Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-13, 07:52 AM  
isebelleg44

Talk to me about Classical Stretch

I know it is a television show and I have skimmed threads about in the past. What is it exactly? Why do you like it? Where do you buy it? What should I try to get a taste of it? Is Essentrics different?

Thanks for any feedback!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 08:27 AM  
altinker

I was wondering the same thing as I've just started seeing threads about it. I'm adding to the questions.

Does it replace a strength training workout? Is it more like a yoga practice? How do you fit it into your exercise regime?
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 08:41 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

If you do a "search" on VF you'll find a lot of threads.

CS/Essentrics is a program developed by Miranda Esmonde White to address her and her students' back pain. It's a unique stretching and strengthening program that features trademark stretches that are dynamic (through movement). She's done a lot of research and her ideas continue to evolve and get better.

Classical Stretch is originally what the TV episodes are named and a few of her older dvds; Essentrics they have named some newer releases for marketing purposes. Now Miranda's daughter, Sahra has become involved and been featured in dvds.

There are some little mini YouTube workouts, and a more recent episode from the not yet released Season 9:

Introduction to Essentrics Flexibility Workout (15 mins) http://vimeo.com/20927399

Essentrics Mini Body Toning Workout (12 mins) http://vimeo.com/20928673

Essentrics Posture Exercises (12 mins) http://vimeo.com/20929595

Slenderize Your Legs (9 mins) http://vimeo.com/24236617 (This one is instructional, but gives you some simple exercises you can do anywhere, anytime during the day)

CS 912 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5aGpplCEzo

This will give you a taste of what CS is all about.

Jackie

ETA--People use CS in a lot of different ways--some add it on the end of their daily workouts, some a few times a week. I do CS daily and it is my priority. It is what is keeping my back and hip limber and pain free. I pitched my "real" workouts a few years ago and haven't looked back.
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 09:12 AM  
PhyllisG

I had Essentrics and didn't care for it very much and finally traded it. But I like the clips I just viewed with Miranda. Where to start? I liked her leg clip on vimeo and remember that on Ballet Physique they mention that dancers' do that calf raise throughout the day. So for those of you who do these regularly what do you suggest? I do P57, TA and now Ballet Physique so I guess I have some experience.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 09:38 AM  
Sophie

Great summary Jackie!

This made me think that Classical Stretch deserves its own "Everything" thread, like "Everything Kettlebells" and "Everything Exercise Games"....anyway, that then made me realize that I can't find those threads anymore, that used to be stickied...anybody know where they are?

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 10:02 AM  
JustSandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by altinker View Post
Does it replace a strength training workout? Is it more like a yoga practice? How do you fit it into your exercise regime?
Classical Stretch/Essentrics, besides stretching the body through all planes of motion, also strengthen the muscles in the "eccentric" (long) position, as opposed to traditional weight training which strengthens muscle in the "concentric" (shortened) position.

CS can be effective on its own for strengthening, but also is complementary to many other forms of exercise. For example, I love to combine CS with Margaret Richard (low weight/high rep). CS also keeps the body in balance. Miranda works with professional and Olympic athletes from many sports (from hockey to diving to figure skating) for that reason. She also has testimonials from clients who say CS has helped them with many chronic health issues.

There isn't any real difference between Classical Stretch and Essentrics. The latter is now led by Miranda's daughter, Sahra.

If you don't care for yoga, I think CS makes a good substitute.

Note that not everyone clicks with CS. Some VFers find the moves exacerbate their problem areas. Also, Miranda can be somewhat hard to follow at first. That gets better as you learn the basic moves. Miranda does have a quirky personality, which I enjoy but others find annoying. If you like CS but not Miranda, you might try Essentrics with Sahra.

The CS TV episodes on DVD run about 23 minutes, making them a good length to add on to a regular workout, or to do by themselves when you are short on time. Some VFers like Jackie have found CS so beneficial they make these workouts the focus of their fitness routines.

Classical Stretch workouts hold their value very well. So if you purchase a CS workout and discover you just don't like it, you will have no trouble trading it here at VF or reselling it. ETA: The best place to purchase Classical Stretch/Essentrics is their website, www.classicalstretch.com. You may find the DVDs elsewhere, but almost always at a wildly inflated price!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 10:05 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Sophie I had thought the same thing. It seems like these questions come up pretty regularly.

PhyllisG what Essentrics did you have? What didn't you like about it?

Personally, I think that the best offerings right now are Season 8 and Sahra's new Essentrics--her Stretch/Strength Through Motion. Her Class of 2012 is also very good, but long. I love, love, love both the Strength practices and have probably done them every week since last year.

At the CS Checkin, Glamgal is in Colorado at the instructor training. She mentioned that Miranda is always updating her ideas, etc. I have always felt that Miranda's newest Seasons are the best ones--she is always "tweaking" her movements.

Jackie

Hi Sandra...we were posting at the same time!
Old 02-27-13, 10:38 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandra View Post
Classical Stretch/Essentrics, besides stretching the body through all planes of motion, also strengthen the muscles in the "eccentric" (long) position, as opposed to traditional weight training which strengthens muscle in the "concentric" (shortened) position.

CS can be effective on its own for strengthening, but also is complementary to many other forms of exercise. For example, I love to combine CS with Margaret Richard (low weight/high rep). CS also keeps the body in balance. Miranda works with professional and Olympic athletes from many sports (from hockey to diving to figure skating) for that reason. She also has testimonials from clients who say CS has helped them with many chronic health issues.

There isn't any real difference between Classical Stretch and Essentrics. The latter is now led by Miranda's daughter, Sahra.

If you don't care for yoga, I think CS makes a good substitute.
Note that not everyone clicks with CS. Some VFers find the moves exacerbate their problem areas. Also, Miranda can be somewhat hard to follow at first. That gets better as you learn the basic moves. Miranda does have a quirky personality, which I enjoy but others find annoying. If you like CS but not Miranda, you might try Essentrics with Sahra.

The CS TV episodes on DVD run about 23 minutes, making them a good length to add on to a regular workout, or to do by themselves when you are short on time. Some VFers like Jackie have found CS so beneficial they make these workouts the focus of their fitness routines.

Classical Stretch workouts hold their value very well. So if you purchase a CS workout and discover you just don't like it, you will have no trouble trading it here at VF or reselling it. ETA: The best place to purchase Classical Stretch/Essentrics is their website, www.classicalstretch.com. You may find the DVDs elsewhere, but almost always at a wildly inflated price!
That is exactly how I ended up here. I am getting older, my body is crankier and I am more tired. Enter CS and Essentrics. I just feel better when I'm done. I'm actually on the fence right now with scrapping all workouts except CS to see if it helps my fatigue. I am exhausted all of the time and it's getting the best of me.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-13, 10:59 AM  
Snuckles

Which DVDs give the most results as far as toning? Would that be her TV series, Essentrics workouts or what? I know her stuff is both stretching and toning. I want some stretching but really interested more so at the toning aspect. You know the pants falling down workout, the I need to buy more clothes because everything is too big, and the I haven't changed my diet one bit . . . those.
Old 02-27-13, 11:18 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I think consistency is the key. In general, I think the Essentrics are more focused on toning where the episodes are "sprinklings" of trademarks and toning.

I have not had my pants ever fall off after doing any of those episodes, though, LOL .

Jackie

Tags
classical stretch, cs rotations, eccentric weight training, essentrics comparison