Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-15, 09:39 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I have gone for a couple of months of only doing CS/Essentrics but I also crave more variety, as well. I usually add in other cardio (walking, rebounding, virtual active) but was a slacker with my cardio during our cold winter here, so some days I just did CS and shoveling snow, and that was plenty for me.

I do like strength work, but don't do as much as I used to. When I'm in the mood, I love my kettlebells, but have also lightened up the weights from when I first began.

Ellen remains a favorite, too and I know CS is a valuable addition to whatever else I'm doing. Sometimes it might be the only thing, but that's usually short lived, because I do get bored easily and have so many other workouts.

My posture is much improved, as is my over all well being. It was a long, dreary winter and I was so glad to be working out with Miranda or Sahra in dreamy exotic locations. Classical stretch has also improved my circulation and when I'm regularly doing a daily episode, I sleep better at night without leg and hip pain.

I do appreciate shorter workouts, and the fact that Miranda tries to hit the whole body in such a short amount of time. My arms/triceps usually need extra work, and I like doing pilates for legs, in addition. But, some days a half an hour is all I have time for so CS fits the bill!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 09:45 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm approaching my one-year anniversary with CS/Essentrics, and I rarely do much of anything else. If I do, it's Ellen, walking with Leslie/Jessica, some KCM that is highly modified, some fun and easy dancing, some ballet that's easy and fun, and more recently, Tracie Long with a 5 pound weight (no more than that or my joints just hurt). I make a point to purposely not get too sweaty or exert too much stress on my body anymore; I just can't recover like I could before (and I'm just 41!).

I had done heavy weights and high impact cardio for a loooong time, so when I figured out I didn't have to feel bad every day and even drop weight, I signed up for EssentricsTV. I dropped a pant size, lost 10 pounds, my arms are tone, my legs don't bulk, I feel my side muscles now, concentrate on my posture all the time, and wasn't sick all winter!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 06:36 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Thank you so much for the responses! What it boils down to for me is should I spend $64 + shipping for CS Season 10 when I had not long ago committed to just doing the traditional Cathe workouts I already have (plus various things for cardio). I am so fickle! The Cathe workouts work well for me but I am having a hard time staying motivated.

The CS workouts caught my eye on PBS.
You might consider doing a month of their membership if you can. It will give you access to so many of their videos (as opposed to a single season) and give you a feel for whether you might want to continue with it. If you decide you really like it, great. If not, you're only out about $15.
Old 04-12-15, 08:41 AM  
Sara1000

Thanks, Jill. I don't do streaming for workouts as the right equipment is not in my workout room. I guess I could tape the shows on PBS as I do have a VCR on both TVs.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 08:49 AM  
TinaT

Don't do what I've done. I use CS for a time and then think I need to move on. I have spent and wasted so much time and money on other workouts, only to regret not sticking with CS as my core foundation for fitness. It really does offer so much for our bodies. My joint issues will never go away, but I can minimize them. The mobility, flexibility, and range of motion benefits are priceless.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 10:17 AM  
Elzabee5

I have not read all of the replies yet, but I went for several months using CS only.

I agree it's all about personal preference and what you want from your workouts and how muscular you want to be.

I didn't feel or look as "fit" as I did about 10 years or so ago when I did the Firm (mostly classics). I'm also not 10 years or so younger now, either (I was in my early to mid 20's then).

BUT with CS my muscles were very functionally strong, I was much better coordinated, and I was quite a bit more flexible. I don't know how to describe it, but I felt much better in my body... more aware, like a trained dancer-- for example, when I started a dance aerobics class later that year, I felt a greater control over my body.... I wasn't throwing my arms and legs around like many other participants in the class, and like I might have been hand I not done the CS.

I have read other stories here, too, about being able to do things like lay sod, I think, without getting tired. I have not done this activity, but I can say from experience that with strength training (the Firm) you can do these sorts of things much easier, but at the end of the day, you would still be tired and your joints could even be sore or stiff. With CS, the added flexibility and range of movement plus strength very nearly eliminates that feeling.

There are some visible results, but you won't likely look like you do the Firm or Cathe. You will, however, look toned, and your posture may very well be excellent. There's not a lot more I can say, because due to a very stressful, sedentary lifestyle overall (difficult desk job with loads of mandatory overtime) and being an emotional eater, I am sad to say that I am about 15-20 lbs heavier than I was when I did the traditional weight training nearly every day, so I don't know how toned I would look at my ideal weight. Personally, CS does not have any effect on my weight. Traditional weight training may have had more of an effect. However, I am also at the age now, I think, where what I put in my mouth is much more important for weight maintenance.
Elzabee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 10:29 AM  
TinaT

I did want to clarify, that while I will use CS/Essentrics on a regular basis, I am adding in Tracie Long because of her functional fitness approach. I want to blend the two and see what happens.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 10:54 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

As was said earlier, it's really a matter of what you enjoy and what gives you the results you want. I think daily CS works for a lot of people as their primary form of toning and stretching. I did a month of my regular cardio, KBs, and CS, skipping my reclined stretching/yin yoga routine that I do several times a week. I definitely had noticeable increase in spinal and shoulder mobility, but I did not get enough front body stretching and my knees and hips felt it. Plus, as much as I like Essentrics (I prefer Sahra to Miranda) I just can't do the same thing day after day as I start to get bored with it.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 08:47 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzabee5 View Post
There are some visible results, but you won't likely look like you do the Firm or Cathe. You will, however, look toned, and your posture may very well be excellent. There's not a lot more I can say, because due to a very stressful, sedentary lifestyle overall (difficult desk job with loads of mandatory overtime) and being an emotional eater, I am sad to say that I am about 15-20 lbs heavier than I was when I did the traditional weight training nearly every day, so I don't know how toned I would look at my ideal weight. Personally, CS does not have any effect on my weight. Traditional weight training may have had more of an effect. However, I am also at the age now, I think, where what I put in my mouth is much more important for weight maintenance.
I definitely don't look like I did when I did heavy weights and high impact. I'm short and put muscle on very quickly -- I also only have excess weight in my midsection and upper body. My quads bulk very quickly, and Essentrics has lengthened them out considerably. I haven't picked up a weight higher than 5 pounds in a year, and my arms are lean and very toned. I might even wear a tank top this year! (gasp!)

I think people's experiences are so varied based on the ligament/tendon to muscle ratio -- perhaps those with a high ratio do better with this form of toning and others do better with heavier weights for toning. I've tried everything over the course of 20 years+ to find something that works for me, but I know other people in my family who tried it and had zero results...different strokes for different folks!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 10:07 PM  
Elzabee5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I haven't picked up a weight higher than 5 pounds in a year, and my arms are lean and very toned. I might even wear a tank top this year! (gasp!)
CS works wonders on my arms. They had bulked up after lots of yoga (flow); CS slimmed them down noticeably.
Elzabee5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, cs rotations, essentrics, essentrics rotations