Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-05, 01:44 PM  
PamelaP

Official 2005 Beauty Tips Thread

It's that time again. Here are links to the previous years' threads if anyone wants to reference them:

2004 - http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread.php?t=61352
2003 - http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread.php?t=39518
2002 - http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread.php?t=2203

My first tip of the new year is to avoid Natural Instincts hair color in the Cinnaberry shade. It's supposed to be a medium auburn but, on me anyway, came out as a really unnatural tone of reddish purple that I hate and will be redoing very soon. That's what I get for being too adventurous...hee hee.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 04:05 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Yay!

I love these threads!

My favorite tip - do your eye makeup first. Then you'll be able to sweep away any shadow flakes from underneath your eyes without ruining your foundation. You'll also avoid having little spots of color appear on your face throughout the day.

Favorite products

Maybelline Smooth Result Foundation (best foundation for dry skin)
Revlon Moisturous Lipsticks
Revlon Super Lustrous lip gloss
CocoCare Coco Butter Lip Balm (Walgreens) My HG lip balm
Avon Perfect Care Eye Cream SPF 15
Avon Anew Retroactive Eye Serum
Eucerin Gentle Hydrating Cleanser
Eucerin Sensitive Skin cream with Q10 (at night)
Avon Multi-Boost Daily Vitamin Moisturizing Cream SPF 15
Principal Secret Advanced Gentle Enzyme Treatment
Garnier 100% Color (hair color)

I have dry skin and I've been on a lifelong battle to destroy any signs of aging.
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 06:12 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

This past year has hooked me on Bobbi Brown makeup. I love the kits that have eyeshadows, blush and lip colors in one small compact.

The other thing I've become recently hooked on is stick makeup (they look like crayons)---I use Bobbi Brown's: foundation stick, blush stick, eye shadow sticks (I love the lavender, peach and chocolate colors!!), and the small moisturizing lipsticks and the lip shimmers.

I recently tried Bobbi Brown's Everything mascara and like it a lot! It makes the lashes look very long and thick, and it doesn't clump or flake off.

With the makeup sticks, it takes less than 5 minutes to put everything on!

This year, I've purchased 2 of all my makeup and keep one set home and one set in my bag (you never know when you might need it ).

This year, my favorite fragrance is Ralph Lauren Blue.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 06:15 PM  
boakley
VF Supporter

My First Post to A Beauty Tips Thread!

I FINALLY found a foundation that I like and can afford It's Maybelline Purestay powder foundation. This is the only time in my life (I'm 33) that I've worn foundation for more than a week without tossing it away. I love the coverage, how easy it goes on, and how it feels - like nothing

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 06:29 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

My 2nd favorite hobby!

I'm also a skincare junkie and I don't skimp on treating my skin well. My two favorite lines of skincare are Evan's Garden and Rosa y Fruta. Both are natural lines, expensive but worth it, and have just made wonderful improvements to my ageing skin. I also use Evan's mineral makeup which is very light.

After trying, I swear, every line available, I've stuck with these two lines for over 2 years. Believe me, that's saying something for this junkie.

Also, I have incredibly sensitive skin. After buying expensive fru-fru stuff for my skin, the most soothing, non-greasy, body line I have found is Vanicream - lotion, sunscreen, and soap. There are no additives, no smell, no oily feel. Not sure what's in it, but it's a cheap way to keep my bod soothed while I pamper my face. I order it from my local chain drugstore.

Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 06:29 PM  
gettingstrong

I just want to say how much I enjoy this thread and have found some great products because of it. I would like a suggestion for a sunscreen for my 11 y/o dd's face. She has a beautiful complexion, is fair and occasionally has some acne. I want the sunscreen mainly for her face - to apply every morning. I want her to keep that beautiful complexion! My experience has not been good with sunscreen on my face - makes me break out. I just rely on the sunscreen in my foundation. Would love some suggestions for her! Happy New Year! Marnie
gettingstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 06:46 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Marnie

I know that Skinceuticals makes a Daily Sun Defense in SPF 20 and 30. A little goes a long way; it's not cheap but it's the only one that doesn't clog my pores. Some websites carry samples you can try, like Essential Day Spa out of Canada. It's worth a try. Alexis
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 07:12 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

Shampoo/Conditioner -- I really like the newer Neutrogena haircare products - I believe that they are called Neutrogena Triple Moisture and work great on dry hair. (whenever CVS has a buy one get one half off sale, I stock up.) My styling products are Biolage for hairspray and Goldwell gel -- I also love L'Oreal's Smooth Frizz-Free Serum. (I get the salon brands for free (thank God) beause my sister is a hairdresser. She also does root touchups and highlights and everything else for free so this saves me a lot of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foundation (I use this as my concealer when I have breakouts) -- Max Factor's Color Adaptor Foundation or something that sounds like that LOL, which I only use to spot treat.

