Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-21, 11:09 AM  
jusca

You're perfectly sane! I have a bare minimum fb for my groups too. I still have a personal fb that is abandoned for several years but i keep it up because i have old pics on it. It's been really peaceful having a no friends account. I don't have to see anyone's drama online. The only annoying thing is fb still tries to suggest people I may know. I am wondering how I have no friends on that account.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 12:37 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I actually loathe FaceBook. I only belong to keep up with some friends and family members. (Which I kind of regret sometimes as I see photos of them carelessly flaunt any mask or social distancing mandates.) ROLLEYES!!!

I do like to post photos of my craft projects there.

I was hoping the political crap would settle down at some point. Um, no...

I've never joined any FB groups. I have never joined Twitter, Instagram or any of the other platforms.

I stick to VF!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 12:52 PM  
TinaT

I like to be a part of VF Roost for the most part and here.

I grew up in a time where the phone was left at home attached to the wall. We were lucky to get 3 channels on the TV with "rabbit ears" and we had to get up to change the channel.

Technology is good for some things, but I really don't miss it. I use a phone that is at least 6 years old. (Samsung S6). Yes, a dinosaur to most. But it works, so why replace it.

I like simple.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 01:15 PM  
warriorprincess

I also use two accounts. One for friends and family and local businesses that I check briefly to see if anyone posted anything interesting. The other one is for groups that I'm interested in. I tend to use Reddit for that now though.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 01:54 PM  
Taiga

I refused to join FB, Twitter etc because they initially seemed like huge time sucks and honestly the data mining seemed very creepy and manipulative. After watching the effects on friends, family and even total strangers, I never came to regret that decision. These platforms seem to bring out the worst in people and I honestly believe that the creators stoke that frenzy to make more money. I especially feel sorry for children/teens because they seem to be under a huge emotional burden thanks to the push of body image issues, bullying etc.

More and more, I am hearing people around me talk about getting off these platforms for good. The timing surprises me since many people are home more due to Covid restrictions. But maybe that has also given people the time to re-evaluate. And maybe Covid's emotional burden has made people unwilling to tolerate any additional (optional) negativity in their lives. I don't think the human brain benefits from a non-stop barrage of information, judgment, criticisms, envy etc

One thing is certain--less sitting in front of the screen can forward fitness goals and often reduce stress
Old 01-28-21, 03:18 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I depend on many avenues to help me with my health and fitness journey. This place is one of them. I recently made a personal decision to get off FB so that I spend my time differently. BUT... I found I also had a couple of groups I enjoyed being a part of. Like VF Roost, and following a couple of instructors.

So, I went back in and stripped down my profile to nothing other than those few groups. No friends. All my settings are private. Just access to fitness pages that help me.

Please tell me I'm not crazy or that I'm alone in doing this! Following certain instructors is very motivating for me.

I would love to hear some thoughts on this.
You're no alone! I created a Facebook account just to join VF Roost 3 years ago. I never connected it to friends or family. I follow fitness instructors and am in private fitness-related groups.

I don't feel the need to know what everyone is up to, and my friends and family will text me pictures or call to update me on their lives knowing that I wouldn't see their Facebook post.

It's been good for my tween daughter to see how I only use Facebook (and recently Instagram) to learn more and read tips on topics I enjoy most - like fitness!
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 03:19 PM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I grew up in a time where the phone was left at home attached to the wall. We were lucky to get 3 channels on the TV with "rabbit ears" and we had to get up to change the channel.

Technology is good for some things, but I really don't miss it. I use a phone that is at least 6 years old. (Samsung S6). Yes, a dinosaur to most. But it works, so why replace it.

I like simple.
Ha Ha! This is me! We had two phones in our house when I was growing up. One in the kitchen and one in my parents bedroom. And I remember being the remote! I still have an IPhone 5 and have no desire to upgrade. I have a FB account but I'm not active on it and it's private. I only have it for VF Roost which I haven't been on for a LONG time and for family pictures. Like most of ya'll, this forum is my social media outlet. I like simple as well and the other stuff can become too overwhelming. I heard a great quote once - live simply so that other's can simply live.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 12:24 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I was invited to join Facebook eons ago when it was still very nascent because I work in high tech... and well, all these folks are connected in Silicon Valley. I didn't join back then and since then, I've half heartedly created/updated a ghost-like profile because I was in discussions with Facebook recruiters/hiring managers and figured I should try to be on the platform (but didn't end up jumping ship so gave up on updating my profile -- LOL!) I was on Twitter only to monitor postings about commuter train delays And so here I am, a content Luddite living and working in Silicon Valley... And the following is the best thing I read today in the news!

