Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-13, 08:22 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzabee5 View Post
All of the comments in response to this thread are interesting-- particularly this one. I have been interested in Classical stretch, but to be honest, I can never figure out exactly what it IS. I recently posted about yoga and solutions for the lower half... Does CS do the trick? From your post, it seems it may.

The downside of the whole classical stretch thing though is that I don't see where you can try it out to good effect without spending a decent deal of $. So far as I can tell, it is not on my PBS station. How is it different than yoga (other than, of course, it's obviously NOT yoga)? I guess I was concerned that the benefit of CS would be the same as yoga (flexibility, good posture), but done in a different form. Is there a decent focus on the lower body? Again, I don't mean to be "thick," but even after searching threads on CS, I still don't really get what it IS. I do have ballet beautiful, which while boring, is OK. Is this like a more interesting version of ballet beautiful? Glowacki's rotation seems very interesting to me. Thanks.
I think the big factor with CS is the dynamic "trademark" stretches. Everything gets so "pulled out" and at the same time worked. There is a learning curve with CS, and I think you become more familiar and can work more strenuously. I can work very hard during episodes that years ago I think I just floated through.

CS does a great job of lower body..all the plies, kicks, leg lifts, bicycles, etc. I like to supplement upper body with a short 10 minute solution type workout.

Seriously, I don't think I have taken a step back in fitness focusing on CS. I have areas to work on, but people comment about how fit I look and that I've gotten back to pre-baby weight. I still need to work on my abs but that is kitchen work (oh I like chocolate!).

If you were to buy a Season, I would suggest Season 8. Otherwise, Sahra's most recent offerings are also very well used at my house. Yes, they are expensive workouts but if you do them often it is worth the investment. If you don't like them, they are highly tradeable and sellable.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-13, 08:39 PM  
Elzabee5

Thanks very much, Jackie B! I think I will try season 8.
Elzabee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-13, 09:02 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzabee5 View Post
Thanks very much, Jackie B! I think I will try season 8.
I hope you enjoy your new CS! I LOVE Season 8. I think it is Miranda's best work.

Jackie
who is off to do some CS after a good sweaty walk
Old 05-07-13, 07:26 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
There is a learning curve with CS, and I think you become more familiar and can work more strenuously. I can work very hard during episodes that years ago I think I just floated through.

Jackie
This is the truth. Years ago, CS was for a light day. Now, even a 24 minute episode can be a major workout for me, and I have to plan (psychologically as well as my whole workout week) for the hour long workouts.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 08:19 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

I agree about the learning curve w/ CS - if you don't want to invest in a "Season" I do think her 30 Min Express Workouts and Full Body Workout Volume 2 would be a good place to start.

You can also check your library - mine has Season 4 and Season 8 (unfortunately, the 2 seasons I do have!)

To describe it is hard - it is sort of Pilates-Dance-T'ai Chi - but really, it is what it is - its own unique workout.

I tend to float between CS and Yoga - sometimes doing both - sometimes focusing more on one than the other.

Glowacki - I'd love to hear more about your rotation - such as a sample week. It sounds like it would fit in well w/ what I'd like to do these days.

My current rotation is a blend of yoga, CS, Margaret Richard and cardio. I sometimes throw Ellen or Jessica in too.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 08:37 AM  
desie

Vimeo.com has quite a few mini-workouts from Sahra (Essentrics).
http://vimeo.com/search?q=Essentrics&advanced=1

Introduction to Essentrics Flexibility Workout (14 ½ minutes)
2 years ago

Posture exercises from the Essentrics Workout (12 ½ minutes)
2 years ago

Introduction to Essentrics: Mini Body Toning Workout
2 years ago (12 ½ minutes)

Essentrics stretch workout live from Jamaica
2 years ago (17 minutes)

Weights-free Arm Toning from the Essentrics Workout
2 years ago (7 ½ minutes)

And there are some other videos that you can find that are short segments:
Classical Stretch mini workout to slenderize waist
Essentrics Hip Stretch for Hockey
Essentrics Quad Stretch
Essentrics Workout Waist Thinners
leg routine (from Miranda on Classical Stretch)
Shoulder, Upper Back Pectoral Stretch
Thigh Thinners Essentrics Workout

A lot of these videos are high definition, so if they take too long to download or don't play well, you can find them on you-tube in a faster streaming format.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 09:53 AM  
flowerpotcat

They also have a youtube channel, w/c has similar content to the vimeo channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/essentricsworkout
flowerpotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 10:39 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I don't seem to be able to stick with anything for any period of time these days. I'm too easily swayed! I got hooked on CS by watching and then DVRing PBS. Then I bought two seasons (4 and 8).

Then I fell in love with Jessica Smith and she's the only cardio I do.

Then I read the Jari Love results thread, and have been doing her twice a week after Jessica - and CS twice a week after Jessica. My hip and shoulders hurt now. Is it from Jari? I don't know. I love the workouts, though - but I probably won't do them long enough to really see results.

Here's my concern: CS works your muscles a certain way. Jari Love and other strength training seem to work muscles in an opposite way. Don't they cancel each other out then? CS elongates your muscles and works more of them at a time. Other methods contract your muscles and work them more one at a time.

I emailed Miranda about this a few weeks ago and she told me she's been doing only CS for all these years, and that she's flexible and strong. She doesn't like to discourage anyone from doing what they like to do - she herself doesn't like weights, treadmill, etc. She said she couldn't really advise me because she doesn't know what my body looks like. So she didn't really answer the question about the methods cancelling each other out - only that she doesn't do any other type of training.

What do do? What to do?
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 10:48 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Joni I get what you're saying. There are workouts I miss that seem counterproductive to what CS is all about.

Even something as low key as Powerfit...I feel like I am crunches things up when I should be pulling the muscles out.

Jackie
Old 05-07-13, 11:29 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

I became addicted to Classical Stretch at the beginning of this year. I did an episode of CS 5 days a week in addition to whatever else I did. I found that I didn't have the time or desire to do much else, though. Then I did the April bootcamp using season 8, because that is the only season I have. I typically walked 20-30 minutes outdoors and did an episode after that. Seven days a week was a bit much for me, but 5 was perfect.

This is the longest I have ever stayed with anything...even things I loved at one time. I've had good results in many areas with other workouts. Some have been good for endurance, some for strength, some for flexibility, some for upper body definition, some for lower body definition, but Classical Stretch has honestly been good for all of that. And I've lost weight.

After 30 straight episodes, I missed other things, so I've only done CS twice since May 1. And my body is not happy with me on days I don't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I do Classical Stretch/Essentrics daily. I mix it up with outdoor walking, Ellen Barrett workouts, and Qi Gong. Sometimes I might do a short barre workout.

I have to say this is the slimmest I've been since having kids. I've pretty much been doing CS daily for three years.

Jackie
Jackie, those sound like all the workouts I like. Well, I also like Zumba/dance cardio and want to fit it in again too. Can you tell me how you fit them all in? There just aren't that many hours in a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacki View Post
Truth be told, I sometimes miss my old workouts (Taebo, Cathe, The Firm, Brazil Butt Lift) or want to try new ones, but then that would be time away from CS and I'm not making that trade off. I think it's a combination of CS/Essentrics and yoga - not CS by itself - but I have the same muscle tone and definition as when I was doing STS.
I miss other things too, but I have to agree with you about the muscle tone and definition.

My neighbor (who is only 40) has recently been diagnosed with something that prevents her from doing high impact. She said she'd been doing yoga, but was getting bored with it and wished she could find something that did everything she needed and gave her some variety too. I told her about Classical Stretch and that I had not done a push up in quite a while. Then the weirdness began. I had her feel my arms. Our 12 year old daughters thought we were crazy. She couldn't believe I got that definition without weights or push ups. She ordered season 8 too.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, cs rotations