Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-23, 04:07 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Best workouts for lower body slimming

I realize this question has been asked a million times, but I'm asking again. What type of workouts are best for lower body slimming? High reps, low reps in weight training, cardio, or something like callanetics. How about any combination of various types?

If you've been successful, please chime in.
Old 02-23-23, 08:24 PM  
bfit

The only thing I ever did where I saw definite results in the lower body is live barre classes. I think it was because it was consistent (an hour twice a week), high reps, and emphasis on good form at all times.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-23, 08:35 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
The only thing I ever did where I saw definite results in the lower body is live barre classes. I think it was because it was consistent (an hour twice a week), high reps, and emphasis on good form at all times.
Same.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-23, 09:09 PM  
Karla25

The Firm Vol. 1 & 2 are great at slimming the lower body. I think it’s the combination of floorwork and aerobics. I had much better results when I regularly did the Firm than when I do workouts that just work the lower body, but don’t have any cardio.
Old 02-23-23, 10:26 PM  
lotusgirl

Following because I've done weights and running and my quads would get bigger than I liked. I used to build muscle easily as a teen through my 40s. I was small but more muscular than I liked. This was before barre became so popular.

I'm interested in barre after seeing the training that ballet dancers go through - they are incredible athletes. Plus, I've become a core fanatic.
Old 02-23-23, 11:11 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

original Callanetics with Callan.

Leg press.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-23, 06:05 AM  
donnamp

For me, for slimming I would say some sort of combo of high rep/low weight (or even body weight) standing exercises and floorwork. For cardio moderate low impact stuff.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-23, 12:22 PM  
edensmom

Slim Series (Slim Training rotation?) was like magic for lower body slimming. I developed a wicked case of tennis elbow however. Eventually I had to take SIX months off upper body workouts in order for it to heal.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-23, 12:54 PM  
Scorpio6

Either Super Callanetics or even better, Inch Loss by Hamelin d'Abell. He's online only no DVDs with him and located in London. However, he is very familiar with Callanetics, I think he was in one or two of her original videos.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-23, 04:27 PM  
dnna

tried and true>Winsor buns and thighs.
I have been doing that for years and actually adding in my pt exercise my strength and slimming has been very successful!
dnna is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lower body results, lower body slimming