Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-10, 08:45 PM  
daisysunshine

Nyx; word, sisterfriend. For weeks not matter what I did, even using the bathroom, my glutes were like on fire. (and then I was insane, and did Squeeze Stronger and Exhale Thighs and Glutes Pretzel on top of that!!)

Buffmama; I felt it with 10s and 12s. (I have an 18, as well, but rarelly touched it). I have a five with me at school [only thing that wouldn't put me overweight]. I still feel it. Naturally the heavier it is, the more you load your glutes up, which is the more work you feel. I only do kettlebells for cardio purposes so i don't go any higher than my 18 (but again, I rarely ever touched it, mostly used it for Lauren Brooks workouts when I wasn't swinging).

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 07:46 AM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxblack1 View Post
I have a J-Lo butt already (it's not nearly all muscle though, lol), so I hope it doesn't grow with kettlebells (unless I lose the fat). I would love some lifting though!
Beware, this was me before starting KB's, and after 2 months of KB work (using 15 and 25# KB's), it was the double J-Lo butt look! (Granted, my diet could have been improved, so beware of your eating...). At least I know now what the solution is if my booty ever deflates! I think it was the swings w/ the thrust at the top that was the culprit--my body responds very well to strength work. I've since thinned it out nicely by inserting lots of cardio and medium and light weights in my rotation in the last 4 months, so make sure you include lots of cardio too. I realize everyone's body types are different but just an FYI.
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 08:23 AM  
suegy3

Kettlebells! Nothing will lift your butt faster that working with kettlebells!!! The results are amazing!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 08:51 AM  
kristieb726

Okay.....I'm going to ask a silly question. Can't the same thing be accomplished by doing squats? I can't imagine that pushing your hips forward loads the muscle that much more. Essentially you're squeezing your glutes as you stand up and aren't you supposed to do that anyway when rising from a squat? I really feel it in my tush when I push from my heels and squeeze my butt to bring myself back up out of the squat. I don't do kettlebell workouts, so maybe I'm missing something ;o)

Kris
kristieb726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 09:05 AM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post
Beware, this was me before starting KB's, and after 2 months of KB work (using 15 and 25# KB's), it was the double J-Lo butt look! (Granted, my diet could have been improved, so beware of your eating...). At least I know now what the solution is if my booty ever deflates! I think it was the swings w/ the thrust at the top that was the culprit--my body responds very well to strength work.
Yeah, I think I have read a few times that people got bigger. I don't build muscle easily at all, so hopefully that won't happen. I've been practicing swings for weeks now w/a 20 lb. and I haven't gotten any bigger yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieb726 View Post
Okay.....I'm going to ask a silly question. Can't the same thing be accomplished by doing squats? I can't imagine that pushing your hips forward loads the muscle that much more. Essentially you're squeezing your glutes as you stand up and aren't you supposed to do that anyway when rising from a squat? I really feel it in my tush when I push from my heels and squeeze my butt to bring myself back up out of the squat. I don't do kettlebell workouts, so maybe I'm missing something ;o)

Kris
Squats are awesome too! I definitely feel my butt/hamstrings more with a deadlift-type move though, and the swing is more similar to a deadlift than a squat (to me anyway). It's the hinging over at the hips and loading the legs/hips/butt wit the KB and then snapping back up that kills my tush.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 09:10 AM  
suegy3

Quote:

Kris
It's not a silly question. But it's not the same. You have to try doing swings for 30 seconds and you'll see the difference. Swings are a killer!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 09:14 AM  
Sass

I found that doing lots of one leg strength exercises, lunges and squat variations it is what picked my behind up. I took some new pics and I'm over the moon right now.
Old 08-17-10, 09:26 AM  
kristieb726

Nyx....single leg dead lifts also hit you deep in the glute as well!!

Kris
Old 08-17-10, 09:27 AM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
How long does it take to notice a difference and do you have to go heavy with the KB? I've been using 15 lb KB mostly, use it 2 times a week now, and am looking for greater changes. Thanks.
Well, what weight you need depends upon what you're doing, but if you're doing swings, 15 lbs. is rather light. I use 25 lbs. for double-hand swings, and that's probably a little too light for me; I could stand 30-35 lbs. (I do use my 15 lbs. for TGUs, windmills, and long series of presses, as I have an elbow issue that can't take a lot of weight; otherwise I tend to use my 20 lbs. for most moves, although for heavier moves like swings and deadlifts I immediately reach for my 25 lbs.)
As for how long to see results, well, that depends. Keep at it. A thought: you can work up to doing swings (say, 200) daily or almost daily, which make for nice add-ons that'll boost your HR for a little bit and hopefully also your rear end.

Quote:
I agree that kettlebell swings are more of a deadlift motion rather than a squatting, so there's more emphasis on the posterior chain (including the glutes) whereas squats tend to call up on the quadriceps a bit more, even if they do require the glutes and other muscles of the posterior chain to complete the move.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 09:29 AM  
kristieb726

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
It's not a silly question. But it's not the same. You have to try doing swings for 30 seconds and you'll see the difference. Swings are a killer!
Sue you little devil....you're tempting me to go buy a kettle bell just to test out this theory (cough...cough...shopping excuse...cough)

Kris

Tags
butt, glutes, kettlebells, pilates band, spongebob butt