Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-24, 05:06 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
Hi,
Obesity is a real problem and it has grown as a problem in the last 40 years (I have been a nurse since 1986 and the difference in the patient population is very apparent).

It is not fake. Obesity contributes to many conditions that lead to compromised health and death.

Also, I think your statement about fatphobia/white supremecy may be why people may be reluctant to contribute to this thread. Probably best to save that type of statement for a different type of forum. JMHO.

Please read this post imagining me having a very kind and civil tone, because that it is the spirt of this post. Thanks!
I am exhausted from my day today and I don't think I have the energy right now to respond as fully as I would like.

I have to disagree with you. Lots of things contribute to poor health besides weight and they contribute more strongly than weight ever will. The medical field are the worst offenders when it comes to inclusive health care. Fat people are not given the same level of care as thin people. They are immediately told to lose weight instead of having their health concerns addressed. Fat people have died because doctors and nurses don't take the time to address their actual health issues. In fact, a large majority of fat people don't even go to the doctor regularly due to this horrible, fatphobic treatment. It is attitudes like yours that contribute to the situation. You are part of the problem.

Second, the origins of fat phobia are rooted in white supremacy. That is a fact. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable. That says more about you than my statement.

In fact, just speaking of the inclusivity of fitness spaces alone.....they are predominantly white, cis, and thin. What is the ratio of black instructors in exercise dvd to white instructors? You may have a black backgrounder in a video and they are usually in the back row off to the side where they are hardly ever in the camera. The fitness space has not been welcoming to brown bodies, queer bodies, fat bodies, bodies that are physically challenged, and old bodies. That is also a fact. Sad but true. We can put our heads in the sand but it won't change the truth of the matter.
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Old 03-24-24, 05:20 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I would not mind messaging about obesity IF government / society / business took some responsibility for it. For now, the messaging is that it is the individual's fault - whether lack of discipline, laziness, bad habits, etc. etc. But in actuality, the ability to move - throughout the day - has been engineered out of our life now. Many jobs are completely sedentary. Commutes are long. Schools don't offer Physical Ed anymore and kids are bussed, rather than having the ability to walk to school. Neighborhoods do not have sidewalks, and, like mine, are not safe. All of our household tasks have been made "easier" by machines and technology.

I also believe our bodies crave a certain level of nutrition, including vitamins and minerals. We will eat until our bodies get what it needs. Unfortunately, with today's foodstuffs, that means we are also getting a lot of junk calories we don't need. Coupled with lack of movement throughout the day, we gain weight.

-Neita
I mind the messaging about obesity. The constant onslaught of people judging your body and health habits is obnoxious. It's nobody's business! You don't know someone's trauma, someone's stress level, someone's health problems, someone access to health care, nutrition, or fitness resources or someone's genetics. Being in a fat body does not mean someone has failed. Failed at what? Existing? It does not always mean they are not active. It does not always mean that they are not fit. It does not always mean that they overeat. Even if all that was true, it's nobody's business to judge and shame another person and make them feel like absolute trash. Some bodies are just fat. Being fat is not a problem. Society makes it a problem. We don't say being short is bad and try to force people to be tall. We would just accept that short people exist and treat them with respect. People have no problem admitting that their thin friend can eat 2 bags of chips and never gain weight due to their fast metabolism. But, heaven forbid the opposite is true and people can barely eat and still be fat due to their slow metabolism. I think more people are realizing that if they need to restrict their food intake to maintain a certain body size than their body was never meant to be that size.
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Old 03-24-24, 05:27 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Judgment about looks also affects thin people. My dd has always been thin, but was a late developer with no bust. You’re supposed to be thin and have big boobs. I had a similar issue when young, being small busted means there is something wrong with you.

Sadly, they sometimes get a lot of judgment, and a lack of compassion, for their health issues from their health providers.
It is true that thin people get judged too and it is unfortunate. But thin privilege is a real thing. I've been everywhere from underweight to obese due to my disordered eating throughout the years and my own experience has always been that I'm treated much better by the world when I'm thin or too thin vs. being in a larger body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
The medical field are the worst offenders when it comes to inclusive health care. Fat people are not given the same level of care as thin people. They are immediately told to lose weight instead of having their health concerns addressed. Fat people have died because doctors and nurses don't take the time to address their actual health issues. In fact, a large majority of fat people don't even go to the doctor regularly due to this horrible, fatphobic treatment.
This is so true and very sad and scary.

For me, I had a lot of serious health issues and injuries in the past 7 years. Up until recently, I was very thin - actually underweight. I was always always aware of how much better I was treated because I wasn't heavy and how I was taken seriously and my issues were never blamed on my weight. I've gained quite a bit of weight in the past 18 months or so due to physical issues, surgery recovery, meds, depression, etc. and now I get anxious every time I need to see the doctor because I worry that my weight will be brought up or blamed for my problems. There is no doubt in my mind that the issues I had when I was thinner would have been blamed on weight if I had been heavier at the time.

Hope this makes sense.

Erica
Old 03-24-24, 06:00 PM  
wendug

I'm not surprised that some gyms will start selling weight loss meds- most likely at the chain gyms that are all about the bottom line. I don't see more specialized gyms getting involved with it though. I'm trying to imagine cross-fit gyms selling weight loss drugs and I just don't see it.

I had forgotten about phen phen. I had a friend who was on it and she was so angry that it was taken off the market. She was willing to do anything to be thin. But that was back in the 90s with the Kate Moss "heroin chic" look all the rage. I hope we don't go back to that look being popular as most people don't have the genetics to look like that.
Old 03-24-24, 06:33 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Quote:
I am exhausted from my day today and I don't think I have the energy right now to respond as fully as I would like.

I have to disagree with you. Lots of things contribute to poor health besides weight and they contribute more strongly than weight ever will. The medical field are the worst offenders when it comes to inclusive health care. Fat people are not given the same level of care as thin people. They are immediately told to lose weight instead of having their health concerns addressed. Fat people have died because doctors and nurses don't take the time to address their actual health issues. In fact, a large majority of fat people don't even go to the doctor regularly due to this horrible, fatphobic treatment. It is attitudes like yours that contribute to the situation. You are part of the problem.

Second, the origins of fat phobia are rooted in white supremacy. That is a fact. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable. That says more about you than my statement.

In fact, just speaking of the inclusivity of fitness spaces alone.....they are predominantly white, cis, and thin. What is the ratio of black instructors in exercise dvd to white instructors? You may have a black backgrounder in a video and they are usually in the back row off to the side where they are hardly ever in the camera. The fitness space has not been welcoming to brown bodies, queer bodies, fat bodies, bodies that are physically challenged, and old bodies. That is also a fact. Sad but true. We can put our heads in the sand but it won't change the truth of the matter.

Hi again,
No need to respond, as this really isn't a discussion where two parties are exchanging ideas.

I will say with just as much conviction as you that the science does back the fact that obesity contributes to poor health outcomes (no matter your race, sex, or gender).

I am not defending conventional medicine. I am very much a believer that much of modern medicine and pharmaceutical companies do more harm than good. I think ultra-processed food, and the over prescription of medications in the US are poison and contribute to the our health care problem (obesity included). I think most chronic conditions can be healed with better eating patterns, more walking/exercise, more sunshine, and more social connections.

I would appreciate it if we could stick to talking about the topic instead of insinuating that my suggestion to keep racially charged/politically sweeping statements out of discussions on this forum makes me uncomfortable and somehow "Says more about me"...whatever that might mean??

From one short post you surmised "it is attitudes like yours that contribute to the situation. You are part of the problem".

It is unfortunate that your "Please post away!!!!" statement was only meant for people who would cheer your position. I am surprised and sad that someone who cares so much about inclusion would so readily assign motive and jump to conclusions about me given my short post because we disagree.

Extending grace and understanding to others during a discussion is probably much less exhausting than insisting you are 100% right and trying to insult those who disagree with you into submission.

Again, even though I found your post upsetting, I hope you are able to read this post and hear the civility with which I am writing.
Old 03-24-24, 06:41 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

You are trying to make me for bad for standing up for myself and others? Yes, you can continue to post away and showcase your bigoted and ignorant attitude. Feel free!!!! So, inclusion is about accepting fatphobic, racist, sexist, etc views? Hmmmm. I think not. You have clearly mistaken the meaning of inclusion. And....Yes, I think not discriminating against others would be being 100% right. I hope you are able to read your posts and see how hurtful and triggering they are to others. I don't apologize for saying people should stop discriminating against fat bodies (brown bodies, queer bodies, physically challenged bodies, etc) and show them kindness and respect. I'm sorry you disagree with these statements.
Old 03-24-24, 07:01 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Quote:
You are trying to make me for bad for standing up for myself and others? Yes, you can continue to post away and showcase your bigoted and ignorant attitude. Feel free!!!! So, inclusion is about accepting fatphobic, racist, sexist, etc views? Hmmmm. I think not. You have clearly mistaken the meaning of inclusion. And....Yes, I think not discriminating against others would be being 100% right. I hope you are able to read your posts and see how hurtful and triggering they are to others. I don't apologize for saying people should stop discriminating against fat bodies (brown bodies, queer bodies, physically challenged bodies, etc) and show them kindness and respect. I'm sorry you disagree with these statements.
Gemini-
You are out of bounds with your accusations. I am challenging your statements around obesity being fake. You are wrong to assume I disagree with your other statements.

Sad that a discussion this unbalanced is part of a VF discussion. I hope you can self-examine and figure out why you would lash out and make up your own story about me just because I disagree with you on a point that warrants discussion.

I am still typing with a civil attitude, but I am left wondering if you treat people this poorly in real life or just online. I will just assume you are deeply hurting inside and insecure. That is the only thing that would explain the things you wrote here.
Old 03-24-24, 07:52 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

FrostyJan- I am being quite civil! If you care to check out The Obesity Myth by Paul Campos you will find all of the “obesity” studies shown for what they really are which is simply headline grabbing garbage. The author of the book is an attorney and law professor who decided to research all of the so called obesity studies. He did a deep dive into the literature and all of his work is cited and empirically based. It’s a good read if you are interested. Unfortunately, we will have to agree to disagree. Have a good night!
Closed Thread

Tags
body image, gym, gyms, obesity