Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-21, 12:48 PM  
Sophia

I did Phase 1 workouts 3 & 4 with the cardio workout for 3 months straight several years ago. I lost 10 pounds. I'm trying to do that again but have to work my way back up to that level.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 12:59 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I did Phase 1 workouts 3 & 4 with the cardio workout for 3 months straight several years ago. I lost 10 pounds. I'm trying to do that again but have to work my way back up to that level.
Good job, Sophia! I actually inadvertently prepped myself well for starting Body Revolution by essentially doing a mini-JM rotation of some of her other videos for a few weeks before jumping in. You also might find that workouts 1 and 2 of Phase 1 are actually good prep before getting into 3 and 4.
Old 06-19-21, 01:10 PM  
Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Good job, Sophia! I actually inadvertently prepped myself well for starting Body Revolution by essentially doing a mini-JM rotation of some of her other videos for a few weeks before jumping in. You also might find that workouts 1 and 2 of Phase 1 are actually good prep before getting into 3 and 4.
Those are the ones I'm doing. When I stop gasping for air, I'll move on to 3 & 4 again.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-21, 05:54 AM  
Helen

Sunday
Phase 1 - Week 1 - Workout 2 DONE
Still in comfort zone, though keeping to basic versions since they're virginal.

Also done today: Cathe - Cross Train Express - All Step, incl. shoulders & abs
Also done today: 90min dog walk & was caught in the rain, not fun when it's so cold.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-21, 11:06 AM  
kat999

Great job, Helen and Sophia!

I'm back to Workout 2, which I have come to like a lot more than Workout 1 for some reason. Today I burned 237 calories doing it, which is a record, and although my HR did go all the way up to 181, it was apparently only for a second, and that was with trying to check my HR between each circuit and even during exercises as much as I could. I suspect that it has to do with how much Jillian has you going from lying down to standing up all of a sudden. I think it's probably spiking in those moments, and every time I get a high HR reading, it's always toward the end of the workout after I've been at a pretty high rate for a sustained amount of time. The average HR is only 153 today, yesterday was 142, and looking back at every time I've done a BR workout, the average is in a totally safe/normal intense exercise zone for me, so I'm not going to stress about this high spikes too too much and just work at a level that feels intense but not uncomfortable.

Now, given my concern with the high HR reading yesterday, I did back off from the advanced modifications today for the most part, only using optional weights on some moves that are extremely easy for me, like crunches and good mornings, and even using lighter weights for a few easier moves on their second run-throughs (e.g., I even went down to 2 lbs. for dumbbells just to put myself into more of a recovery zone for a minute).

Results: I took the day off from weigh-ins today, but my BP is still low, my resting and sleeping HR is still lower than it used to be, and a pair of slightly snug jeans felt slightly LESS snug yesterday.
Old 06-21-21, 10:57 AM  
kat999

Happy Monday! I'm back to Cardio 1 today (I'm getting kind of sick of this one, tbh, and am not relishing having to do it like 8 more times or whatever ). This time I added on an extra four minutes of jogging in place to get it to 30 minutes, since it's technically only 26. As a result, I burned 192 calories, which is this workout's record, even though I modified down in intensity/impact a little bit, partially to watch my HR and partially out of boredom now that I've done this one 4 times this month. Glad I don't have to visit it again until Thursday!

HR max was only 167, so that's good (my absolute max I want to stay under is 174).

Results: my weight finally budged again, and I have now lost a total of 4.4 lbs. I'm basically losing approximately 2 lbs./week, and I'm on track to hit my goal by early October, when I'll probably be deep into BodyShred. Even though this is a big loss since the weekend, I'm not noticing any new visual differences. I think my stamina is better, and my blood pressure remains pretty good. It's clear to me that it's a combination of my diligent d*et and the way Body Revolution is structured, plus my habit of doing it as early in the morning as I can to encourage a post-workout burn for more hours per day. I think that seems to be the magic combination.
Old 06-22-21, 09:51 AM  
kat999

Back to Workout 1 today, and it's my LAST TIME FOR THIS ONE! Hooray! I am getting super sick of it. This time I burned the least amount of calories I ever have during the whole system, and in fact my Apple Watch only gave me credit for 28 minutes of exercise, even though the workout is 32 minutes long. My HR didn't go above 140. I even modified UP, so what this indicates to me is that I'm probably making some really good fitness improvements and am very ready to move on to the second half of Phase 1. I think, too, I'm going to try an active recovery workout on Friday's rest day because of this.

Results: my weight popped back up a tiny bit this morning, but again, all other good physical results (low BP, great sleep, great mood, lower resting HR, etc.). Based on how I tend to go with weight fluctuations during the week, I think it'll float back down tomorrow.
Old 06-23-21, 10:02 AM  
kat999

Last time through Workout 2! I burned 178 calories (my lowest for this workout, which to me indicates I'm really ready to move on to the next half of this phase), my HR stayed under 158, and the average was 129. I did the harder variation of some of the moves on some sets, I watched my HR, and everything just felt fluid, natural, and easy.

Results: my weight went back way down today after an uptick yesterday. I've now officially lost 5 full pounds. Now, remember, I started a new food plan the week before I began BR, so that's not ALL down to BR, but BR is definitely helping (and I was doing a loose Jillian rotation starting at the beginning of June). Other good physical effects are still in place. My blood pressure was FANTASTIC this morning, for example.

Feeling great! The one thing I'm dreading is doing YET ANOTHER round of Cardio 1 tomorrow (booooooo). I will figure out a way to make it bearable, haha.
Old 06-24-21, 11:07 AM  
kat999

Today was supposed to be Cardio 1 again, and I just couldn't face it, so I swapped in Level 1 of Jillian's Six Week Six Pack video, and it was a great break. Still 30 minutes, still included a lot of cardio, I didn't use weights in order to not further overtax my muscles, subbed in a lot of jogging in place for moves that were a little more muscle-based, and it was a great time. I will probably still do Cardio 1 a bit next week, but if I have too much dread, I'm just going to do this swap with another cardio-focused Jillian workout.

Results: Today I lost another .2 lbs., so I'm down 5.2 since June 7th. Feeling great! My husband said he could see a little slimming down in the core area, even though I'm not seeing a super ton of visual results myself yet.

Other notes: On some days I'm adding in a 30- to 60-minute walk around my neighborhood, and I may do that in lieu of a full rest day tomorrow.
Old 06-24-21, 11:13 AM  
Vantreesta

I'm gonna try adding this in with my other workouts like Helen is doing but will only go for three days a week. So it will be like half of each week to suit my schedule better and so I don't do the workouts so many times! Yesterday I did workout 1. Went waaaaay too light but couldn't remember the workout and had also already done my kettlebell workouts.

Good call subbing another Jilliam workout for the cardio 1, kat. I may actually do that too. Do each BR cardio once then sub other Jillian cardio. I have almost all her workouts (maybe all?) but have never done most of them. Story of my life!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body revolution, body shred, check-in, jillian, jillian michaels