Mascara -- Max Factor's Stretch and Separate (love, love, love this mascara.)

Makeup (eye shadow, blush/bronzer, lipstick) -- Armani. I absolutely love Armani makeup -- pricey but exceptional quality. I have a hard time finding makeup because I am very fair (I use Armani's #0 which looks like white-out (yes, that is how ghostly my skin is) and I have blonde hair but brown eyes, so I like a more natural look and years ago when Armani came out I had a phone consultation with the makeup rep at Saks in NY and I gave her my coloring and she sent me a box of makeup with beautiful selections that she felt would look great on me and absolutely work for me. (there is a particular eyeshadow and lipstick that I have been sticking for three years now and looks great on me -- I don't use several colors on my eyes e.g. contour, lid, etc. so it is not that pricey for me -- I basically buy one eyeshadow, one lipstick and one bronzer and that is it -- they are also very long lasting, so although pricey, they do last me a long time.

I also use eyeliner from MAC (I use lightly a little bit of Navy blended together with Rosemary and Thyme (greenish color) and this makes my brown eyes pop.)

Acne -- I never had to deal with Acne until I turned 30 but I have seen great results with Neutrogena's Acne Kit (incl. cleanser, spot treatment and even a bottle of spf 15) -- I have been using pretty much the cleanser 3x a week and have not had a breakout in two months. Kit is under $30 and has been a godsend for me.

Spf -- I really like Neutrogena's Dry Touch in spf 45.

Skincare -- I am a complete skincare "ho" -- I have tried anything and everything from the most expensive to the cheapest and nothing has done anything for me (meaning my only area of concern is that horrid vertical line between the brows and I would love to get rid of it but am not interested in botox, so I look for items that help plump up the skin but to no avail. I just got as a gift two items from Re Vive which is a very pricey line - I got a moisturizer and eyecream but have only been using them for 2 days, so too soon to tell, although my face feels soft. I only use a little, so I can see the two items lasting me a very long time -- it better for the amount they cost LOL A nice product which makes your skin very soft is the Neutrogena Face Peel (not sure of the correct name) - I think that it costs around $27 but I only use it once a week if a I remember -- it is like microdermabrasion in a jar.
lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 07:44 PM  
dsr5

My new finds....

My first find of the new year (ok, I found it around christmas, does that count?) is Jason's handcreams. This line is usually known for their face stuff, but I got their Aloe Vera and NaPCA handcreams and all I can say is WOW. Not at all greasy (a little wet when you first apply them), but they really leave my hands soft. These are now my hg handcreams for the foreseeable future.

Donna
dsr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-05, 08:09 PM  
deanne
VF Supporter

I'm determined to keep up with this thread this year! It gets sooooo long that I'm afraid if I don't start at the beginning, I'll be lost!

My favorites this year....

Because of an injury, I believe the stress hormones in my body wrecked havoc on my face early in the year ProActiv to the rescue! I've been so so happy with this line. It's made a world of difference- I rarely break out at all now.

I'm beginning to also slow down aging now, too. :rolleyes: I couldn't love Neutrogena's Advanced Solutions Facial Peel more. This stuff is absolutely fantastic! My skin glows & is so smooth & dewy. LOVE IT!

I actually bought some more expensive things this year that I adore: Sue Devitt silky blush in Koh Samui is fabulous with my coloring, Nars eyeshadow in Key Largo gives me sparkle, FINALLY a foundation that I like & it's easy to find: Loreal True Match! and for Xmas I got Clinque's superbalms gift set- slightly tinted glosses that feel great. I love glosses!

I'm looking forward to trying Laura Merceir lip stuff next. I pay homage to StephB on the YaYas as she is my "consultant"!

Deanne
deanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty thread, shapewear, spanx