Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-16, 10:35 AM  
adrien_73

Unfortunately, I will not be doing any high-impact cardio or heavy strength training...at least for the first 3-6 months. My knee and back are a mess! I'm realizing that my 43-year-old body does not bounce back the way it used to in my 20's.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 10:42 AM  
jenn38

2017 goals:

Focus on balanced workouts. Strength. cardio and definitely more flexibility.
Increase my NEAT. After my formal workout I tend to be lazy/sedentary.

Train for the AVON 39 and complete it. Last year I made it 24 miles the first day and was sidelined by a blister day two. Completed about 5 of the 13 miles on day 2.. This year I want to rock out the whole thing all 39 miles.

Get my chlosterol and A1c numbers in check and keep them there.

Every year I tell myself I'm going to lose weight and every year I fail so I will focus on being healthier and fitter. But I do want to get my body fat tested to have a starting point. Not focus on the scale.
Old 12-03-16, 11:32 AM  
AnMrsDe

I feel like I am headed toward a "tractor butt" (wide but not flat by any means!) from not getting in my speed walks this past summer!! They always slim me down and I sure missed them!! Now that my hip issues have calmed down, I would like to get them back in my rotation (oh, this is so not a good time to want to do this, now that Winter is here in the midwest!).

And speaking of hip issues, I am avoiding barre since that may be a *possible* culprit to my diagnosed hip bursitis issues this past summer. Not certain but that and Jessica's Walk Strong 2 set was the only thing I did different in that amount of time for workouts. Just sayin'...not pointing a finger but not sure I want to chance it again to do a rotation of either. (I had done JS's WS1 set with no issues).

Looking forward to a new, healthy year full of strength, improved endurance, and less pain!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 12:47 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Just want to encourage both of you that you can regain a lot of strength and mobility after an injury! I could have written both your posts last year after tearing my rotator cuff in three places and a wonky hip. Even though I was mostly healed, it's never been the same and I found myself almost afraid to try anything but the most gentle workouts. I've had to be patient and really listen to my body, but this year I've been able to work up to more than I expected! I modify as needed, but I'm back to doing some of the really challenging workouts I used to enjoy, so take heart!
Thank you for your inspiring post and taking the time to comment with such a caring reply! I was always the type of exerciser who couldn't miss a day, unless it was unplanned. Exercise is really a joy for me and to be without was so frustrating. To do what I once did so naturally, and then suddenly not being able to walk (or run) without being in pain! And, to round out the year I got a number of unexpected illnesses, one right after the other. Looking forward to a New Year!!!

Bless you, and glad you're finally recovering (though slowly) from your injury!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 12:49 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Is "Tractor Butt" anything like the dreaded "Secretary Spread?"

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 08:14 PM  
Dabbadooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Is "Tractor Butt" anything like the dreaded "Secretary Spread?"
No, it's a big strong butt that you could harness equipment to and pull around.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 08:38 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
That sounds great - if that's a tractor butt, why wouldn't you want it? What exactly *did* Barre3 do to your butt that you don't want? Inquiring minds want to know!

As for 2017, I'm going to focus on really listening to and being guided by my body for what it wants to do, rather than coming up with fantasy rotations that I have no hope of doing, much less completing.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 08:41 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
Um, no thanks!
Old 12-03-16, 08:45 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post

As for 2017, I'm going to focus on really listening to and being guided by my body for what it wants to do, rather than coming up with fantasy rotations that I have no hope of doing, much less completing.
I make up rotations all the time that I either can't stick to or don't have time for. I have finally come to accept that it doesn't matter bc I enjoy it and now consider it a hobby. No more guilt!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 05:30 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Exercise is really a joy for me and to be without was so frustrating. To do what I once did so naturally, and then suddenly not being able to walk (or run) without being in pain! And, to round out the year I got a number of unexpected illnesses, one right after the other. Looking forward to a New Year!!!

Bless you, and glad you're finally recovering (though slowly) from your injury!
Thank you, Pam--same to you!

I completely understand what you are feeling. I LOVE to workout, and yes, it is so headwrecking not to be able to do what you want. I do find I am quite dependent on the endorphin rush of a good workout, and it's hard to be without it. I also felt like it was 'one thing right after another,' so frustrating. But it is so encouraging to see progress made! Recently I've even pushed myself a little more than usual, just to see how my body would respond. I'm glad to say I have been able to tolerate more exercise than expected! You'll get there!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pancake a$$, resolutions, spongebob butt, tractor butt