Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-05, 03:50 PM  
Christine S.
VF Supporter

Talking The joy of introducing my mom to Vidiocy

I have had Leslie Sansone's 3 Mile Power Walk / Power Firm for a while now; I bought it for $9.97 at Wal-Mart just because it was such a good buy. I haven't used it much; I tend to favor more intense things.

Well, my parents are both avid walkers, and the weather has been so bitterly cold here in New England this week that my Mom was complaining she couldn't get out for her walk (my Dad, I think, is part polar bear: he'll go for his walk no matter what it's doing outside ). She was feeling tired and grouchy because she was missing her only form of daily exercise.

Well, I gave her my Leslie DVD to use in her house on those cold days and she has been loving it! She says that while she has been happy walking a mile a day, Leslie makes her want to progress to go further.

It sounds silly but I feel so great about having helped my mom overcome a fitness obstacle (the weather), plus set a new fitness goal. Obviously, I am glad she's made a commitment to any exercise at all; it'll keep her healthy and make her stronger and more fit. She is a beautiful, vibrant, young 63 years old and it makes me so happy to see her enjoy fitness and exercise.
Old 01-19-05, 04:23 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

That's great!
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 04:38 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Cool! (no pun intended)
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 04:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i am about to convert my mom - she's an Avon lady and i asked her to buy the Leslie DVD from their catalog.

she stopped using the treadmill i got her a few years ago, so this might just be the ticket. she knows i workout regularly and values my opinion.

i myself just recently got into Leslie and like using them as add-on's.

thanks for sharing this story - it gives me encouragement.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 04:56 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

A couple of years ago, my mom was frustrated because she didn't regularly walk with my dad (who loves walking as his exercise) and she wanted to do something. So, I introduced her to Leslie, Gilad, and Gay Gaspar in the Dummies series and she began exercising regularly. I signed her up for the Collage catalog and we have consulted on the phone, each with our catalog on our end, talking about what she might want next. After that amount of time, it seems to have "taken" and it's now a regular part of her life. Recently, she had foot surgery and she was afraid she would lose all her progress, so I got her some chair-bound exercise tapes. She's just now getting to where she can try them and I'm waiting to hear how she likes them.

It is a really great experience to convert your mom to vidiocy. And, it gives me someone who understands where I'm coming from, even though we use totally different tapes and exercise at different intensity levels.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 04:59 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I gave Leslie WATP 1,2, 3 miles to MIL and FIL. They used to walk in the mall, but they moved recently and going to the nearest mall is not as convinient. I'm giving them an alternative... something to try. FIL already said he's NOT doing it. MIL will give it a try (haven't yet, it's been 2 weeks). I also gave them K. Voight Sleek Physique and Prevention Walk Your Way Slim. I'm crossing my fingers, but I'm not holding my breath...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 05:36 PM  
Joe

Christine, great job! And beautiful pic also!

I have a friend that walks every day no matter what the weather is like. When we had high temps in the -5 range with windchill of -30 last week she was still out going for her hour walk. Rain or shine, hot or colder than cold, she goes.

So does another aquaintance of mine, Doug. He's in his late 50's. It doesn't matter what the temperature is, he's out walking for an hr a day.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 05:48 PM  
KathyW
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine S.
Well, my parents are both avid walkers, and the weather has been so bitterly cold here in New England this week that my Mom was complaining she couldn't get out for her walk (my Dad, I think, is part polar bear: he'll go for his walk no matter what it's doing outside ).
That's wonderul, Christine!

I just have to bow down to your father. I'm in Boston, and I've had to *drag* myself outside even to walk my dogs this week! And that's really not optional, since otherwise I'll spend the day cleaning up my carpet! Anyway, kudos to both of them for figuring out what exercise works for them in this weather.

Kathy
KathyW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
over 50