Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-16, 11:02 PM  
Stephanie_B

Ah, well basically at first no over extension and no flexion in elephant. Other than that "as long as it doesn't hurt, do it". That's what made it so odd, but all three places said that. Same with my FIL's PT (he broke his neck about ten years ago and goes off and on), my dad and my husband (so different states) as long as it doesn't hurt.

Now the people there that had knee replacements or fusions or something they had to avoid specific things. The fusion that two neurosurgeons (one a consult, one the one that did my husband's back surgery) said what surgery they recommended (fusion) and which approach, which I don't remember now. And both said "but I would exhaust every option and start pain management."

So after years of avoiding it I did start pain management. I have to take two prescriptions anti inflammatory daily and a drug for the neuropathy. I have also Trezix which I guess is like hydrocodeine, but the farther from my initial start of treatment (summer 2014) the less I use. Probably two a month now? I also get epidural steroid injections probably every six months and every four months radiofrequency ablation. Both are under general so I dislike it, but it's preferable to me than being on something that for me may stop the pain but also messes with my stomach.

As far as Pilates it depends who I had. The places I went had five to gosh I guess 20 people each place. The first more yogi place was all about Pilates. The other two it depended on which therapist I had that day, some loved Pilates and recommended classes, some had no opinion or said "it can't hurt" and some felt the gym helped more. So it was a mix. Another reason I stopped the yogi place was the drive, about an hour, and three times a week there and back sucked.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 01:05 PM  
lorajc

Stephanie -- Oh ...I see you are being instrumental in getting your steroid treatments injected. I haven't done that yet. They are more risky in the neck than the low back. The Surgeon I used to work for wouldn't do Cervical's in the office because of this. He is who scared me so bad...working for him for 6 years...I know way too much about the field. I know they do it in the hopsital under Radiofrequency guidance and such...but I'm a big baby. I'm just weaning off of my pain pills from the accident. Im just going to go on something low strength like Ultram and Advil to take care of my pain. I was on narcotics previously. So I guess the injections must help you. I've had trigger points in the past that have helped. My insurance isn't real good and they don't really cover much in the way of all of that stuff....so....it's a crap shoot about getting it done! Darned insurance companies. Thank goodness for yoga and pilates!!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 01:42 PM  
Stephanie_B

I was a medical transcriptionist for nearly 25 years, so that's part of the reason I put off traditional treatment is because I always knew way too much. I'm just hoping it doesn't progress to grade 3-4 because then I will probably have no choice with the fusion. I've come to peace with the fact that I have to have interventions that I previously refused. But honestly they don't hurt much (usually one time it hurt for a week, but I also didn't sleep well after due to visiting relatives and stress from that) and you can have a good 2-6 months or more of normal pain.

It's weird because I've had three friends (a mom and two daughters--daughters who are my age) had discectomies in the cervical spine and NONE had issues except the mom. She refused to take meds (1970s) and refused to not swim or something, so got an infection. She had to have it done again within the same year and this time followed the treatment protocol.

I'd just keep using your Pilates reformer and NEVER do anything like spine stretch on there where your neck could be crammed up. Then if you are in debilitating pain, GO TO PT. Just swallow your pride (like me) and follow whatever they say to a T. I did ask "can I do this and that in addition" and sometimes yes, sometimes no...but nonetheless I was gonna ask because I've got over 500 DVDs that just sat around.

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 02-16-16, 02:49 PM  
Aunt Famous

Lorajc:

I meant to chime in earlier, and then it slipped my mind until now.

I have a Balanced Body studio reformer with a jump board. While I love jump board workouts, they do not get my heart rate up particularly high. There are a few exceptions, and if you subscribe to Pilates Anytime, I can tell you which ones hit the cardio zone for me.

I have mild scoliosis and mild to moderate degenerative process of my spine, and Pilates has helped with posture (and it needed a LOT of help) and pain management. Speaking solely from my experience, I have to avoid at all costs short spine on the reformer. It feels good, or at least not bad, while I am doing it, and then my back hurts terribly for several days after.

As for the tension springs, I know that the Pilates Anytime instructors constantly emphasize form over tension, and one in particular (Courtney Miller, she's great) is careful to point out that different tensions work different things. (For example, jumping with lighter tension works the core more.) After years of lifting heavy weights, I appreciate this perspective. I have the standard Balance Body springs -- one blue, three red, one green -- and it's only very rarely that I wish I had a yellow for light UB work. I think my current line-up is perfect.

I do reformer workouts 3-4 days a week, and I will be happy to answer any other questions that you might have. I am NOT a Pilates instructor, though; just a happy student.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-16, 04:30 PM  
Stephanie_B

I second Pilates Anytime, you can learn a lot there. My favs off hand are Karen Sanzo, Anthony Lett, Dianne Severino, and Niedra Gabriel.

But there's a lot Anthony has on spinal issues, and Niedra and Karen to a degree as well. Karen has a DVD or two out in print, but it's far more economical to join and see who you click with.

Old 02-16-16, 04:58 PM  
Aunt Famous

Brent Anderson also has some great back-specific workouts and tutorials.

Pilates Anytime runs $18/month, auto-debited through PayPal, but if you look around, you can find discount codes for 15-30 day free tryouts. It's a good value for me, and it keeps me from buying DVDs. Score!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-16, 09:12 PM  
lorajc

Hi Ladies -

I have a question about some of the responses.

I'm not good with names of exercises. Can you describe what Short Spine is and Spine Stretch? Not sure if I do those or not?

Also, is Pilates Anytime only a Money Subscription site? Are there any free things on there? At this time, I can't afford any subscriptions....I haven't worked for a few years. thanks, Lora

Thanks for the response about Rebounding also....I can't get my HR up at all lying down doing it. I have to lighten up my cords a bit though...or it bothers my back. I try to alternate.....lighter and heavier. I even put sand weights in my hands and try to do stuff like that....but it only raises my HR a bit more.....geez....you really have to work on that thing to get your HR up. I see Marjolen....mentioned even walking on it......would that even be beneficial?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-16, 09:46 PM  
Stephanie_B

There's a LOT of YouTube stuff out there, even full 20-30 minute workouts. I used words like Pilates reformer, Aeropilates, and stuff like that.

My Pilates Anytime was just taken with my charge card, not PayPal. But I cancelled awhile back so maybe it changed.

Also I can't really walk and get my heart rate up on it. But when I really focus on going down into the mat, versus pushing off, it makes a huge difference. I don't think I can explain how though LOL.

Let me find a link for that exercise.

http://youtu.be/Gs6S79GO4-A

Last edited by Stephanie_B; 02-23-16 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Link

Tags
aeropilates, pilates band, reformer