Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Vendor Comments/Reviews
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-15, 08:23 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

anyone order from bodywisdomdvds.com ?

their minimum for free shipping is only $25.

wondering if anyone had any experience to share.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 05:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

guinea pig report:

i ordered on thursday and just got a shipping confirm today. tracking was provided. i used the free shipping option - ordered Yoga Over 50 and Yoga for Back Care.

EDITED TO ADD - 1/25/15:
the tracking info appears to have been updated, and the item is being sent from NJ. when i looked up info about Bodywisdom on the web, their business seems to be registered in Texas. i realize fulfillment centers can be from anywhere, but it just struck me as unusual. it's not as if Bodywisdom is a huge behemoth like Gaiam, Beachbody or Anchor Bay where the company has order and fulfillment centers all over the US.

1/26/15 update:
item arrived at my local PO and hopefully it's being sorted and will be out for delivery today. this is tremendously awesome service.

1/26/15:
item was indeed delivered on this day - that makes it 4 days from time of shipping notification to actual arrival. very happy with their service. packaging was good.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 01-25-15, 08:36 AM  
BunnyHop

Good to know, thanks for sharing info!
Old 01-25-15, 09:18 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
guinea pig report:

i ordered on thursday and just got a shipping confirm today. tracking was provided. i used the free shipping option - ordered Yoga Over 50 and Yoga for Back Care.
I hope ordering and receiving your purchase goes smoothly. I am interested in hearing about these DVD's, too. They are with Barbara Benaugh, right?

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 11:26 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
I hope ordering and receiving your purchase goes smoothly. I am interested in hearing about these DVD's, too. They are with Barbara Benaugh, right?
Hi Diana - yes, it's by Barbara.

there aren't too many postings about it - here's a few:

Barbara Benagh Yoga Over 50

Yoga for Back Care - Barbara Benagh

and the Reviews section, a review by our own Dr. Beth:
Yoga for Back Care

Bodywisdom rarely puts out too many DVDs. The Yoga for Back Care (2013) and Yoga Over 50 (2012) are the first Benagh releases since 2007! that's a long dry spell. and for that matter, i don't think Bodywisdom's other instructors released anything new between that time. not sure why.

i keep her Yoga for Stress Relief and AM/PM Yoga near my bed for use with a portable DVD player. it's like a bedtime lullaby whenever i do any of these! it's amazing how much these 2 DVDs provide a mental and physical release of tension. besides Benagh, i also appreciate the meditation DVDs by Rodney Yee and Maritza from Gaiam. but lately, it's been all Barbara, Barbara, Barbara for me.

Old 01-25-15, 10:02 PM  
Diana3271

I also love her Stress Relief and AM PM DVD's, but I haven't been able to do those recently. I have been having issues with postherpetic neuralgia from my bout with shingles 2 1/2 years ago. The shingles was on my back and around my side. I started doing some KY over the Summer and some of the moves aggravated those nerves. I think it was the rock 'n roll on the spine that caused the problem. I probably should have known better but I wasn't having any issues. Anyways I got things to calm down again with using capsaicin cream. I used another DVD this past week that was lying on my back and it caused the postherpetic neuralgia to flare up again. So, I'm really missing those relaxing DVD's that Barbara has. Hopefully I will be able to get back to them in the future.

When you get the Yoga over 50 DVD, I would appreciate it if you could look at a couple things for me.

The premix: Seated Poses - How long is this section and how relaxing is it? I don't have much time before bed and prefer something short.

The premix: Guided Relaxation and Meditation - I would assume this one is lying on the floor. But if you get a chance to do it and let me know.

The premix: Gentle Yoga on a Chair - How long and how relaxing?

I can sit on the floor/chair and that doesn't bother me. Lying in the bed doesn't bother me. I might need to try to adapt some of the routines to the bed.

Sorry for the long post. Just missing me some Barbara. If you get a chance I would appreciate you looking at those sections. TIA

I think I might need to post a question for some recommendations for yoga that fits my needs.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 01-26-15, 01:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
I also love her Stress Relief and AM PM DVD's, but I haven't been able to do those recently. I have been having issues with postherpetic neuralgia from my bout with shingles 2 1/2 years ago. The shingles was on my back and around my side. I started doing some KY over the Summer and some of the moves aggravated those nerves. I think it was the rock 'n roll on the spine that caused the problem. I probably should have known better but I wasn't having any issues. Anyways I got things to calm down again with using capsaicin cream.
Diana, gosh, I am so sorry for your pain!!!! I saw your post on general also.

as soon as my package arrives, I will review it quickly and report back. I just updated my post upthread regarding my package status (it arrived at my local PO, and i'm guessing will be out for delivery shortly, hopefully).

could you do seated yoga on the floor or chair or standing yoga? even some Ellen Barrett might do the trick!

another idea - if the weather is OK in your area or if you have access to a heated pool - how about aqua therapy? my friend was an aquatics teacher at the local YWCA and my husband's PE professor was also a big proponent of water aerobics.

I did water aerobics with the foam belt and foam "shoes" when I was pregnant many moons ago, and it tremendously relieved my sciatica.

Old 01-26-15, 02:12 PM  
Diana3271

bzar I have gotten the nerves to calm down again, so I'm doing fine. I just don't need to aggravate them again, LOL. I actually have some of the suggestions from the other thread. I'm really glad I made that post because it helped me to see that I can probably use what I already have. I had been doing a certain type of yoga before bed and that was my only focus, it's like having blinders on.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 01-26-15, 09:19 PM  
Diana3271

Great news about the delivery being so quick. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on your new workouts.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 01-27-15, 01:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Great news about the delivery being so quick. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on your new workouts.
wow - it was indeed delivered yesterday via USPS.

I tried 2 of the workouts on Y>50. here's my response to your questions:
Quote:
The premix: Seated Poses - How long is this section and how relaxing is it? I don't have much time before bed and prefer something short.50 min

The premix: Guided Relaxation and Meditation - I would assume this one is lying on the floor. But if you get a chance to do it and let me know.20 min

The premix: Gentle Yoga on a Chair - How long and how relaxing?
50 min
so far, I did the Guided Relaxation and about 20 min of the Seated Poses premixes. Guided Relaxation is all done laying down, and I did it in bed - she has you covered with a blanket, head propped up, knees propped up, eye bag (I used a t-shirt). it's mostly leg stretches. it worked because I dozed off!!!

for the Seated Pose segment, the first 2 moves are laying down! that's about 8-10 min, and then you sit up on the floor right after that. I checked to make sure I was on the correct chapter after she did the supine position postures. I stopped at about the 20 min mark.

I did part of another segment not on your list - Osteoarthritis. I think it starts out in the supine position on the floor. i'll be doing it again and will take better notes.

Here are all of the segments - i'll be doing these over the next week so that I can give y'all a breakdown:

- Flexibility & Strength
- Seated Poses
- Flowing Sun Salutations
- Guided Relaxation and Meditation
- Gentle Yoga on a Chair
- Osteoporosis
- Osteoarthritis

Tags
barbara benagh, body wisdom media, eye bag, yoga for back care, yoga over 50