Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-24, 11:01 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Margaret's Strong & Limber for Life (Lower Body workout plus abs and cool down = 32 minutes)

I'll be chasing trash trucks with my 5 year old grandson when he gets home from school.

Beth, I hope your Dad is agreeable about moving to the assisted living place. I'm sending you big hugs!

Cyana, it's nuisance when the power goes out and it's worse for you because you work at home and need your electronics to function properly.
How wonderful that you have a weeping cherry tree! It's such a beautiful tree.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-24, 05:32 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Popping in to say a quick hello!

I’ve got a morning routine going, a mix of Essentrics, yoga, lower body resistance loop exercises, & daily long front crawl swims for upper body. The water is lovely & warm. I also signed up for a month of Callanetics, thought I’d give it a try as it’s equipment free and I love variety. I did Wake Up this morning & I really liked it.

I’m way behind on everyone’s news, but here’s a few quick shout outs…

Beth - (((Hugs))) to you and your sisters. I feel for you with your dad’s situation. It’s hard! We had to move my dad in assisted living and he was not keen. I hope it goes okay this weekend.

Sandra - Thinking of you as you countdown to your surgery day. IIRC, it’s Monday?

Waving to everyone!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-24, 08:11 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Popping in to wish Sandra good luck with the surgery. Take it easy and keep the leg moving..
I'll be following you with a reverse shoulder replacement in a few weeks.

Julia is an energetic bundle of love. She had an infection near her eye but I quickly got medicine and she's okay now. That was scary since she only has one eye.

Playing with Julia is my exercise. I lost the love for traditional exercise because of the shoulder and wrist pain so I have no check-in.

For those of you who don't eat animal protein, what do you eat to get iron? Animal protein makes me I'll because of the pancreatitis. I finally gave up animal protein and now I'm anemic. Other than some cereals where do I get iron?

Hello to everyone!!

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-24, 10:08 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for all the good wishes. The convo with my dad went okay yesterday - he wasn't upset or angry, just more resigned, which I wasn't expecting. He and my sister will visit next week, so hopefully that will improve his image of the place, since he said "I feel like I'm being institutionalized."

Pam, if you have any tips that made the transition easier for your father I'd love to hear. And hope you are having a great time on your trip.

Linda, sorry that you're having to have another surgery too.

I think this morning I'll be doing some gentle yoga since I woke up with a migraine in the middle of the night. (After I had about 1/2 of a sour beer - frustrating!)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-24, 01:28 PM  
JustSandra

Hi all!

My surgery is Monday, March 11 -- day after tomorrow. I report at 7:25 am. Am glad it is not any earlier as I'm required to finish my carb drink two hours before that time! I'll be at the surgery center about eight hours, but then get to come home. I'll have a home PT visit the next day (total of 2x/week for two weeks). I'm ready except for a few last-minute tasks tomorrow.

In the meantime I'm just going outside on short walks and doing the PT assigned to me back in December. Not in the mood to do anything else right now.

Linda: Good to hear from you! I'm happy Julia is thriving despite the scare on the eye infection. I hope your shoulder replacement surgery goes well. I'm with you in that I'm re-evaluating where I see my fitness journey going after knee joint replacement(s).

Beth: Good luck with your dad. Sounds like he is at least somewhat accepting. I agree that I think he'll be fine once he makes the transition.

Cyana: I think it is weird how some sources claim you need to have millions of dollars to enjoy a good retirement. Retirement comes in all flavors. Let us know if you decide to transition to part-time first.

Yogapam: I saw your Facebook photo of your yoga space -- it looks so lovely and serene.

Paine: Have fun chasing trash trucks!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-24, 12:24 AM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Beth - I imagine that this transition is hard for your family even when the place is nice and you are supportive of one another. (((hugs)))

Sandra - I hope that all goes well with your surgery. I’m sure you’ll be the PT’s best patient!

Cyana - I’ve had that work from home adventure too, but I’ve also had that happen at the office. At least at home I have lots of other things to do if the internet or power goes out!

There is a thread on GD about how a hacker took control of the Barlates YT channel, which was down for some time (it’s back now). What an awful thing to happen! I’m glad she was able to get her channel back quickly.

Here are my workouts since my last post:

7 Mar
AM
30’ - Rod Stryker: AM Peak Performance Yoga
PM
50’ Barlates - Barre and Floor Leg Raises + Weightless Ballet Arms

8 Mar
AM
25’ - Classical Stretch standing-floor 917
PM
40’ - Sarah Ivanhoe: Candlelight Yoga

9 Mar
25’ - Yee, Saidman AM/PM Yoga: PM

Waving to everyone!

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-24, 09:10 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Checking in from chilly MI where I am visiting my mom for a few days.