WSJ Obituaries - 1/28/2021
At Age 115, She Was Content to Look Out Her Window
In an age when people are bombarded almost constantly with disturbing news and commentary, Iris Westman had no access to social media and rarely watched television.

That may be one reason she lived with remarkable serenity to the age of 115.

Ms. Westman died of natural causes, unrelated to Covid-19, on Jan. 3 at a nursing home in Northwood, N.D. She was listed by the Gerontology Research Group as the second-oldest living American, behind Hester Ford of North Carolina, who is believed to be either 115 or 116.

In an interview five years ago, Ms. Westman was asked for her impression of Donald Trump, then campaigning for president. “I’ve heard of him,” she said. “Not enough to express an opinion.”

She had more to say about Warren G. Harding, who served as president from 1921 until his death in 1923. Mr. Harding may not have been a great president, she said, but she remembered having a soft spot for him. “He was awfully good looking,” she said.

She could no longer see well enough to read easily but enjoyed listening to audio books. History and travel were preferred themes.

Her nursing home offered daily gatherings for cards, bingo or other amusements. Though she sometimes took part in those activities, she said, “I don’t need to have lots of things going on. I can be quite content sitting here and looking out the window and not seeing anything.” Outside, the countryside was flat and drifted with snow.

During the interview, she sat upright and poised in a plush easy chair. Her hair was stylishly waved. She wore a knit top with a geometrical pattern over wine-colored slacks. Near her chair was a folder containing a letter the White House sent her in 2015 to congratulate her on her 110th birthday.

She shrugged off questions about her longevity. “You just sit back and it happens,” she said. “The Lord takes care of it, and He knows what He’s doing, so we should just sit back and let Him do it.”

Ms. Westman “never wanted to be known for being old,” said Katie Pinke, whose great grandfather was one of Ms. Westman’s brothers. “That wasn’t something that she found particularly newsworthy.”

Born on Aug. 28, 1905, she grew up on a farm near Aneta, N.D., with her parents and three brothers. Her parents, of Norwegian descent, encouraged their children to read at an early age. When she got to first grade she was shocked to find some of her fellow students hadn’t begun reading. “I thought, For pity’s sakes,” she recalled.

The family had a Ford car but needed horse-drawn sleds to get around in the winter because roads were often impassable. She remembered the pleasing scent of candles burning on the Christmas tree during a brief home service. One of her brothers stood by with a pail of water in case of fire. Presents were few: “We’d get one fun gift, like a toy, and otherwise we’d get something new to wear.”

After graduating from the University of North Dakota in 1928, she taught English at several schools in North Dakota and Minnesota. Later she studied library science and became the librarian at an elementary school, until retiring in 1972. She preferred working with younger children. “Teenagers were getting to be a little difficult to deal with, and I didn’t want to fight them, so I stayed with the elementary school,” she said. “Which means I’m a coward.”

She never married. Did she come close? “Well, a couple of times, but I think it was very well that I didn’t.”

She fondly remembered a kitten once given to her by a neighbor. It was so scruffy and unsightly at first sight that she mockingly named it Aphrodite, after the Greek goddess, only to realize later it was a male cat. “He was a very smart cat,” she said.

Other favorite memories included travels to the East Coast, a cruise through the Great Lakes, and tours of Scandinavia and Western Europe.

As for politics, she was willing to assume almost any crisis could be survived. When Franklin Roosevelt died, she said, “I thought, ‘Oh, what’s going to happen to the country?’ I figured what did Truman know? But he stepped up and was very good.”

Write to James R. Hagerty at bob.hagerty@wsj.com

Copyright ©2020 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
Appeared in the January 28, 2021, print edition as 'At 115, She Knew How to Enjoy Life.'
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 07:35 AM  
antbuko

I quit Facebook altogether about four years ago. I do sometimes have miss interaction with distant family and I was a part of some good groups that I occasionally miss but then I remember, life was just fine before Facebook.
Old 01-29-21, 01:02 PM  
ChelePA

I have been contemplating quitting or limiting the amount of time on the site. Scrolling and wasting time. It definitely can be addictive. Exactly what they are hoping. There are some pros such as connecting with friends and family. Plus all the fitness related pages to name a few. You have me rethinking my involvement.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
facebook, social media