Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-05, 03:57 PM  
chiro_ange

weights without cardio guilt?

maybe it is just me but i always feel guilty when i dont add a cardio session on to my weight workouts. for example, i did cathe's CTX Leaner Legs and an abbreviated version of CTX upper split for a total workout of about 70 minutes this morning and yet i felt incomplete or something, bc i didnt do any cardio. does anyone else feel this way or have you in the past and how did you get over it? i used to be a cardio junkie until last summer when i started to incorporate at least 2 full body weight workouts per week....but i STILL feel bad if i dont do some cardio on the weight days. any words of wisdom or advice?
chiro_ange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 04:08 PM  
Dawn3

Yes, I totally am in your position. I don't feel like I'm burning fat otherwise. Another thing I do is if I have a cardio workout I always feel like I need to add an ab workout.
Dawn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 04:44 PM  
Jennie

I used to fill guilty about not doing enough cardio either. (I hate cardio!) What helped me was to understand how many calories I actually burned during a cardio session in comparison to the caloric content in the foods I ate.

For example, I just ate a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup (YUM!). It has 240 calories. My hour on the threadmill this morning burned about 200 calories. It's much easier to just not eat the candy bar. (sorry if this is veering into a discussion of the "d" word).

What I'm getting at is that weight loss is almost all diet so cardio doesn't make enough difference to feel guilty about, IMHO.

For the record, I know cardio is important for more than just weight loss.
Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 05:06 PM  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie
For example, I just ate a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup (YUM!). It has 240 calories. My hour on the threadmill this morning burned about 200 calories. It's much easier to just not eat the candy bar. (sorry if this is veering into a discussion of the "d" word).
How big was your Reese's? Yikes! That's a lot of calories. But cutting candy out of my diet and taking into account the calories in it, could explain the weight loss in the past 2 months without the exercise.

Now back to the topic at hand. I have always done some sort of cardio along with my weight training but not very much. I don't feel the need to do more than 10-15 minutes of cardio when my main focus is weight training at the time. And for me, the aerobics is more of a warm up and cool down during this time.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 06:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm not crazy about cardio myself, but what helps me is setting a weekly goal. Right now my goal is 120 minutes per week (I tried 200 minutes per week and actually gained weight, but of course, YMMV). So if I do two 60-minute cardio sessions early in the week, I can forgo cardio the entire rest of the week completely guilt-free! Sometimes I wind up going over--I've been doing short "spark" rides on my recumbent bike on some evenings--but 120 mintues is the minimum. Works for me!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 07:07 PM  
renee mcfar

I am so in your shoes. I tried to convince myself to do Cathe's Muscle Endurance this afternoon when I got off work. That way I could do it again Thursday and not have to do a weight workout Saturday. Alas, I could not make myself leave out my cardio. So, I did Christi's Totally Cool Step instead.

I am off tomorrow and Thursday. So, I will do cardio and Cathe's PUB tomorrow. Thursday will be cardio and Cathe's PLB. Saturday will be cardio and Muscle Endurance.

I am a cardio junkie! Beyond help! I will only stop when I have my knee replacements done. No time soon. The ole knees probably ahve another 15-20 yrs left. I hope!
renee mcfar is offline   Reply With Quote