Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-05-22, 08:42 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I donate to my library for their book sales.
I'm glad you guys reminded me to check with my library. They had not been taking donations for so long that I forgot. I checked and they're accepting again

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 01:21 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I've been focusing my decluttering efforts on the closet in the bedroom I use as a home office. Hadn't seen that carpet in years, like more than a decade. Mostly I recycled paper from my dissertation research. I have no idea why I kept most of what was in there, probably when I first put it away it made sense to keep those records/data. All of my journals are now in a box rather than scattered around.

It seems like peeling layers - there's much more to do but things are more workable now.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 02:00 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I did a major book purge. My loss was the library's gain. That was hard...
Our library tosses most of their donations. It's hard to believe but two of my kids worked there and they actually brought the books to the dumpster. The library just can't store all the books they get for donations and supposedly doesn't have anywhere else to donate them (hospitals, nursing homes, etc.). My daughter said that once she was bringing the books out to the dumpster that someone had just donated and they saw her doing it and she was so embarrassed (she was instructed by her boss to do it).

Not saying you shouldn't donate, but I don't know if this is happening everywhere or just where we live.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 04:41 PM  
difit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Our library tosses most of their donations. It's hard to believe but two of my kids worked there and they actually brought the books to the dumpster. The library just can't store all the books they get for donations and supposedly doesn't have anywhere else to donate them (hospitals, nursing homes, etc.). My daughter said that once she was bringing the books out to the dumpster that someone had just donated and they saw her doing it and she was so embarrassed (she was instructed by her boss to do it).

Not saying you shouldn't donate, but I don't know if this is happening everywhere or just where we live.

Erica
Our Friends of Library tosses a lot of books too. Especially if you get a lot duplicates or they are damage but they made arrangement with Goodwill to have the books recycle.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 06:28 PM  
BunnyHop

Our library isn't taking donations at the moment at all, and recommends donating to a local charity shop that has a dedicated section for the Friends of the Library group. This seems to be working well.

Another idea is to seek out Little Free Libraries, but I do know some have a specific focus or tone they're aiming for, so it's helpful to bear that in mind. (For example, the one near my church is watched pretty closely. Someone goes through and removes anything they deem inappropriate for a church group library collection.
Old 06-09-22, 07:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

our public libraries have book sales throughout the year and they'll take donations for those sales. all proceeds go to the libraries.

We donated a stuffed bag of clothes to the United Cerebral Palsy today. i was happy to see that DH placed a bunch of shirts that he hadn't worn in ages!

i donated a couple of blouses and a mini ice tray - designed for small refrigerator/freezers.

question for everyone:
what hobbies have you "let go" and which ones have you "kept" including fitness (if that can be considered a hobby!)?

i'm noticing that my piles of clutter are hobby-related. And "hobby" is a plural word for me! i have to let go of some of my hobbies.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 09:05 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

question for everyone:
what hobbies have you "let go" and which ones have you "kept" including fitness (if that can be considered a hobby!)?

i'm noticing that my piles of clutter are hobby-related. And "hobby" is a plural word for me! i have to let go of some of my hobbies.
I only have a few "hobbies" that take up physical space and I have downsized in some categories in recent years.

-I pared down the number of indoor plants and orchids I have to just a few easy care plants. Huge relief. Now I just need to get rid of some orchid potting media, etc. that's taking up a bin in the basement.

-Got rid of almost all of the cookbooks and pared back my binders of recipes to what I might actually reference in the future. I don't cook or bake hardly ever so that wasn't too bad.

-Got rid of all the wrapping paper and ribbon I don't use. I still have wrapping paper and ribbon but I gave myself permission to get rid of what I never reach for.

-I have a pretty big knitting hobby and yarn stash. At a certain point I decided to sell all of my acrylic yarn on ebay (except a couple balls I kept for scrap yarn). If the people I knit for (some of whom are small children) ever have an allergy to cotton or wool, I may buy limited quantities of acrylic in the future but I just don't enjoy knitting with acrylic and I only had it on hand "just in case". I sold the yarn in two lots on ebay. I still have a walk-in closet full of yarn but at least it's all accessible now and yarn I will actually use.

-I pared back the books on my shelves significantly. Mainly only poetry books got to stay plus maybe 3 non-fiction books and 5 fiction books and some knitting books containing colorwork charts. I'm still gradually adding "new" poetry books to the collection because they are the one type of book I will reread and reference (aside from the knitting charts). Everything else I decided I can check out from the library if I want to read.

-I have a large collection of greeting cards, stickers and postage stamps. Not willing to give up this "hobby" as I love sending cards with stickers and seals. At least they're well-organized and contained?

-Not sure if I've ever gotten rid of anything fitness related other than the occasional share the wealth. There's a deflated bosu in the basement that I'm not sure I will ever put to good use...but I don't want to have to buy another one if I change my mind someday....

-Oh wait, I thought of something--the treadmill. It's in the folded up position and I'm giving that to my mom. I discovered that if I'm going to walk indoors, I am much more motivated to do a Jessica Smith walking workout than to walk on the treadmill. The treadmill is just kind of dull and dread-inducing for me, no matter how I've tried to incentivize myself to use it over the years.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 05:45 PM  
DCW

Yes. Cookbooks. I pared down my collection and haven't missed one donated book. Looking at the remaining books i am thinking of copying the recipes i use and donate the book. The books I will keep???? Cookies cookbook.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 11:19 PM  
Vantreesta

I mostly filled a huge TJ Maxx sack with clothes this week to donate. I still have so much to go through but felt good to get this much done.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-22, 05:40 AM  
Izzy

I work at two libraries and we accept donations. Our Friends group has ongoing sales in our front lobby and quarterly sales that are bigger. They make on average $400 a month which they use to support the library and other local non profits.

But you are right we have to toss some donations. If they are damaged, mold, and poor condition we have to toss them. We cannot accept old text books or encyclopedias because no one buys them. But also I found a company out of Indiana that gives us these large bins. The books we toss they will take them and either repair them and they then donate them to other low income schools and libraries or they recycle them and the paper is used for more books. They don’t charge for this service and it’s a win win. In addition a local church has book sales twice a year and we donate to that. We give books to the local jails, pre schools, doctors offices, pediatric cancer center, homeless shelter, domestic violence shelter and other non profits.

Good job on on all your efforts to declutter and re use. For those of you with hobbies check your local shelters they may accept some of your materials.

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, organizing, organizing the home, relocating