Beth I totally get how hard the convo with your father was. I hope it will be a fairly smooth transition for him and you and your sisters. My mom's was not, and in fact still not, after two years. She has declined so much physically and cognitively, but she is 94 so we can't expect a lot. It's hard because she still tells us all every day how much she hates it there. There are only 9 other residents in her 'cottage' and when I visit I have meals in the great room with them, and it is so sad. Most are at least 90 years old. 90s are hard.

Sandra, I'm so glad your surgery will soon be behind you. With your dedication to exercise, I bet you will have a smooth recovery. Will be thinking of you!

Here is my week:
M: IJI # (30 min), 6,000 steps
T: b3 signature (30 min) + walk, 8,100+ steps
W:IJI #27 Work Break (half of it-15mins), 6,200 steps
Th: 15 mins rebounding on my own, around 5,000 steps
F: travel
Sa: b3 Signature (15 min)
Su: probably just some stretching

I will be returning home on Tuesday and can't wait to get back on my rebounder.

Waves to all!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-24, 10:27 AM  
cyana

Happy Week-end. Pox on the time change. I envy our Arizonans who don't have to mess with this.

Mon:
MSTF. Punching drills. Extra neck & shoulder mobility (this week's emphasis). Spine grinds. Cubii x 30 minutes. Ankle/foot mobility. Hip mobility drill - stand on one leg, tap the opposite foot to the side x 20 and then to the rear x 20 and repeat on opposite side.
Tue:
MSTF. Punching drills. Extra shoulder/neck mobility. Bridge x 20 with 5 sec. hold at top. Sit-to-hover x 20. Single-leg balance 60 sec. each side. Wall squat x 45 seconds. Calf raises x 30/2 sets. Standing heel to toe rocks x 30 (for balance). Figure 4 prep. Cubii x 1 hour. Ankle/foot mobility.
Wed:
MSTF. Extra shoulder/neck mobility. Navasana with 60 second hold. MELT hands and feet. Wall squat x 2 minutes. Single-leg standing balance - 60 sec. each side. Cubii x 1 hour. YT - HT Physio - 10 minute upper body stretch. Stood x 45 minutes during conference call.
Thurs:
MSTF. Navasana x 45 minutes. Bridge x 20 with 5 second holds at top. Extra shoulder, neck and spine mobility work. Sit-to-hover x 30 with 3 second holds. MELT hands & feet. Wall squat x 1 minute. Figure 4 prep x 10 reps each side. Heel to toe rocks x 30.
Fri:
MSTF. Extra neck and shoulder mobility. Figure 4 prep x 10 each side. Cubii x 1 hour. Ankle/foot mobility.
Sat:
MSTF. Extra neck and shoulder mobility. Figure 4 prep x 10 each side. YT - TBP (Team Body Project) - Fun 15 minute low impact/resistance - this is the Superstition (Stevie Wonder) work-out that I've done a million times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNAOIXhNRJs YT - YoQi - seated qigong for relaxation and balance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdn_k6nCtwk YT Bhakti Yoga - 15 minute Pranayama Practice & Deep Breathing - Exercises You Should Do Daily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoDKbXEUrvQ Cubii x 30 minutes. Ankle/foot mobility.
Sun:
MSTF. Extra neck and shoulder mobility. Figure 4 prep x 10 each side.
YT - TBP - Upper Body Resistance Work-out for All Levels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY8jENkQpDQ . YT - Mindful Yoga with YogiBethC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJTURYACEc .

Back for a chat in a minute. Need a fresh cup of coffee.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-24, 11:06 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Gale, I know you have really struggled with you mom; thanks for sharing your own story. (((hugs))) My dad has done really well going to the local senior center most days, which makes us more optimistic that he will transition to AL eventually. He has always done well with more people around - in fact, if he was talking to you in a group and was engaged, you might not notice his dementia at all. In some ways that makes it more challenging - i.e., some days he comes across as perfectly fine, which makes me question whether we are doing the right think. But we I have to remember that we have plenty of other data to the contrary. Bottom line, he can't live alone and really can't be left alone for more than a few hours, which means it's not feasible for him to keep living at my sister's house, and this is the best option. (I just accidently typed "beast option" - maybe that is more accurate!)

Thanks Colleen. I've said before that I am very thankful my sisters and I are going through this together and supporting each other.
I heard about that Barlates hacker on the Pilates checkin. It sounds like Linda may have been able to sort it out.

cyana, nice that you did one of my videos! Since I have some time off this week, I might try to do another, although I'm not sure if I have any inspiration right now. Maybe I can come up with another offering for my lunchtime series.

Sandra, I can't believe your surgery is tomorrow! Sounds like you are as prepared as you can be. Will someone take you/pick you up from the procedure? You know we are all rooting for you here!

Okay, have to get moving - the DST transition has set things back today.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-24, 11:47 AM  
Vantreesta

Sandra, wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and recovery!

Beth, thinking of you and your family as your dad adjusts to assisted living. That's such a hard decision to make but sometimes it becomes the only viable option. My MIL was in one for two years and it was so hard to accept and watch.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote