Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-26-21, 10:05 PM  
DCW

Looking at some of the family objects, I am thinking that some millennial relatives may want something owned by their great grandparents. I can ask and make sure that I offered it to them before donating.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-21, 08:37 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I finished reading the book recommended lreidgreen and it was full of good insight! Especially when trying to think through to the obstacle leading to the clutter.

I appreciated her guidance on decluttering after death or divorce as well.
Yes I thought the book was very helpful. I had to return it to the library but might borrow it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
vintage vfer - I have a few items that I didn't want to keep but wanted to remember whatever was significant about it. Taking pictures of those items seems to work for me. I was sent many items of my father's and haven't had the time or energy to work through it all - eventually.
I was going to suggest this too.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-21, 08:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I got a new roof put on the end of last week. The company told me I can have the dumpster for a few extra days, so I spent all weekend purging stuff! I got rid of so much. It felt so good to clear out things. Apparently they cannot get the dumpster until tomorrow, so I am going to do another look through the house to see if I have anything else.
That's great Sherry! I can relate- I was weirdly euphoric when I had a dumpster at my house during our remodel this summer. I am supposed to get new siding installed and am hoping that they will bring a dumpster so I can get rid of more stuff. This should have happened in October but the materials haven't been available due to supply chain problems. The same company installed some replacement windows in September and they didn't have the screens because of supply issues. They said Anderson didn't send them the screens but that I will get them eventually. They better be here by the spring.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-21, 09:24 AM  
Izzy

I made two trips to Goodwill in October. I am getting ready to do my fall/winter clothes switch so I will create a bag then as well.

I have some pictures of relatives my mom left for us. I hope they have names on the back of them because I have no clue who they are.

When I do Christmas decorations later in November I will do another purge in the basement. But between now and then my free time will be consumed with raking.

Keep up the good work folks.
Old 11-02-21, 09:28 PM  
DCW

Everyone keep up the good work and making progress.

I decided to fix the next day's dinner either the night before, chicken salad for tomorrow or fix something quick mid morning for dinner, chili today. It is making dinner easier and the kitchen less messy at the end of a work day.

I am getting the junk mail under control too by standing by the recycling bin when I open the mail.
Old 11-03-21, 05:49 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
... I am getting the junk mail under control too by standing by the recycling bin when I open the mail.
I've also got a shredder nearby, if I feel I need to use it. Very handy having such easy access before the paper gets added to the clutter.
Old 11-05-21, 05:24 PM  
DCW

Our county government has worked with nonprofit organizations and started having shredding events and bulk trash too. I guess they have figured out more folks are cleaning out the junk in their homes! LOL!!
Old 11-05-21, 06:10 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I'm swapping summer for winter clothes. I've been pretty successful and pulling things for the thrift store and a thredup bag.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-21, 10:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I got a new roof put on the end of last week. The company told me I can have the dumpster for a few extra days, so I spent all weekend purging stuff! I got rid of so much. It felt so good to clear out things. Apparently they cannot get the dumpster until tomorrow, so I am going to do another look through the house to see if I have anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
That's great Sherry! I can relate- I was weirdly euphoric when I had a dumpster at my house during our remodel this summer.
dumpster - i would get excited too!

things that left the house:
great condition rattan loveseat - older sister wanted it.
still working computer monitor - donated it to an e-waste drive today!
old air conditioner that got replaced - took it to a refuse lot that collects all kinds of refuse, including items that have freon in it.

i burned some paper with confidential stuff printed on it in the barbecue. i have a shredder, but my shredder gets hot and shuts down when there's too many papers shredded in a row.

oh, i meant to update everyone. i filed my paperwork to retire so that i could collect my pension! i accepted another position in a totally different industry - a company that owns 14 skilled nursing facilities across the state. it was a huge mental shift. i'm really scared but excited at the same time. i discovered how many benefits my current company gives its employees and compared to other companies, i was spoiled here. for example, my current company heavily subsidizes the medical insurance premiums. but it was time for me to move on to something different - i'll be coming out "ahead" financially by collecting my pension and accepting this new position.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-21, 01:58 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Loved that article!

This quote rings true to me: "Start making better purchasing choices and you’ll save both the planet and your wallet."
Anna, I thought that was a great quote too.

Sherry Great score on the dumpster being available for a few days! Every declutterers dream.

Can anyone instruct me on the trick to be able to add multiple quotes to a reply post? I've never figured out how to do more than one. Thanks!

I've been busy gathering for the thrift shop. I decided to include some vintage x country skis and poles. I no longer live in an area that has some good trails and I've kind of moved on anyway. They are in good condition so hopefully someone will want them. It's nice to get something cleared out that is larger than what I normally send. I'm still getting a box topped off with smaller things like books and some clothing.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter