Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which TLT workout provides the most advanced & traditional exercises?
Endurance for Movement (Tracie Long) 14 19.72%
Strength in Movement (Jen Carmen) 13 18.31%
Better Burn... Better Buns (Tracie Long) 3 4.23%
Finding Your Core (Susan Harris) 6 8.45%
I don't think any of these workouts really fit the bill 35 49.30%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-06, 01:12 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Talking If you could only buy ONE TLT and you wanted an advanced traditional workout...

which one would you buy?

I'm posting a poll here like the one posted at YaYa's to see which TLT workout provides the most advanced traditional workout...

I'm one of those folks that doesn't reach for their functional fitness workouts very often, so the most challenging one with a majority of traditional moves will get more use.

ETA: Thanks to all for your replies so far! I guess by traditional exercises I mean moves found in Cathe or FIRM workouts. For example I like Tracie's Core Cardio because it's mostly innovative cardio moves. I don't do her Yorktown Core Strength very often because it's too much esoteric exercises - using the same weight for a back move that you use for a tricep move doesn't feel as effective to me.

I found the 'functional fitness' exercises in Kathy Smith's LWTLW2 to be subtle and uncomfortable. Doing a bicep curl while standing on one leg and twisting to one side seemed non-intuitive.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-12-06, 01:44 PM  
Messe

I don't think any of the TLTs are traditional workouts (and I'm glad they're not ).

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 02:58 PM  
Carouge

I agree with Martha. I haven't received my TLTs yet (ordered through CK Sales), but I have all the TLPs and the Yorktowns and while they are all advanced workouts, none of them contains traditional weight lifting or cardio moves. Judging from the reviews and the clips, I'd say that applies to the TLTs too.

Fran
Carouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 07:17 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

The workouts are advanced but not in any way traditional. I love traditional weight training like Cathe and The FIRM, but they don't hit the same spots as these workouts.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-06, 08:23 AM  
Carol_is_fit

I agree - they are not "traditional". They were not designed to be that way.

Carol
Old 01-28-06, 05:33 PM  
firmaholic

If you are looking for an advance "traditional" workout, I would look somewhere else.
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 02:55 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I would say that Strength in Movement is probably the one that uses the heaviest weights. It's not traditional but you'll certainly recognize some traditional dumbell moves for the upper body in it. It doesn't have much weighted work for the lower body. Instead you do a lot of one legged squats and lunge backs. Your glutes especially get lots of attention in these workouts. The ab work does have some tradtional crunches etc. but it's mostly plank variations.
Old 02-01-06, 05:13 PM  
Hazel Porter

I was going to nominate SIM also, but now that I see that you didn't care for Core Strength, I'm not sure even this one will fit the bill for you. I see a lot of similarities in the layout of CS and SIM. If you'd like to borrow SIM for a bit to check it out, shoot me an email and I'll send it to you for a preview.
Old 02-01-06, 09:04 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Thanks for the SIM suggestions...

Hazel,

Thanks for the offer, so very kind! But for now it's taking me a while to get to the workouts I have. Several VFers have loaned me Finding Your Core (thanks Diane!) and Strength in Movement (thanks Kimberly!). And I haven't gotten to SIM yet...

I did try FYC and it was OK but definitely was NOT a core workout, which I was really hoping for.

I'll post back - I've definitely been preoccupied with training at my new job!

Thanks for the sweet thought

How's baby #3 coming along?
Old 03-10-06, 02:18 PM  
DRD0

[QUOTE=DawnP]Hazel,

Thanks for the offer, so very kind! But for now it's taking me a while to get to the workouts I have. Several VFers have loaned me Finding Your Core (thanks Diane!) and Strength in Movement (thanks Kimberly!). And I haven't gotten to SIM yet...

I did try FYC and it was OK but definitely was NOT a core workout, which I was really hoping for.

I'll post back - I've definitely been preoccupied with training at my new job!

Thanks for the sweet thought

I have done all 4 now, SIM and EIM twice. I would say SIm is the closest to what you are looking for, but none fit the bill. I also do not consider these advanced work-outs, but a nice lighter day. I have been doing them exclusively the past 10-15 days to learn them, but will be rotating heavy traditional weight work so I don't lose the nice muscle base I have achieved with traditional work. I like the balance work, and think it is needed, especially as we age. I find Cathe's Core Max to be a much more thorough Core work-out(and yes I am doing these exercises properly), although found doing these and then doing core max the next day, I felt core max much more thoroughly so know these are working the core.(BTW, I don't find Core Max real hard either) This is my first foray into "functional fitness" stuff but find that I must be doing something right in my life, because these are not that hard. Perhaps the swimming I do has prepared me for them. I also think these work-outs are going to "grow" on me the more I do them.

However, I am a traditional weight lifter queen, I know this, I won't change, because it is what I enjoy, so that obviously has colored my feelings about these.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote