Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-13, 12:12 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Usia, your gray cat is just so beautiful.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 07:08 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I got a season of classical stretch (I think season 7) and traded it. I had lower back issues at the time and this exacerbated it. I was able to stabilize with core and weight work (started from 0 with viniyoga with Gary Kraftsow/PT/Chiro to Cathe weights and core work). Now that I have stabalized my core I can do classical stretch without injury but am still very careful. I like Essentrics as there is quite a lot of instruction so have had a bit better luck with these. I really enjoy them. I now can do Miranda a bit better and may even try another season at some point.
Old 02-28-13, 07:19 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
If you do a "search" on VF you'll find a lot of threads.

CS/Essentrics is a program developed by Miranda Esmonde White to address her and her students' back pain. It's a unique stretching and strengthening program that features trademark stretches that are dynamic (through movement). She's done a lot of research and her ideas continue to evolve and get better.

Classical Stretch is originally what the TV episodes are named and a few of her older dvds; Essentrics they have named some newer releases for marketing purposes. Now Miranda's daughter, Sahra has become involved and been featured in dvds.

There are some little mini YouTube workouts, and a more recent episode from the not yet released Season 9:

Introduction to Essentrics Flexibility Workout (15 mins) http://vimeo.com/20927399

Essentrics Mini Body Toning Workout (12 mins) http://vimeo.com/20928673

Essentrics Posture Exercises (12 mins) http://vimeo.com/20929595

Slenderize Your Legs (9 mins) http://vimeo.com/24236617 (This one is instructional, but gives you some simple exercises you can do anywhere, anytime during the day)

CS 912 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5aGpplCEzo

This will give you a taste of what CS is all about.

Jackie

ETA--People use CS in a lot of different ways--some add it on the end of their daily workouts, some a few times a week. I do CS daily and it is my priority. It is what is keeping my back and hip limber and pain free. I pitched my "real" workouts a few years ago and haven't looked back.
Thank you!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 10:30 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
I also wholeheartedly recommend Season 8! It's my favorite season so far.
You've convinced me to bust this one out! I bought it just as I was doing...well, *less* CS so I probably haven't done more than two or three workouts from that season.

Sigh - I have barely done Season 8, but seeing that youtube clip with the gorgeous ocean in the background makes me want to get Season 9 anyway. For some reason, I find myself wanting to collect these. I rationalize it by saying I'm supporting a fellow Canadian

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 10:39 AM  
dela

Season 8 is wonderful! I had started doing season 4 with the intent of working through them all, but started finding they were too "easy" or something and probably better to mingle that season with other seasons, so decided to pop in 801, and it was awesome! I just finished the first two discs of season 8 and found only 3 episodes I wasn't in love with, but the rest so far are fantastic.

Based on how good 8 is, I will be getting season 9, I also want the Vintage Collection Vol. 2, but I'll need one more item for free shipping. I may hold out until the November sale, but the "Limited Quantities" on the Vintage set worries me . Oh, I guess I could pick up the 55 minute Core workout for my third.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 10:54 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I like Miranda's (and Sahra's) newer stuff. I have Season 4 and never do it. Ditto with Season 5. Right now I'm doing a lot of Season 6 and some favorites of 7 just to not burn out on 8. And I do Sahra's Stretch/Strength Essentrics every week.

The older workouts I don't gravitate to. I have all the "Vintage" workouts and they are nice but don't have the fantastic trademarks that my body loves. Full Body 1 is nearly all toning without the nice stretchies. I do like the Express workouts--Beachside is great. I far prefer the newer practices, though.

Off to corral the kiddos-
Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 12:34 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonH View Post
Usia, your gray cat is just so beautiful.
Thank you, Sharon! Basil is a British Shorthair (as is Ziggy) and he is my soul mate.
Old 02-28-13, 01:36 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Does anyone know whether they post the current episode to youtube, or was that episode an advertisement or bootleg or something else?

thanks. Just deciding if I want to look for it. I keep thinking I'll set up recording the pbs shows.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 01:45 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Thank you, Sharon! Basil is a British Shorthair (as is Ziggy) and he is my soul mate.
Well, if your cats ever have kittens, please think of me.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-13, 04:24 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Does anyone know whether they post the current episode to youtube, or was that episode an advertisement or bootleg or something else?

thanks. Just deciding if I want to look for it. I keep thinking I'll set up recording the pbs shows.
I don't know who posted it. I know it is CS 912. I've been recording episodes from Season 9 on my dvr and haven't come across this episode.

If you have access to local pbs that carries CS, that's great! Nice opportunity to try out the workouts.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, cs rotations, eccentric weight training, essentrics comparison