Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-21, 11:37 AM  
kat999

Multiple workouts in same day?

I've got some time off coming, and while my break will be full of holiday prep and reading, I've been considering aiming for multiple workouts a day, with a few caveats. First, I'd only do one "harder" workout, not two, so the second workout of the day would be yoga, pilates, fusion, or stretching-focused, not strength- or cardio-focused. Secondly, only one would be longer, not both, or else the total time would be two hours, max. And finally, I wouldn't do them one right after the other.

How many of you do this? Is there a risk of injury? I've done it in the past but I was younger then, and while I got some good results, I also don't want to hurt myself at all.
Old 12-14-21, 11:53 AM  
edensmom

I used to do it every day up til about 6 years ago. I think if you are doing a strength type workout in one session and a lighter cardio or more restorative workout in the next it's probably fine. I've also read that it's beneficial to separate your strength workout from your hiit workout so you can give each full intensity, if you plan to complete them the same day. At some point you reach the point of diminishing returns because rest is also an important part of achieving fitness goals.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-21, 12:26 PM  
Gams

I do this every day. There’s always a risk of injury no matter what you do. I don’t do killer workouts anymore and I do weights every other day. It works for me.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-21, 01:07 PM  
fanofladyvols

I have done this (at various times this year) but usually broken up throughout the day works best.

None of the sessions last longer than 45 and most are usually each at the 30 min mark.

For me, timing was key to when I ate and had adequate sleep.

Come back and tell us what you think when you try it!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-21, 01:13 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I sometimes will do a couple workouts a day of different exercise modalities.

I do have to comment that there is always a risk of overuse or injury. I know that as I have gotten older I need to listen to my body; I can no longer push it beyond it's limits.

Maybe you want to plan your own retreat at home? Focus on other areas of fitness besides the workout? Do some mental health work, healthy cooking, relaxation, meditation etc?

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-21, 01:53 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I often string short workouts together (30 min or less), but I always finish with something gentle like yin yoga or MELT Method. I don’t do intense workouts any more, stick with Essentrics, low weight/high rep strength (like Jessica Smith or Margaret Richard), walking & other low impact cardio, a little barre, and yoga. Sometimes I break them up, sometimes I do them together.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-21, 02:01 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Maybe you want to plan your own retreat at home? Focus on other areas of fitness besides the workout? Do some mental health work, healthy cooking, relaxation, meditation etc?
What a brilliant idea!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-21, 03:25 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think one challenging workout and one with stretching followed by relaxation would be a good plan and would be beneficial to your body. Be careful though, as yoga and Pilates can be quite strenuous depending on what moves you do. You'll soon find out if you're doing too much.

I remember reading an article by Kathy Smith saying that, for fastest weight loss, you should do two circuit type workouts a day. I tried it several years ago, but it was too much for me. Always worth a try if you can handle it.
Old 12-15-21, 09:26 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
What a brilliant idea!!
I agree!

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-21, 09:55 PM  
fatkat555

I’ve never found that the multiple workouts a day approach works for me. I think it’s a personal preference to do this method, but I find for me that I generally pour all effort into about an hour workout; therefore, I have nothing left in reserve for more. I find doing more than an hour just makes me irritable, hungry, tired, and with an “inflamed” feeling. Again, just my personal experience.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
multiple workouts per day, neat, sparks