Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-15, 09:35 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Well I tried that type of workout yesterday, and I found out that I could only go a few minutes after completing the Hiit. Just had no juice left to keep going. Maybe that means I need to work on getting more fit, not sure.
Well when you do HIIT correctly, you should be pretty wiped out. Did you rest between the HIIT and steady state? I would probably just walk around for about 5 minutes or so in between the two. Are you new to HIIT? If you don't do it much, your body might need to get used to doing it a bit, before you add steady state after. Another thing to consider is that maybe you didn't fuel enough? Or, it could just be one of those days when you don't perform as well for whatever reason.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 10:44 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I went right into the steady state which was probably a mistake. Also I had done some yardwork before I began exercising so I wasn't fresh when I started the Hiit. I also may not have had enough to eat. I know all these things play into it. I'll give it another try tomorrow. I can't imagine doing this on an empty stomach as the older article states.
Old 09-08-15, 01:47 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I'm not sure many of the studies we hear about actually qualify as science- or maybe they mainly don't qualify as a study of what the media presents. For instance, a study of 5 college athletes doing something different for 4 weeks, is not applicable to the population as a whole- and maybe not even any other athletes. Science shouldn't give different results every week. We and also the media, don't put them into context.

And of course, if you don't do it, it can't work.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 02:14 PM  
ellaenchanted

All I know is that I need more cardio than strength training. And, I feel/look my best when I do longer sessions (45-60minutes) of cardio 4x per week. Sometimes steady state, sometimes intervals. Occasionally, I do HiiT.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 02:15 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
I'm not sure many of the studies we hear about actually qualify as science- or maybe they mainly don't qualify as a study of what the media presents. For instance, a study of 5 college athletes doing something different for 4 weeks, is not applicable to the population as a whole- and maybe not even any other athletes. Science shouldn't give different results every week. We and also the media, don't put them into context.

And of course, if you don't do it, it can't work.
Is this actually based on a real study? I never saw a link to one...
Old 09-08-15, 02:39 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Is this actually based on a real study? I never saw a link to one...
Not sure if you were joking, but many studies are done on college students and some college athletes. After all, many scientists work at universities and the athletes, there they are. I'm actually thinking Tabata may have been one such study, but we generalize most studies without ever understanding them, which is why it appears the science is changing.

Very few studies have a range of the population and many also don't have control groups. Meta studies are helpful that way, but so much of what is presented as wide ranging is from very narrow studies and to me, a month is not enough time to figure out anything.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 02:54 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Not sure if you were joking, but many studies are done on college students and some college athletes. After all, many scientists work at universities and the athletes, there they are. I'm actually thinking Tabata may have been one such study, but we generalize most studies without ever understanding them, which is why it appears the science is changing.

Very few studies have a range of the population and many also don't have control groups. Meta studies are helpful that way, but so much of what is presented as wide ranging is from very narrow studies and to me, a month is not enough time to figure out anything.
I understand the limitations of studies. What I was asking is whether the best fat loss protocol of HIIT Plus steady state discussed in this thread is even based on a study, because I don't see a link to one. I see links to blogs with names like simplyshredded.com.

Tags
cardio, fat loss, hiit, steady state cardio