Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-11, 09:12 PM  
KellyMarie65

I never make new year resolutions lol
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 09:23 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

I rarely make resolutions but for 2012 I want to complete 2 pull ups on a pull up bar with no help. I have informed my husband that I will need his help and he agreed. At 55 years old I have never been able to do a pull up but this coming year will be a different matter.

MariaW
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 10:44 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelters View Post
I rarely make resolutions but for 2012 I want to complete 2 pull ups on a pull up bar with no help. I have informed my husband that I will need his help and he agreed. At 55 years old I have never been able to do a pull up but this coming year will be a different matter.

MariaW
That is a really cool goal!

Really, I just want to continue what I've been doing. I've lost 10 lbs this past year and have been pretty consistent. I feel so much better just getting in my cardio, Classical Stretch, and a little barre for strength.

I hear ya, Kathryn, on the walking. Winter has hit here in MN and I'm not enjoying putting on my ski gear to walk. Gotta figure out some other cardio.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 12:09 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworkpenguin View Post
I also tend to think of exercise in basic catagories such as cardio, weights, or a circuit, so I don't often do floorwork, standing toning/barre, yoga, or pilates, adding these componants to my regular catagories might help keep me more consistant and stop the 'boredom' that sometimes hits me.
I used to think of exercise in basic terms too - just cardio, weights and flexibility. I used to think that cardio/weights circuits were for girls because you can't incorporate heavy weights, standing toning/barre only worked for people with ballerina bodies, and floorwork was a waste of time.

Once I started actually doing those forms of exercise I noticed fantastic results, and how they complemented more basic forms of exercise. And yeah, more variety beats boredom, plus you get the motivation of seeing little improvements.
Old 12-10-11, 12:46 AM  
Gancho Girl

I'm planning to train as a pilates instructor in 2012, so my resolution is to really get the technique nailed for many of the moves, and continue to build up my overall strength and improve my shoulder stabilisation.

Oh, and not injure myself. This torn calf is really irritating me...

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 05:40 AM  
CarlaShanti

My resolution is inspired by KCM: 30 minutes a day, every day. I think my days of 80 minute workouts are well and truly behind me. But I can do 30 minutes easily, so... bring on the Power Half Hour in 2012.
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 06:52 AM  
gradgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
To actually work out!
No, really, I've had a difficult 2011, either with my arthritis pain or being depressed, so I've struggled with consistency. I found FIRM Express late this year and really enjoy it, so am planning on completing that rotation and then maybe going to TA.
Cathy, I've had some of the same problems. I struggle with depression and anxiety, and sometimes just having to choose a DVD to do has stressed me out.

This year my main form of working out has been walking the dog. I tried training for a half marathon, but I stopped 2months in because I couldn't run over 4 miles and for some reason I was having a hard time running faster, too. It was discouraging.

So, my goals for 2012 are to keep being consistent with circuit workouts. I used to do a lot of the FIRM years ago, so now I'm going back to those types of workouts because they pack a lot in 45-60 minutes. FIRM has dread factor now, so I'm exploring new instructors.

We can do it!

Last edited by gradgirl; 12-10-11 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Ditto to Alisoncooks and Kathryn, too!
gradgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 07:08 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I tend to give into emotional eating/bingeing. I want to let go of all those things that pull into negative behaviors/habits (pass it on to a higher authority) and to stop making excuses/allowances.

I also want to focus less on the aesthetics and more making my body STRONG...if that means a bigger jean size or whatever, then so be it!
Me too - both.

My goal is to focus more on workouts that work the entire body (yoga, functional fitness, etc) rather than workouts that promise a certain look.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 08:02 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

To focus on more weight lifting! My first love has always been cardio...I love it so much! I really only changed my body when I started adding more weight lifting workouts to my collection though. In the past 3-4 months I started doing weights only workouts about once a week. In 2010 I did circuits/interval training (which was my first introduction to weights) and the end of 2010 I started with kettlebells. I was able to increase my kettlebell weight from a 10 lb weight (seemed heavy at first!) to swinging 25 lbs over the course of 2011. I bought a 12 lb and 15 lb set of dumbells in the fall and I'd like to increase my ability and go heavier in 2012 plus add one more weight day a week.
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 08:35 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
For 2011 I resolved to stop referring to myself as "choreographically challenged", "clumsy", or "klutzy". Guess what - I noticed that my ability to pick up and remember new movement patterns improved markedly. It's the power of positive thinking at work!
I want to stop thinking of myself as a choreo klutz as well! In 2012, I'd love to learn to do the Seasun step workouts I have. I got stuck after learning half of Z Step--so my first goal to reach is to finish that one!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resolutions