Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-10, 12:31 PM  
CarlaShanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
I'm not bothered too much by stuff like this, and never thought to worry about my kids seeing it. You DO see more on the beach, and I've always raised them to feel that the human body naked or otherwise is a perfectly natural thing.

Having said that, the one instructor that does bug me is Ana Brett. I don't need to that that deep into her shakras.
I have loads of Raviana workouts. Maybe I should open my eyes and get a better look now and then! I guess I always considered her body sort of sexless. Not in a mean way... Although there's this one DVD where she does 'kundalini lotus pose' that is a bit embarrassing. (Anyone in the room, though, would be distracting by me falling over and rolling around in the floor trying to do it and would not notice her on the screen).
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 12:36 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

YOu may be a prude, but you are not alone.

My girls are older now but when they were younger, and to a lesser degree even now, I was/am very aware of body image issues, and I think gratuitously sexual shots, multiple comments about looking "hot" or whatever are just not building good body esteem and I'm not feeding that into my daughters' heads.

I have to agree, a workout instructor is a professional and should wear appropriately professional clothing, and I very much appreciate those who do (and tend to avoid those who don't.)

I have only rarely actually DITCHED a workout because of lascivious camera work (I mean, face it, most of the cameras are wielded by guys! ) or sexy/bikini talk. But I wouldn't hesitate to if I felt it was inappropriate.

You have to do what you are comfortable with! For many years my daughters (and their friends) were fascinated with watching me work out. I was more responsible then. Now that they are teens, I no longer fascinate them (lol) and I am able to be freer in my workout choices.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 12:54 PM  
cpcathy

I'm not known for being "prudish"; my cleavage is one of my best assets and I've shown it (not boobage-cleavage). I am also not a mom, but I would let my 15 year old niece watch my workout videos if she so desired. I haven't gotten to Lean Phase of CLX but I am wondering, are they cleavage shots? In the other phases, I've noticed shots--mostly of Janelle--to emphasize her shoulders or her biceps, and boobage just happens to be included. Either way, it does not bother me.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 12:58 PM  
CarlaShanti

Having nothing but bee stings myself, I have to ask, what's the difference between 'boobage' and 'cleavage'?
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 01:05 PM  
CharM

I think the boob shots are probably my only issue with CLX. It seemed that every time I looked up, there were boobs. I guess it can't be helped when they're so big and the clothes are so small. lol There's also a TJ cover with Chalene's boobs spilling out on the sides. Dear Chalene, please put your boobs away. Oh wait, wrong thread.

I don't think I've ever said boobs so much in one post.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 01:09 PM  
herya

I don't mind skin on show (when it makes sense) but I do mind sexualization and suggestions. I'm not looking for this in a workout video, thank you. I just want to work out and I can get my kicks from elsewhere if I need to at all.

Luckily most yoga/Pilates workouts I do are fairly sexless even though bodies on show are often extremely attractive.

Rodney Yee's Speedos used to discourage me from buying his videos but then I saw Master Iyengar demoing poses in his book in a very skimpy costume and I realised this is in fact tradition and only helps with demoing alignment. They dress like gymnasts and it's fine with me now.

Ana Brett bugs me though - she might be wearing more than Rodney but she is far more sensual and I get this provocative vibe off her which combined with her prepubescent image does not attract me at all.

What bugs me much more is the amount of plastic surgery on show but it's another story and should not be discussed here. I wonder if plastic surgery will be the leotard of the noughties - something to say "ewwwwww I can't believe they were doing it" about when watching old videos.
Old 03-10-10, 01:11 PM  
herya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaShanti View Post
Having nothing but bee stings myself, I have to ask, what's the difference between 'boobage' and 'cleavage'?
I guess cleavage is the area between the breasts (and it does not really depend on size as much as on shape, distance, bra type etc) and boobage is the whole package?
Old 03-10-10, 01:12 PM  
lindseylu8

I am not bothered by most outfits in most dvds BUT I dont need close up of behinds or boobs. I have my own if I need to see them, thanks. Also arent women the ones doing these videos (predominately) so I wouldnt think naked-ish women would be the best seller to most women? I dont really want see a naked looking man in dvds either (think Billy Blanks tight shorts). Pass.

I will say that the lead/backgrounder doesnt nec pick out her outfit. The wardrobe is sometimes provided and they get their outfit handed to them. That is not to say they couldnt object to a too skimpy outfit, just throwing it out there.

In Barrys Bootcamp Fat Blaster the advanced mod in some of the workouts -Selima, (not Madison) her pants are so low that she cant do all the moves properaly. At first I thought "why is this girl doing everything 1/2 a$$ed when shes supposed to be the ADVANCED mod?" Then I saw her pants were just just just above the crack line-aha! She CANT squat any lower or we'd all be seeing butt cheek LOL!

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 01:13 PM  
cpcathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaShanti View Post
I take "boobage" to mean you're showin' 'em off, as in no bra, or see through shirt. Cleavage to me means a lower cut top, kind of like the cover of a "bodice ripper" paperback novel.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 01:18 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

The old Raviana's (the ones they say they didn't realize she was undressed until they received complaints) do me in because Ana looks a lot like a relative of mine and it is *not* relaxing to look up and see her in her underwear. :-)

by the way, Ana wears more clothes now.

Tags
clx results, clx success, embarrassing workouts, instructor clothing, self-conscious