Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 05-07-24, 11:32 AM  
sherry7899

fitness watch frustration

About four years ago I bought a Polar A370 after using one of the clip of FitBit step counters for years.

The Polar A370 worked just fine, but after two years, the band just fell apart. Of course Polar no longer sold any compatible bands, and I could not find anything on Amazon either.

I bought another Polar about two years ago. I bought backup bands on Amazon this time while they were still available from a knockoff brand.

Today when I had the Polar on for about a half hour before I went to do my workout and I had a few hundred steps. Right before my workout, the watch shut off by itself. I had not touched anything. It wiped out my steps. I used the watch through my workout and saved it, and it was fine. However, a few minutes later the watch reset it self to zero and changed the date to May 13th without me touching anything.

It was fully charged when this all happened.

I took it off for the day.

If I buy another watch, I think I just want something to count steps. I don't think the calorie burn is ever accurate and I don't really care about that. I don't sleep with it on. I know my sleep is crap. I really just use it to motivate myself to move around more during the day.

Does anyone have suggestions for a really basic, much less expensive watch (preferably from Amazon) that I can just use for steps and can plug in to charge or charge using my computer (not my phone).

thanks!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 05-07-24, 12:10 PM  
Camember

I have an Amazfit Bip U. My boyfriend, his mother and my father also have that same watch. This model I think is not longer available, but Amazfit has several similar newer ones. They work fine and are unexpensive (it was in the 35-50€ range when we bought them in Amazon). The four of us have them since 2022 and never had a problem with them. We had to replace a few of the bands but replacements were very cheap as well (about €10 for 2 better quality than the original bands).

Prior to that I had a Xiaomi Mi Band 4. It's several years old. I gave it to my mom when I inherited the Bip U and she's still using it. It's outdated, but a good example that Xiaomi bands are tough.

If my Amazfit breaks in near future, I'll buy another Amazfit as well. Or a Xiaomi watch if they're not expensive. The two I had were Bluetooth, as I'm not interested in those that go with phisical multisim or multisim esim.
Old 05-07-24, 12:35 PM  
Debinmi

I'm watching this thread with interest. I've been using the Fitbit Inspire2. The 1st one lasted 2 years & although the fitbit still operates, the frame broke where the band attaches. So I bought a 2nd one - it lasted 11 months & the frame on this one broke also - same spot. Fitbit replaced under warranty with a refurbished unit - not sure how long it'll last before it breaks too but by then the warranty will have expired. So I expect I'll be in the market for a tracker this next year. I'm interested to read about people's experiences with various brands also.
Old 05-07-24, 03:22 PM  
prettyinpink

Garmin is more expensive but they do last and last, or at least that’s been my experience. An older model that is very basic might still be a good buy.
Old 05-07-24, 07:20 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for these two suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camember View Post
I have an Amazfit Bip U.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Garmin is more expensive but they do last and last, or at least that’s been my experience. An older model that is very basic might still be a good buy.
Question: can either of them work without having to connect/link it with a smartphone?

I don't want to sync to my smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinmi View Post
I've been using the Fitbit Inspire2.
i used to sync my current tracker, a FitBit Charge 2 to my laptop. it's lasted 3 years so far, including the frame; i am on replacement band #3. unfortunately, FitBit changed the way you sync - you cannot sync to your laptop anymore. I am really upset about this. There are way too many apps that require you to be logged on to your phone 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
If I buy another watch, I think I just want something to count steps. I don't think the calorie burn is ever accurate and I don't really care about that. I don't sleep with it on. I know my sleep is crap. I really just use it to motivate myself to move around more during the day.

Does anyone have suggestions for a really basic, much less expensive watch (preferably from Amazon) that I can just use for steps and can plug in to charge or charge using my computer (not my phone).
Same here.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 05-07-24, 07:22 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

Question: can either of them work without having to connect/link it with a smartphone?

i used to sync my current tracker, a FitBit Charge 2 to my laptop. it's lasted 3 years so far, including the frame; i am on replacement band #3. unfortunately, FitBit changed the way you sync - you cannot sync to your laptop anymore. I am really upset about this. There are way too many apps that require you to be logged on your phone 24/7.
That is why I did not buy a Fitbit when I stopped using the tracker that clipped to clothing. Polar still lets you sync to your computer, which is a feature I really wanted and like.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 05-07-24, 09:33 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

i used to sync my current tracker, a FitBit Charge 2 to my laptop. it's lasted 3 years so far, including the frame; i am on replacement band #3. unfortunately, FitBit changed the way you sync - you cannot sync to your laptop anymore. I am really upset about this. There are way too many apps that require you to be logged on to your phone 24/7.

Same here.
I believe you can with Garmin. I don’t know if the interface is as nice as it is with the phone app. I used to use laptop and phone but haven’t used laptop option in a while. I would check the online manual for the specific device you are interested in. The vivofit 4, one of the more basic ones, does. https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...6115A16D7.html
Old 05-08-24, 08:45 AM  
muggle

I've used a Polar for years off and on because i've had good luck with it and think it has the most reliable heart rate monitor. I bought an Apple watch after doing some research and reading reviews but was SO disappointed!!! I bought it specifically to track my HR during workouts. It would lose my HR in the middle of a workout. Just when I'm working really hard...POOF. Nothing. I would lose huge chunks of time. From there the results are skewed due to the lack of HR. I've used Fitbit as well but keep going back to my Polar. It's an A300.
Old 05-08-24, 09:53 AM  
Camember

I don't know if Amazfit can be synchronised to a PC, sorry. I have synchronised it to my mobile phone.

Tags
fitness tracker