Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-10, 04:53 PM  
F1mom

Calling All Purgers: What Did You Keep and Why?

Huge purge going on here. I'm down to one shelf that is loosely packed; stuff is actually leaning for the first time since, oh, 1997.

I'm keeping:

Turbo Jam (new except the intro and 20 Minute Workout)
Raviana Fat Free, Ultimate Stretch and Beginners & Beyond
Yoga Booty Ballet
Karen Voight Sleek Essentials
Karen Voight Total Body Training
Kathy Smith Latin Rhythm Workout
KS Peel off The Pounds Pilates
KS Fat Burning Pilates
Squeeze
Squeeze Stronger
Squeeze Lower Body
Core Fusion Pilates Plus (just got in trade)
Windsor Pilates Basic Workout Set (a new trade)
Ellen Barret Slim Sculpt (another new trade)

And I'm debating whether to keep Leslie Sansone's 3 Fast Miles & 5 Day Fit Walk.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 05:01 PM  
ldy_solana

most of my kickboxing
barre
yoga
pilates
yoga booty ballet
bellydance
exercise tv
jillians
jackie
and a mish mosh of other things.

i was mainly trying to purge what i just had way to much of that i couldn't fit it in like step and hi-lo. i didn't need a lot of my strength training stuff b/c i am going other routes with that and what i keep fits a little into that bill.

i am still having a hard time letting some of my stuff go but i know i really really like the workout but i say if i don't give it a shot within a certain amount of time then i have to let it go on trade or sale. i have done pretty good so far but my goal is to get down to under 200

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 05:10 PM  
Lulu Belle

What?! No Firm? Not even one little, teeny Firm? Didn't you say that the Firm was where it all began for you? (I'm in the same boat)! I'm impressed!
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 05:17 PM  
ldy_solana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu Belle View Post
What?! No Firm? Not even one little, teeny Firm? Didn't you say that the Firm was where it all began for you? (I'm in the same boat)! I'm impressed!
actually i still have two

kassia

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 05:32 PM  
alisoncooks

I am a world-class purger.....I don't allow my collection to grow past 30ish...though I've had well over 100 videos pass through my hands.

What I've kept:
*My KCMs (30 min format's a keeper & they're soooo versatile...but I don't know that I'll be tempted by much more from her)
*Gilad Express (got rid of all my other Gilad--and I had them all--Express filled all my Gilad needs)
*Bar Method Change Your Body (most favorite and most used of all my barre w/o's....I've had and gotten rid of them all)
*2 Leslie compilations that have my faves and variety
*2 yoga videos each with 3 short workouts (all the yoga I could need/want)

In add'n to these, I have about 5 or so w/o that I *like* (but don't love) but are on my trade list. I can take them or leave them.

Usually, my pattern follows this: I "discover" an instructor/genre and then acquire ALL videos of interest w/in said group. Then I usually narrow it down to just 2-3 that I really truly like...so a serious purge follows. Then a few months later, something else interests me, so I start to collect (but luckily, each time a refining purge follows, so I only keep the "best of the best").
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 07:43 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu Belle View Post
Lulu Belle, you were asking F1mom, right? As I recall, she is (was?) a HUGE Firm fan...
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 08:57 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Lulu Belle, you were asking F1mom, right? As I recall, she is (was?) a HUGE Firm fan...

LOL! Yes, I'll always be a fan of the FIRM, just not able to keep all the gadgets with another baby on the way. I mentioned on another thread that the crib dust ruffle was standing almost at 90 degrees because of the FL, TF and The Wave.

I've comforted myself with buying perhaps Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 from FF once the dust has cleared. My knees just cannot take the 14" step anyways. I really am BBH kinda girl, not really a Good Times or pink FIRM kinda girl.

Last edited by F1mom; 06-30-10 at 09:10 PM. Reason: left out a whole sentence.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 12:39 AM  
ilovemybirds

My collection is down to about 48 or so dvds, and they're mainly Leslie, Tracey Mallett, and several of the Caribbean workouts. I have a few random ones, and I may trade most of those, because I haven't done them in ages (there's one I haven't even tried yet!). The two random ones that aren't a part of my Leslie/Tracey M/Caribbean triumverate that I'll definitely keep are Tamilee's stretch dvd and Denise's Hit the Spot Arms on VHS (I LOVE this one!)
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 06:54 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I used to purge, but I've regretted and rebought dvds so many times that I now keep everything!!!
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 07:07 AM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

I keep a good variety of dvds. One way I've been able to purge, though, is to get rid of - or lend out - the dvds that require equiptment that I no longer have because of purges when moving. I also give lots of dvds to my little sister - I'm "lending" her these dvds, but it's usually the case that I'll never see them again. If I haven't done a dvd in a while, that doesn't mean I'll get rid of it. I'm more likely to get rid of redundancies - especially where the style/genre/instructor is not something I do often. How will I need variety if I don't get to that style/instructor more often than every other month or so?
Also, I've done stuff like plan a couple months of a rotation. At that point, I realize just how many dvds I have! If I don't feel like putting one of my dvds on a projected 3 month rotation, it makes me question whether I actually like that dvd enough to keep it - enough to do it.

Tags
collections, decluttering, minimalist