs

Thumbs up Jessica Smith - Walk the weight off 30 day plan

I have been looking for a set to take things down a notch since many posters on this forum have been seeing good results by doing so. I'm not a huge fan of Yoga or Pilates or Barre. I have some of each and do some of each at times, but I really didn't want a steady diet of any of those workouts b/c I don't really enjoy them much. I've only ever done a Leslie walk workout many many years ago and thought it was too easy. I'd say I'm a high intermediate to advanced exerciser with Cathe being my go-to for workouts.

Anyways.....I have been looking into Jessica for a while and found this 3 DVD set at an outlet store for $10 so (of coarse) I grabbed it. I was looking for something that was not too intense but didn't waste my time either. I was pleasantly surprised that this set was perfect for that! I'm on day 20 now of the rotation and have done all the workouts in the set. I'm completely surprised and impressed by the set.....probably my second best purchase this year! I wanted to do a pros vs. cons list.....but I can't come up with any cons. Here are my pros:

* I like Jessica's demeanor. She seems so nice and doesn't count all the time.
* I like the lengths of these - mostly 30 minutes but sometimes you add a 15 minute ab, back or stretch bonus too. I like all of them a lot.
* The music is very familiar. I've heard most of it in Cathe videos, especially the 4 day split music.
* There's a nice mix of workouts - bands, light weights, & Hiit are all used.
* The DVD's are quick loading without all the ads, warnings, and instruction. You pop it in, push play, and you're off!
* I like the 10 minute countdown clock at the end. Nice touch.
* I like that there are some new moves in here that I haven't done before.
* It's challenging without being too crazy. You can get a good sweat going if you want to, especially with the Hiit workout, but they all can be easily modified up or down.
* The 30 day rotation is right on the back of the box - no losing the pamplet on this set.

I didn't weigh or measure myself before I started doing this set but I do feel like my jeans are fitting better and it looks like I'm losing in the torso area. I don't feel like I've lost any strength or cardio stamina, but not sure if I've improved either....which wasn't my goal anyway. My eats haven't changed (even though it probably should) and I don't notice a spike in appetite using the set. And there's NO dread factor for me. This is a set I will be using for years to come.

For those of you who are Jessica fans.....does she have other sets similar to this? I was actually looking at the '6 week transformation system' set when I stumbled across this set. Is that comparable? Also how does this set compare to her others as far as difficulty? Is this one more or less challenging than her others? I think I may be hooked.......
Old 10-23-16, 06:18 PM  
Leonana

Hi, I love Jessica too! Ten dollars is a great price for the set!

I haven't done the Walk On workouts more than once. I lean more towards Jessica's strength and fusion workouts, mostly from You Tube. I love the Walk Strong 6 Week set. I don't think it's the same as the Walk On, because there isn't any walks per se. It's strength and more fusion type cardio. But I think the intensity level is the same, and I found it to be very effective.

If you're looking for more walk type workouts, I really like the Walk On 21 Day dvds, the Walk On 15 Minute Fast Fat blast, and the Walk On 6 Mile Mix using the band. You also might like the Walk Strong Burn Fat+ Have Fun, which is cardio that uses a step and a ball.
Old 10-23-16, 06:31 PM  
donnamp

Hi!

Glad you found Jessica! She is a big part of my workout plans; I do take time off from doing her workouts from time to time but I ultimately always come back to them.

I second Sherry's recommendations (hi, Sherry!) for walking style workouts. If you are interested in her strength and fusion workouts, definitely check those out as well - they are all top notch.

She also has a fabulous You Tube channel with a wide variety of workouts and play lists.

I'm thinking about doing her 28 Day Challenge from earlier this fall as my November rotation.

I started a thread in the combos section of the forum that lists out her (mostly You Tube) rotations.

Enjoy - --- she is definitely my favorite and main stay instructor these days.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-16, 08:08 PM  
bubbles76

So now I have to know...what was the name of the outlet store?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-16, 08:21 PM  
kristiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
So now I have to know...what was the name of the outlet store?
Ditto! what is the name of the store?
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 12:08 AM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Which outlet store was it? We have many of them in south florida. I like Jessica and would love her videos so I would be the first to grab up the videos!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 08:46 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

All of this has enabled me to buy the Walk Strong 6 Week set. The last program I bought IIRC was DDP Yoga, several years ago.

After reading this thread I did Jessica's 41 minute total body strength workout followed by one of her 15 minute stretch routines, both on YouTube.

She's a really good instructor and I have been looking for a structured strength routine that isn't Cathe, Tony Horton, etc. (Cathe and Tony are wonderful, but too intense and equipment-heavy for me, though I do love their stretch and yoga workouts.) I think Jessica's program will be just what I want--half-hour workouts, no equipment other than a mat and dumbbells. I'll do WS6W at home and go to the gym for cardio. It is getting a bit too cold for me to do much outdoor bike riding and that has been my cardio for months now.

Thanks very much for this thread!

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 08:55 AM  
Sollamyn

I did the 30-Day rotation when I first got this set and I can think of one 'con': too many walking workouts! I need more variety, I guess. My hip flexors don't really care for walking almost daily. However, the workouts on their own are great for when I set up my own rotations. I particularly like the cardio workouts in the 30-Day set--lots of variety there. But they are still walking workouts, which, as I said, I just can't do for 30 days in a row! That said, the Walk Strong set does have more variety and, in my opinion, are a little more challenging, except for the Cardio Party workout, which is just a fun-type walking cardio.

Donna
Old 10-24-16, 09:57 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Also want to know which outlet store!
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 10:03 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Just FYI, if you sign up for JS's email list, she usually emails you a coupon for 10-20% off of the Walk Strong set.

I really like the variety of the Walk Strong Set, but also love the 4 DVDs Jessica released this summer. They're a bit more intense than the Walk On set, but interesting and a lot of fun (and also 30-35 minute workouts). Unlike the sets, though, you have to buy each one individually. When they first went on sale, Jessica had a sale where if you both 3, you got the yoga DVD for free. I wasn't planning on buying the yoga DVD or "Build Balance and Inner Strength," but who am I to pass up a deal? Ironically, while I really like all 4 DVDs, these 2 that I wouldn't have purchased are my favorites!

I forgot to add that my go to is Cathe, too, so I expected these to be very easy workouts for recovery days, but they're challenging in their own way and I'm now doing them exclusively...I feel they're helping round out my fitness. It really helped me see that while I love Cathe, I really had some weak spots her workouts hadn't revealed and Jessica's did (it would probably be the same for anybody who goes from Jessica to Cathe). It's been a revelation!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, jessica smith step, jessica smith workouts, pilates band